ADVERTISEMENT

Does Buster Posey deserve to be in baseball's Hall of Fame?

Does Buster Posey deserve to be in baseball's Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
He announced his retirement after 11 seasons (he didn't play in 2021).

Buster Posey's stats at Baseball-Reference

11 seasons, 1371 games (av. 124/season); 1093 game as catcher, 229 at 1B, 21 at DH
.302 BA/.372 OPB/.460 SLG/.831 OPS/129 OPS+
1500 hits (av. 136/season)
150 home runs (14/season)
663 runs, 729 RBI (60/season, 66/season)
540 walks, 731 strikeouts (49/season, 66/season)
44.9 WAR (4.08/season), 36.6 WAR7 (average Hall of Famer: 53.8 WAR, 34.8 WAR7)
Black Ink 4 (average Hall of Famer 27)
Grey Ink 44 (average Hall of Famer 144)

5 postseasons, 58 games
57 hits
5 HR
18 runs, 25 RBI
23 walks, 47 strikeouts
.252 BA/.321 OBP/.345 SLG/.667 OPS

3 x World Series champion (2010, 2012, 2014)
Rookie of the Year (2010)
1 x NL MVP (2012)
7 x All-Star
1 x Golden Glove
5 x Silver Slugger
Played his whole career with one team.

Do you think he qualifies? I think he's a lock. A lot of others don't, and they've got a point: Posey compares well to Thurman Munson, who's not in the Hall.

Thurman Munson's stats at Baseball-Reference

He’s continued to catch in an era where good hitters are almost always moved to a different position to preserve their career. Managed to catch ~ 100 games/year throughout his career, and was a > .300 hitter with all sorts of hardware.

He’s a Hall of Famer to me.

Well, his GS against my Reds in game 5 of the divisional series in 2012 is in my personal Hall of Fame of kicks to my nuts, sports wise.

Does that count as a Yes or a No vote?

I'd put him in. Catchers should be viewed differently, IMHO. They just get beat to death. He was one of the best at his position for a decade.

I had no idea he only played 11 seasons. Seems like he's been around forever.

Imo to answer that, you have to decide how strict you want Hall of Fame standards. Imo there are to many in the Hall already who should not be. If you compare him to weaker players already in, the answer is yes. But with stricter standards, I say no. I'd didn't follow him closely as the Cards didn't play him a lot, but I understand he was not great defensively and his career was not a long one. He was a very good hitter, but close but no cigar.

Hot topic on MLB radio today. Takeaway was in today’s soft HOF voting he will get in. A comp I kept hearing was Jorge Posada who won’t get in and he had more homers, rbis, hits and a similar OBP. Not saying Jorge should be in or Buster simply that HOF voting seems arbitrary and petty at times.

He will probably get in as it seems anyone with a decent career that didn't use/or be accused of using steroids now seems to get in. Its a popularity contest now... Thats Jeter and Rivera get a higher percentage of votes than, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Willie May's, Bob Gibson, etc.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Buster was the best hitting catcher in the league for most of his prime decade, same as Posada was. Very similar careers, although Buster was better defensively. Both deserve to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT