ADVERTISEMENT

Distilleries

Eagles_Ball

Blue Chip Prospect
Dec 19, 2003
Lifelong Cats fan making my first trip to Rupp in Feb for the Tennessee game. Have all day Sunday to burn. Going to schedule the BT tour tomorrow. I know it's such a basic bi*&^ move, but I just have to see it. We're going to end up back in Lexington that evening for dinner, but think we might have time to hit another distillery. Have heard good things about Bardstown, but not sure I want to drive that much. Any suggestions?

I loved the Maker's Mark trip. Also really enjoyed Jim Beam, but wouldn't recommend it during the winter months.

If it's at Rupp, the distilleries out by Louisville are a little too far IMO.. so try for Woodford and Buffalo Trace, and maybe get some sort of uber or ride service so you can enjoy them. Those two are more than worthy of a visit. Woodford was a beautiful, pristine farm house-style setup. Buffalo Trace was more of an operation but still cool to walk through, all the old brick and stone buildings, kind of felt like stepping back in time to an industrial era.

• Love
Reactions: pauled and DreadLox
Woodford Reserve is cool. I wouldn't drive all the way to Louisville for one, though.

If youre into horses, take a tour of one of the racing farms. Its pretty cool to see it behind the scenes.

Reactions: ORCAT
The only one I've done is Woodford. I enjoyed it.

But I'm 27 months sober. Fueled by water. Best decision I've ever made! I envy those of you that can drink like a responsible adult.
Well done brother and good luck going forward

I’m a lucky one that can have a drink and then not have another for 5 years, just doesn’t do a lot for me. But, I’ve got a cousin who is struggling with alcohol and depression right now. It’s awful.

Keep going 👍🏾

Maker's Mark is always nice if for no other reason than the property itself is very pretty.

Reactions: ORCAT
Castle & Key near Frankfort is fantastic. Beautiful grounds, very good tour & tasting and the main building is awesome. Not as popular as Woodford but a fantastic distillery that won't disappoint and not all that far from Lexington. Need tour reservations early as it has become very popular.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
Only one I’ve been to is makers mark, it was fun and I’d recommend it
We enjoyed it. A word of caution. The distillery is in a hollow that is NOT covered by cell phone service. Get a paper map and use the paper map.

We went round and round for 20 minutes before we gave in and looked at ... the paper map.

Woodford is a beautiful drive and the distillery tour is a lot of fun. It's also closer to Lexington than Buffalo Trace. I'd recommend that for your itinerary.

Reactions: blubo and chroix
I've never been to a distillery. I'm imagining old barrels, guys in leather overalls, pirates out back and the Hee Haw crew out front. What does a distillery smell like? I don't really "drink" but would I still enjoy going to one?

I've never been to a distillery. I'm imagining old barrels, guys in leather overalls, pirates out back and the Hee Haw crew out front. What does a distillery smell like? I don't really "drink" but would I still enjoy going to one?
It smells like fermentation of alcohol. Some days I enjoy the smell, some days I do not. But the tours are awesome, I think anyone would enjoy a bourbon distillery tour, whether you drink or not. I prefer the BT tour better than Woodford.

Reactions: NociHTTP and chroix
It smells like fermentation of alcohol. Some days I enjoy the smell, some days I do not. But the tours are awesome, I think anyone would enjoy a bourbon distillery tour, whether you drink or not. I prefer the BT tour better than Woodford.
I guess I lived a shelter life, so. I don't know what fermented alcohol smells like. I know what 'beer' smells and tastes like.

Lifelong Cats fan making my first trip to Rupp in Feb for the Tennessee game. Have all day Sunday to burn. Going to schedule the BT tour tomorrow. I know it's such a basic bi*&^ move, but I just have to see it. We're going to end up back in Lexington that evening for dinner, but think we might have time to hit another distillery. Have heard good things about Bardstown, but not sure I want to drive that much. Any suggestions?
We have been to at least a dozen distilleries. The BT is nice. The best for us is Maker's. Just for the pure beauty and the educational tour. Plus you can dip your own bottle if you wish.

That's a bit out of your way. But worth it if you can fit it in.

Castle & Key distillery is a short drive from Woodford Reserve also. Not sure if they have a tour. But the old building are neat to see.

Wilderness Trail in nearby Danville is awesome. It’s only a short trip outside Lexington

If you are going to Buffalo Trace ... Castle & Key, Woodford Reserve and Whiskey Thief (which is very unique) are the closest. It would make the most sense to do one of those. People above have laid out reasons for why.

I'm not sure where you live, so I don't know which way you are going home, but you could do 1-2 on Sunday too (I'm assuming you are doing BT on Saturday ... but maybe I'm wrong). Bardstown has a bunch (Makers would be No. 1 on my list - but there are others).

I've been to every place in Central Kentucky, so if you have other questions, let me know.

Cannot believe no one has mentioned Willett. By far the best bourbon in KY (their family estate that you can now only get in their bar, thanks to gift shop flippers).

Stay away from pot still, just go here for the tour and the bar and have some single barrel family estate, worth every damned penny.

You couldn't go wrong with any of the Distilleries mentioned above. I also really enjoyed Lexington Brewing & Distilling, Town Branch is very good. And is in Lexington.

It just depends on where you wanna hit.

The 3 nicest distilleries are Makers, Woodfood and Buffalo Trace in no particular order. Buffalo Trace is 20 minutes from Woodford, so we usually hit both in the same day.

Bardstown has Heaven Hill and Bardstown Bourbon, and a few others but those are my favorite 2. It's also just a super cool town.

Louisville actually has some really good ones. Old Forester, Michter's, Angel's Envy and Evan Williams. They're located down town on Whiskey Row. It's a great set up to be able to experience several in the same day.

Lawrenceburg has a really combination. Wild Turkey, which is one of my favorite brands, and Four Roses.

I live in Nelson County, so I do a lot of work for the bourbon industry in KY. That said, I'm not big on bourbon. I've been given donations, but im good with beer.

The only one I've done is Woodford. I enjoyed it.

But I'm 27 months sober. Fueled by water. Best decision I've ever made! I envy those of you that can drink like a responsible adult.
Congratulations. But your game ain’t over. Keep the defense going. Lock it down. Turn that 27 months into 27 years or whenever that final buzzer sounds,

Reactions: SemperFiCat
If you are going to Buffalo Trace ... Castle & Key, Woodford Reserve and Whiskey Thief (which is very unique) are the closest. It would make the most sense to do one of those. People above have laid out reasons for why.

I'm not sure where you live, so I don't know which way you are going home, but you could do 1-2 on Sunday too (I'm assuming you are doing BT on Saturday ... but maybe I'm wrong). Bardstown has a bunch (Makers would be No. 1 on my list - but there are others).

I've been to every place in Central Kentucky, so if you have other questions, let me know.
Thank you! Super helpful. We actually live in southwest MO. Flying in on Saturday. I coach HS basketball, have a game Friday night, so can’t get to Lex until noon or so Saturday. Staying at Hyatt. Figured might as well go all out for first experience. We are doing the tours Sunday and flying back home Monday. I just booked Buffalo Trace at noon and Woodford at 3 for Sunday. Hopeful can make the time work between the two.

Any dinner recommendations? My wife is a foodie and definitely not a bourbon gal, so this is to keep her happy. Have been told about Carson’s and OBC. Any others we need to check? I’m going to shoot for KSBar for pregame…but might have to relent and do an early dinner pregame to keep her happy. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT