ADVERTISEMENT

Do you support the decision to reinstate the UK-IU series?

Do you support the decision to reinstate the UK-IU series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We’re playing Stonehill. Stone hill. Ended last season Kenpom ranked 331 out of 363 teams. We’re not playing them as an exhibition game either. Regular season. And you want me to believe it’s bad if we play IU because we don’t win enough if we beat IU and we lose too much if we lose to IU? 👌🏻

Last edited:
I’m for it, and I don’t understand this argument that we’re so high and mighty that we shouldn’t dignify them with a game or whatever. They aren’t quite on our level historically, but there’s at most 5 other programs who can claim that (Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Duke, and if we’re counting modern success, UConn). Unless you’re advocating that we basically don’t play a non-conference schedule outside a handful of games from that small group of teams, we have to play somebody, so we could do a whole lot worse than a Big 10 team that’s likely to be in tournament contention. Even if the rivalry doesn’t have as much juice as the Hall/Knight days, the fact that there’s history there just adds a little spice.

We gain nothing and incure all the risk. Their fans are trash. I hate losing to IU more than any other school, because I grew up in central Indy.

That said.... play them. Play them every year. In an era where college basketball is eroding, play the game because the rivalry is good for the sport and the fans.

Yes or no?
I despise IU. But I could not care less about the UK-IU series until we get our own internal house in order. I love Mitch Barnhart for everything he has accomplished. Mitch has been a miracle worker. But Mitch and Cal have not gotten along, and it makes it harder for Mitch to enforce standards. This boiled over after Cal blindsided Mitch by declaring Kentucky a basketball school.

Way back when Steve Spurrier was winning championships at Florida, Spurrier got too big for his britches and fought with Jeremy Foley over admission standards. Spurrier put Florida's admissions office in some tough spots. After Spurrier's argument with Foley boiled over, the Provost presented Spurrier with an ultimatum. Soon, Spurrier was coaching the Washington Redskins, which did not work out. He ended up at South Carolina, where his career fizzled.

Mitch and Cal are headed in that direction unless they communicate better. It happened to Knight, Spurrier, Meyer, Pitino, and Tucker. It can happen to any of these narcissists. Mitch is letting Cal hang himself. The University wants the basketball program to put the University's best foot forward. At times, it has, like raising money for flood and tornado victims. But there have been embarrassments. Enes Kanter, Tai Wynyard, Jared Vanderbilt, Shaedon Sharpe, poor March tournament performances, the basketball school thing. The program is slowly getting dumbed down and fans are divided now. Cal said he would never play in Bloomington again. But now he will. If Cal dominates this series extension, fine. But he better. This is a no-win for us, but an opportunity for IU.

We got 2 home games and they got 1 plus a fairly neutral site.

We won it all in 2012 and played them. Maybe it helps get us another title.

I went to the neutral site games and it was a great atmosphere

Reactions: herrli
We’re playing Stonehill. Stone hill. Ended last season Kenpom ranked 331 out of 363 teams. We’re not playing them as an exhibition game either. Regular season. And you want me to believe it’s bad if we play IU because we don’t win enough if we beat IU and we lose too much if we lose to IU? 👌🏻
I mean. IU was ranked 30th in Kenpom at the end of last season. We were like 27th.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I despise IU. But I could not care less about the UK-IU series until we get our own internal house in order. I love Mitch Barnhart for everything he has accomplished. Mitch has been a miracle worker. But Mitch and Cal have not gotten along, and it makes it harder for Mitch to enforce standards. This boiled over after Cal blindsided Mitch by declaring Kentucky a basketball school.

Way back when Steve Spurrier was winning championships at Florida, Spurrier got too big for his britches and fought with Jeremy Foley over admission standards. Spurrier put Florida's admissions office in some tough spots. After Spurrier's argument with Foley boiled over, the Provost presented Spurrier with an ultimatum. Soon, Spurrier was coaching the Washington Redskins, which did not work out. He ended up at South Carolina, where his career fizzled.

Mitch and Cal are headed in that direction unless they communicate better. It happened to Knight, Spurrier, Meyer, Pitino, and Tucker. It can happen to any of these narcissists. Mitch is letting Cal hang himself. The University wants the basketball program to put the University's best foot forward. At times, it has, like raising money for flood and tornado victims. But there have been embarrassments. Enes Kanter, Tai Wynyard, Jared Vanderbilt, Shaedon Sharpe, poor March tournament performances, the basketball school thing. The program is slowly getting dumbed down and fans are divided now. Cal said he would never play in Bloomington again. But now he will. If Cal dominates this series extension, fine. But he better. This is a no-win for us, but an opportunity for IU.
Nobody blindsided anyone with that comment. Cal shouldn't have said it but we have the second most titles in NCAA history. That would be like Saban saying Alabama was a football school. Cal shouldn't have said it and I'm not defending him but people act like he said something amazingly taboo. What's even more ridiculous is both programs got in a tizzy and both programs didn't do SQUAT in the post season.

Spurrier Made the Pitino mistake. Nothing More, Nothing Less. Had he and Rick stayed where they should've their stories are a lot different.

How is Enes Kanter an embarrassment? That was not on UK; that was the NCAA being a complete PITA as usual.

How is Jarred Vanderbilt an embarrassment? He was literally hurt during his time here and still played a few games.

How is Tai Wynward an embarrassment? He was here for two years and injured a disk. Yes, he was suspended for attending a party with someone that had a gun. HAD. Meanwhile, at Bama with Oats (who's ass everyone loves to kiss.....) As far as his sparse playing time, he ws behind freaking Bam.

I'll give you Sharpe. That was BS and Cal shares blame in that.

What do we gain by playing 75% of the teams on our OOC schedule?
Idk but those teams we play at home. Period. You can’t lump iu in with mid majors. They are a failed blue blood who will rise with anytime they beat Kentucky while we move closer to taking there spot. Beating them does nothing for us. It’s a one sided deal. A 4 year home and home? We have that with 75% of the non conference schedule? No only Louisville and that’s another annual game with nothing to gain. Another that should be dropped for fresh opponents. The question really is why IU? No one on UKs side cares about that game only the fervent iu fans. There that’s why we shouldn’t play them. I like the Arizona suggestion and or about 20-30 other teams.

Reactions: SosaUK1987
Idk but those teams we play at home. Period. You can’t lump iu in with mid majors. They are a failed blue blood who will rise with anytime they beat Kentucky while we move closer to taking there spot. Beating them does nothing for us. It’s a one sided deal. A 4 year home and home? We have that with 75% of the non conference schedule? No only Louisville and that’s another annual game with nothing to gain. Another that should be dropped for fresh opponents. The question really is why IU? No one on UKs side cares about that game only the fervent iu fans. There that’s why we shouldn’t play them. I like the Arizona suggestion and or about 20-30 other teams.
So if we did drop UofL that means we'd play no rivalry games at all (minus UT because of conference). UNC is not a given due to not only the ACC/SEC Challenge but the CBS Classic.

So if we did drop UofL that means we'd play no rivalry games at all (minus UT because of conference). UNC is not a given due to not only the ACC/SEC Challenge but the CBS Classic.
Loser like isn’t a rival imo. We are a rival to them but I don’t give a shat about UL. We clean them out every season. Rivalry games go back and forth. We are 38-17 against them. UT imo is a bigger rival right now. No one cares if it’s out of conference look at duke and UNC. I would submit UNC is a bigger rival than UL ooc. Competing blue bloods whose fans really hate each other because the others successes. Those games actually mean something. It’s not a rival when you beat a team like we do UL. It had the pitino factor a few years ago and the 80s UL went no some runs but that’s it. They are the wanna be in state team. Play Cincinnati before UL or IU give someone else a shot.

I live here in southern Indiana surrounded by IU fans . so for that reason I am very happy to see it resume

Then you don't remember what happened last time we went to Assembly Hall.

That was the most disgusting treatment I've ever seen and the administration there did nothing about it.

Imo we should never play there again.
Eye u is irrelevant why play them? Since they
Fired Booby knight they haven’t won crap

UT in conference that’s enough for me. That’s duke UNC that’s their rivalry it’s in conference. Actually most are. USC ucla. Michigan Michigan st Oklahoma Texas on and on and on. I think UNC would admit their biggest non conference rival is UK. So make sure there is a game with them every year. Do a home and home and play it when we aren’t playing them in the cbs deal. I mean that is a legit heavy weight blue blood rivalry. Cultivate the hell outta that. UCLa too should be played every year. I mean we find a way it seems to play ku every year. Duke is afraid of us that will never happen but it’s another game that would have far greater value than playing UL. We are trying to catch UNC in head to head wins and UNC in all else. That’s a must play every year. All that comes from playing ul and iu is vitriol and hatred from their inferior fanbase. That’s the biggest reason it’s a loser for uk. I mean ul iu fans they are obsessed with UK where as UK don’t give a f—- about what’s happening in Bloomington or Louisville

Those of you naming cupcakes we are playing a justification for playing IU are obviously missing the point. Not every game can be high profile, but for the games that are there are a ton of teams more high profile than IU. Those teams also happen to have less detestable fanbases.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKrazycat2
I support playing them and stomping a mudhole in their BB program.

That's the best way to shut them up and make their fans wish they ever asked for this series to resume.

Those of you naming cupcakes we are playing a justification for playing IU are obviously missing the point. Not every game can be high profile, but for the games that are there are a ton of teams more high profile than IU. Those teams also happen to have less destetable fanbases.
I just don't think they're any worse for us to play than another middling program.

I disagree that we don't care. We obviously care. People can say all they want that we don't care. But the message board and people pissed we are playing them shows we care. If we didn't care, it would fly under the radar. People care a lot more about this than they do about playing Miami, and that's a much better program these days.

Rivalries are born out of spite for opposing fan bases a lot of times. We despise their fanbase and they despise ours. We have played Indiana 20 times since they went to the Elite Eight in 1993 (generally considered the end of their run). We are 15-5 in that span and us playing them has done absolutely nothing for their program. They will rise, fall or stay the same regardless if they play us or not. A win over us will not change that.

I am 100% opposed! I will never forget the entire assembly hall crowd in 2011 yelling F--K UK for about 5 consecutive minutes. Additionally several Ky fans in attendance were shoved, slapped and intimidated by a bunch of Hoosier jerks. I lived in the Indianapolis area( the largest neon cornfield in the US) for two years, In my opinion they hate KY and make no bones about it. They do not deserve to have their program elevated by a team they despise. Big mistake!

History is going to repeat itself at that game in Ass Hall. The Losiers are going to treat it like the freakin' Super Bowl and they'll be just crude and thuggish as they were back in 2012. A zebra doesn't change its stripes. You go into a den of snakes, all on meth, with the combined IQ of a barn door and you're just asking for trouble.

Having said that, if we have to play them, I am in favor of the neutral site games. One year in Indy and next in Louisville. Split the tickets 50/50 like in the old RCA Dome. That will be a great tournament-like atmosphere.

But, taking any UK team into Ass Hall ever again is stupid.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
I voted yes because it's what the university chose to do. Idc about Indiana personally. I remember people bitching at calipari because we stopped playing them. Now it's the opposite.

I voted yes because it's what the university chose to do. Idc about Indiana personally. I remember people bitching at calipari because we stopped playing them. Now it's the opposite.
I’ve seen people say this, but there was such a small group who was upset about not playing iu it didn’t matter. The majority didn’t care it was nixed.

I disagree that we don't care. We obviously care. People can say all they want that we don't care. But the message board and people pissed we are playing them shows we care. If we didn't care, it would fly under the radar. People care a lot more about this than they do about playing Miami, and that's a much better program these days.

Rivalries are born out of spite for opposing fan bases a lot of times. We despise their fanbase and they despise ours. We have played Indiana 20 times since they went to the Elite Eight in 1993 (generally considered the end of their run). We are 15-5 in that span and us playing them has done absolutely nothing for their program. They will rise, fall or stay the same regardless if they play us or not. A win over us will not change that.
No one is pissed. It’s like watching the same movie over and over. In all reality so has the entire tenure of cal a really bad one with a massive budget.

That's because Cal has alienated the fan base and some will just crap on anything he does to be contrarians. Don't get me wrong. Cal is still in my dog house. And he's earned EVERY bit of criticism over his screw ups. But Cal could come out tomorrow and say "The sky is blue; and it's blue because blue light has short wave lengths and is scattered more than any other color thus we see it the most." And someone would STILL argue him just because he said it. The shtick gets old from both them AND Cal.

Two programs that have failed for awhile now. Used to be blue bloods now just trying to find some suitable seasons. It was big before, maybe down the line it can be something again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT