ADVERTISEMENT

Do you agree with Bilas?

I'm okay with it but only because of the point about resetting the fouls, which will lead to fewer FTs. Other than that, it's a pointless change.

Reactions: FlCATFan
Is it just a ploy to get in more commercials at quarter breaks?

How's that?
We currently have four strictly commercial breaks per half, after every four minutes of action.

Women's basketball is now down to three; one at 5 minutes of each quarter and one between quarters in each half.

I don't think it makes a difference either way. It certainly provides consistency throughout all other age groups/leagues.

Absolutely. Reset the fouls so(thanks to crap SEC refs) nobody will be in the bonus for 10+ minutes.

it would be another timeout. if you still have two tv timeouts a quarter. under 16, 12, 8, 4 is four total stoppages. two a quarter plus the quarter recess equals 5. depth wouldn't mean as much and would benefit mid majors or any team without quality depth. if they made only one tv timeout a quarter i'd be all for it. it's nice how are games go under two hours actually. i'd hope it stays that way.

I agree that resetting the fouls every 10 minutes would be a positive move. If it takes going to quarters to get that done, it wouldn't bother me.

TV is going to control the number of breaks for commercials, regardless of the actual rules of the game.

Depends.

Would they be 10 minutes quarters, or 12 minute quarters? The extra 8 minutes/game would be fun to watch, but it would also screw up the stat books in terms of scoring records and things of that nature, obviously giving an advantage to the player's playing with the extra 8 minutes.

it would be another timeout. if you still have two tv timeouts a quarter. under 16, 12, 8, 4 is four total stoppages. two a quarter plus the quarter recess equals 5. depth wouldn't mean as much and would benefit mid majors or any team without quality depth. if they made only one tv timeout a quarter i'd be all for it. it's nice how are games go under two hours actually. i'd hope it stays that way.

Except that's not how they handled the switch with the women's game from halves to quarters.

Resetting the fouls would allow a team like UL free reign. Pitino loves to play 10+ players so he would not worry about foul trouble. I shudder to think what a game would be like watching with them.

the sooner college basketball gets closer to FIBA/NBA rules across the board the sooner college basketball wont suck.

I like the four quarters idea but only if you eliminate some tv timeouts. Have one at each under 5.

Resetting the fouls would allow a team like UL free reign. Pitino loves to play 10+ players so he would not worry about foul trouble. I shudder to think what a game would be like watching with them.

Good point.

Split the difference, reset each quarter, but in the bonus after four or five fouls?

Thoughts?

Of course we should and it should have been changed long ago. 2 halves is stupid and allows bonus free throws for 10 damn minutes.

Change it already.

Is it just a ploy to get in more commercials at quarter breaks?
It will actually be less in-game media timeouts as there will be an under-five media timeout, then the break between quarters. Instead of now there being an in-game media break at under 16, 12, 8, and 4.

As long as this kind of change wouldn't bring more timeouts (TV or otherwise) I wouldn't mind. It's just the TV timeouts thru the game and especially the way some games end up ... it's totally ridiculous how many TO's it seems there are.

Never been a fan of how they presented CBB with all the timeouts on TV.

I often do, but not on this. The only reason I can really see it I don't like. Another TV commercial break. Probably lead into with an under 12 TO, and right after followed by the under 8 TO. No thank you to more commercials and timeouts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT