ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think playing in Rich "Bring on the blitz" Scangarello's system hurt Levis?

Yes. He was talked about as potentially the first QB taken before the season started after a year with Coen. We all watched him get neutered and turned into a “game manager” under Scang while we screwed w blocking schemes and long developing routes and he was told not to scramble (which was a strength the year before).

Scang cost Levis millions

Scan's system definitely limited Levis' running, which hurt the team and his stats. Of course, getting banged up behind a bad OL probably didn't help either. Honestly, it felt like everyone on the offense played like they had so many things they were thinking about each play that they forgot to actually play. The OL was consistently confused, the WRs sometimes didn't run the correct route or half-assed it, the RBs (except CRod), seemingly made the wrong read more times than not and ran into a defender or the back of the OL.

Will looked a bit overwhelmed at times and, unexpectedly to me, didn't seem to have gotten better his 2nd season in making quick decisions, in making the right decision, not overestimating his ability to throw a dart into coverage, etc. Couple that with the toe injury that surfaced late and maybe that explains the fall.

I'd bet right now that Levis has as good a career as at least one of the QBs taken higher. Levis seems like the kid who, when embarrassed, will vow to make all those doubters eat their words. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a film junkie and works harder than anyone else. If so, he's got the physical ability to be a very solid NFL QB. If he's pissed and embarrassed enough to 'show those f*ckers', maybe falling into the 2nd round will be a blessing in disguise.

I hope so for him and for UK's program. Think the Colts GM and the Marketing Director at Bud Light might have plenty of time to spend together in the next year or two.

Last edited:
I hate to say this because I am a Stoops guy but man he made a really bad hire when he hired Scan, obviously.
Scan was an inflexible egghead who could not relate to college age kids. Comparing him to Coen would just be an embarrassment to Rich. There I said it.

Rich just seemed like a square peg in a round hole from the beginning to me.
I do 100%, I think that and our weak line not only caused issues with how he was perceived and the tape this year, but also the injuries which now they are saying may not be healed. Turf Toe can be a nagging injury for a long time.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
If he's pissed and embarrassed enough to 'show those f*ckers', maybe falling into the 2nd round will be a blessing in disguise.
This isn’t the first time he was passed over. And the result of Penn State’s neglect was a blessing to Kentucky.

Somebody is about to draft a guy who makes good on second chances and thrives with a chip on his shoulder.

AR15 had better prove his worth, or heads will roll in Indy.

Yes, Levis has room to improve, but AR15 was just the third QB the last 25 years to be drafted first round with less than a 55% completion percentage.

And personality wise. as someone said on here awhile back, Scan is like your old HS science teacher, Coen is like your old HS Gym teacher. I am so pissed for Will over this. Who hired Scan anyway ?

Yeah, but I don't think that was the only problem. The OL was uncharacteristically terrible last year and Will's toe issues certainly didn't help. Talented WRs but young and prone to mistakes. Rodriguez being out the first 4 games. I'm no Rich defender, but truth be told, I'm not sure we got a chance to see what he was really capable of. That being said, I'm very glad Coen is back.

I just think last year was the perfect storm of crap for UKs offense. That wouldn't bother me so much if it was an aberration, but Stoops has only recently really started to see the light about needing a more dynamic and explosive offense. He still hasn't figured out how to bring it completely to fruition. Maybe this is the year, who knows. They better get a solid backup QB in the portal though. I like Leary but he has proven to be injury prone.

Last edited:
Absolutely it hurt.

The plan seemed to be “force feed him a NFL offense for better or for worse.” And with our line, injuries, and Scrang’s unwillingness to change even a little for the betterment of the team (to be fair, he may have been hired to relentlessly push a NFL offense and saw no reason to change) definitely backfired. I don’t think anyone saw it going this poorly.

what hurt Levis last year was an Oline that couldn't protect him and an injury that hobbled him a hood part of the season. would love to see the Titans take him in the second round.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
The thing about the Oline is we should’ve used the portal. Not taking anyone was a major mistake in hindsight.

This isn’t the first time he was passed over. And the result of Penn State’s neglect was a blessing to Kentucky.

Somebody is about to draft a guy who makes good on second chances and thrives with a chip on his shoulder.

Yes, Levis has room to improve, but AR15 was just the third QB the last 25 years to be drafted first round with less than a 55% completion percentage.
That's crazy! i'm assuming one of the channels coverage of the draft mentioned that about richardson. Who are the other 2 to be drafted under 55%?

And when AR misses, he misses badly, like some of the worst duck throws I've ever seen from a starting SEC QB. It's honestly shocking how someone can look at WIll's tape and have all these questions even though he showed out at the combine with the traits that are important for a QB, but they can look at AR's tape, clearly see much worse decision making and accuracy but be wowed so much by his speed, and ability to jump (which is important in football for a QB how? I guess they are planning to run the Tebow jump pass a lot?)

Just curious - who were the others?

Scan's system definitely limited Levis' running, which hurt the team and his stats. Of course, getting banged up behind a bad OL probably didn't help either. Honestly, it felt like everyone on the offense played like they had so many things they were thinking about each play that they forgot to actually play. The OL was consistently confused, the WRs sometimes didn't run the correct route or half-assed it, the RBs (except CRod), seemingly made the wrong read more times than not and ran into a defender or the back of the OL.

Will looked a bit overwhelmed at times and, unexpectedly to me, didn't seem to have gotten better his 2nd season in making quick decisions, in making the right decision, not overestimating his ability to throw a dart into coverage, etc. Couple that with the toe injury that surfaced late and maybe that explains the fall.

I'd bet right now that Levis has as good a career as at least one of the QBs taken higher. Levis seems like the kid who, when embarrassed, will vow to make all those doubters eat their words. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a film junkie and works harder than anyone else. If so, he's got the physical ability to be a very solid NFL QB. If he's pissed and embarrassed enough to 'show those f*ckers', maybe falling into the 2nd round will be a blessing in disguise.

I hope so for him and for UK's program. Think the Colts GM and the Marketing Director at Bud Light might have plenty of time to spend together in the next year or two.
Here’s a hot take. Scangarellos system killed the oline bc for the first time in stoops tenure our oc made our qb stay in the pocket well before he was injured and well after. If the qb is a threat to run that changes the oline dynamic.

Last edited:
And personality wise. as someone said on here awhile back, Scan is like your old HS science teacher, Coen is like your old HS Gym teacher. I am so pissed for Will over this. Who hired Scan anyway ?
I heard it was fat bald man with bourbon on his breath and ketchup on his shirt...

I'm excited we're trying a trick Mitch must remember from his UT days- bringing a former successful assistant back for a second run at things. Come to think of it, "hoping lightning strikes the same place twice" seems to be our plan on the basketball side of things too. How is that reunion tour working out?

I'm sure he is a nice guy but I don't think I have ever been so glad to see a UK assistant shown the door as much as when he was
It's a close race between Scan and Shannon Dawson, but I have to agree with you. Dawson set our program back a few years with his crap, but Scan single-handedly ruined a good thing we had going after Coen's lone year.

Here’s a hot take. Scangarellos system killed the oline bc for the first time in stoops tenure out of made out qb stay in the pocket well before he was injured and well after. If the qb is a threat to run that changes the oline dynamic.
Yeah I was coming on here pre-season last year when things were still really optimistic between Scana and Will and the offense, and I was worried about comments we were hearing out of camp that Scan didnt want Will running a much. I made the same point you were that Will's running HAD TO BE part of our offense or we were going to struggle because it is a huge dynamic that when removed restricts everything else you are trying to do in the passing game as well.

You have to have a QB that can break down plays with his feet when needed to keep the defense honest and keep drives alive period in todays college game and Will was good at that. He's not a good scrambler and doesnt have the best escability but he could run the QB draws etc that were built into our offense.

I understand we didnt have a QB2 to count on behind him but I also alwasy contended that you are protecting him by leaving him in the pocket. Its just the opposite, he is much more vulnerabel to injury there than running as he takes unprotected and unprepared for hits in the pocket where he is always able to brace himself on running plays where he can see whats coming. And that played out to be true to our detriment last year.

Yeah I was coming on here pre-season last year when things were still really optimistic between Scana and Will and the offense, and I was worried about comments we were hearing out of camp that Scan didnt want Will running a much. I made the same point you were that Will's running HAD TO BE part of our offense or we were going to struggle because it is a huge dynamic that when removed restricts everything else you are trying to do in the passing game as well.

You have to have a QB that can break down plays with his feet when needed to keep the defense honest and keep drives alive period in todays college game and Will was good at that. He's not a good scrambler and doesnt have the best escability but he could run the QB draws etc that were built into our offense.

I understand we didnt have a QB2 to count on behind him but I also alwasy contended that you are protecting him by leaving him in the pocket. Its just the opposite, he is much more vulnerabel to injury there than running as he takes unprotected and unprepared for hits in the pocket where he is always able to brace himself on running plays where he can see whats coming. And that played out to be true to our detriment last year.
Skankygorilla turned Levis from a hammer into a nail.

Especially if you make a guy stand in the pocket and take him from his comfort zone. That’s called a sitting duck.

I don't think therevis any doubt the OC wasn't up to expectations. But UK lost a lot more offensively off the 21 team. A couple OL including an AA and almost all its receiving yards. Wandale Robinson had almost half of UK's receiving yards and was WL's go to guy. While deeper and maybe more overall talented, there wasn't that safety net that Robinson provided.

Yes and no. Being exposed to the Shanahan offense and all its intricacies was good experience. That the team failed to pick up the offense/blocking schemes made him look bad at times and got him injured from the repeated hits he took.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Stoops fired Scang for a reason, but the guy lost Wan’Dale and a couple of NFL linemen and had Horsey playing tackle and a first time center. That OL last year could not have been what he bargained for.

All true. Plus will dig his own grave to an extent. I posted this stuff for two years about all the presnap and post snap reads he missed, the continued failure to step up in the pocket, and and how troublesome it was to see the exact same mistakes under both coaches. The guy is so raw but kept making the same mistakes.

Was his ol less than stellar? Yes. However consider the fact crod looked good behind the same ol. That's the difference in a really good college player vs a guy that's just potential. Levis made the ol look way worse than they were. Plus he missed so many open guys last year. Those things alone kept us in awful situations much of the time.

That said, I still think he should've gone #2 and at worst #4. At least stroud at #2 is defensible.

I love Will and hope like hell be overcomes these shortcomings and unleashes those incredible physical tools to become the great QB we all want to see

But he has won us more games than ever so I won’t hate on him. If he ever does get a legit offense(hopefully now that Coen is back) we can win 10 games in the regular season and have a legit chance at the East one year.
Coan had been there ladt season levis would have went alot higher he would have help the o line with play calling..last season play calls was awful.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Levis has two talents. Running and the long ball. Coen called plays to take advantage of that. Scang forced him to stay in the pocket. With that being said, I don’t think Levis will ever be a great nfl qb. Good, maybe. Great, no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT