ADVERTISEMENT

Do you say "UK" or "Kentucky"?

How do you refer the the school or team(s)?

• UK

• Kentucky

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
I grew up outside of Kentucky and always refer to them as "Kentucky". Probably 99.9% of the time. But noticed my family that lives in the commonwealth refer to them as "UK" a lot. What say you? And does anyone think is has something to do with where you live?

Reactions: EliteBlue
I also live outside the state. I say Kentucky just because people here wouldn't necessarily know what UK was. Of course, that means they're idiots, but still...

Reactions: EliteBlue
After I moved out of State I had to use Kentucky for people to understand. (Don’t know how many United Kingdom references) when talking about UK basketball when overseas or west coast
I even lived in Oregon and had a personalized license plate that just said "UK CATS" and some guy asked me one time if I was from the United Kingdom. I just laughed.

Otherwise, I mostly said Kentucky when out there. I live in Kentucky now and say both Kentucky and UK but mostly UK when talking to people in state or local (here in Lexington).

Reactions: YardCat
As long as it's not what Louisville people say... "U-uh-K" (some amalgamation of "UK" and growing up saying "u-OF-l" their whole lives).

Almost like they get ready to say "of" and literally halfway through remember not to say "of" only after they've already said "o."

Reactions: RunninRichie
I even lived in Oregon and had a personalized license plate that just said "UK CATS" and some guy asked me one time if I was from the United Kingdom. I just laughed.

Otherwise, I mostly said Kentucky when out there. I live in Kentucky now and say both Kentucky and UK but mostly UK when talking to people in state or local (here in Lexington).
When you talk to people about college basketball they understand the term UK and in KY every one knows UK.

I was just shocked about the United Kingdom references. Didn’t know it was a thing! But, the do understand Kentucky Basketball Everywhere

Reactions: ORCAT
Never lived in Kentucky so have always had to say Kentucky so that others understood what I was talking about.

Reactions: chroix
I was in Düsseldorf and we walked across the street when the light was red because no cars were coming in any direction . A German man berated us and said we don’t do that here . The rule is wait for the light to change and we go by the rules unlike you British . I then realized I had my UK hat on .

I wanted to tell him my dad kicked your dad‘s butt but thought better of It .

I was in Düsseldorf and we walked across the street when the light was red because no cars were coming in any direction . A German man berated us and said we don’t do that here . The rule is wait for the light to change and we go by the rules unlike you British . I then realized I had my UK hat on .

They did nazi see that ass whippin' coming...

Smart move esp in the Motherland.

I always say UK. We all live in the state of Kentucky and if you say Kentucky, that includes that shithole called UL.
You say UK and everyone knows exactly where you stand!

I grew up outside of Kentucky and always refer to them as "Kentucky". Probably 99.9% of the time. But noticed my family that lives in the commonwealth refer to them as "UK" a lot. What say you? And does anyone think is has something to do with where you live?
Same for me..I live outside of the state and refer to them as "Kentucky" as I have been asked if the UK on my ball cap stands for Kansas..Wooooppppssss heck no is my answer.

After I moved out of State I had to use Kentucky for people to understand. (Don’t know how many United Kingdom references) when talking about UK basketball when overseas or west coast
Yes, I got a lot of those "UK" vs "the UK" questions over the many years I worked for either British company or company w/ British office.

When you talk to people about college basketball they understand the term UK and in KY every one knows UK.

I was just shocked about the United Kingdom references. Didn’t know it was a thing! But, the do understand Kentucky Basketball Everywhere
Yes, they do and, in fairness, I ran into many UK fans out there. Some honked their horns and gave thumbs up with a big smile when they passed my on highway and saw my UK plate and magnets. But, then there are the clueless ones too.

For me it's a unique situation. My husband is from the UK, so I always have to make sure he understands the context that I'm using "UK" in. Using "Kentucky" would feel weird for me because I live in Kentucky, am from Kentucky, and it almost sounds like saying "Kentucky State" or something lol.

For me it's a unique situation. My husband is from the UK, so I always have to make sure he understands the context that I'm using "UK" in. Using "Kentucky" would feel weird for me because I live in Kentucky, am from Kentucky, and it almost sounds like saying "Kentucky State" or something lol.
I'd go with "the Cats". I use that commonly around family and basketball folks.

I use both.

fVfSsAF.png

Both, along with "The Cats" ... rarely, if ever, do I refer to the team as "The Wildcats" ...

Last edited:
This. Blew my mind when I’d wear a UK shirt and someone would unironically ask me about the United Kingdom

For me it's both but they're not always interchangeable.

For instance, I would say:

"Kentucky destroyed Duke."

and

"I'm wore out from dating a UK cheerleader."

And never the other way around in either case.

For me it's both but they're not always interchangeable.

For instance, I would say:

"Kentucky destroyed Duke."

and

"I'm wore out from dating a UK cheerleader."

And never the other way around in either case.
I never really thought about that, but you're right! There has to be a 'rule' or something that explains why it only works one way. It's like my family and everyone I've known uses "mom and dad", but not "dad and mom".

Reactions: BlueSince92
I never really thought about that, but you're right! There has to be a 'rule' or something that explains why it only works one way. It's like my family and everyone I've known uses "mom and dad", but not "dad and mom".
Exactly!

Usually Kentucky or just “The Cats.” The latter more likely if talking to another fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT