ADVERTISEMENT

DirecTV May Lose ESPN/SEC Network

specialkd24

All-American
Jan 13, 2002

The SEC Tweeted this an hour ago. I know there is a lot of cord-cutting discussion on the boards.

I can't imagine this being a good business practice for them during football season.

Well shit. I cut the cord but when I did I switched to AT&T Now (formerly DirectvNow). This will probably affect me too. Youtubetv it is.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of switching from DirecTV to Youtube for a while now. This may be what pushes me over the edge...well that and an ATT bill that looks like a car payment each month.

At the very least, I will be getting a free trial this weekend to Youtube to make sure I don't miss the game.

I've been thinking of switching from DirecTV to Youtube for a while now. This may be what pushes me over the edge...well that and an ATT bill that looks like a car payment each month.

At the very least, I will be getting a free trial this weekend to Youtube to make sure I don't miss the game.
They are doing a 21 day trial right now.

DirectvNow/AT&T Now has worked great for me. I’ve found YouTubeTV broadcasts to be a bit choppy. Not sure why. But if they can’t get it together with ESPN/SEC then I’m out.
Interesting, I haven't had any issues with any of the streaming services and I don't have great broadband.

Reactions: UKUGA
I’ve been using YouTube TV. It’s so easy to cancel (like three clicks), just tel
Siri to remind you on the day of and you can watch for as many weeks as you have email addresses!

Normally when something like this happens, they have a message crawl across the screen well in advance. I haven’t seen anything like that.

The good thing about streaming your television is no equipment and no contracts. If one of my providers loses a channel today I can literally switch on the same day at the drop of a hat, No contracts and no penalties for early cancellation. Then if they get it back, I can pick it right back up.

Reactions: UKUGA
I switched three months ago to Youtubetv - its been great so far. Cut my cost by $100 per month and seem to have more options than before as well. Youtube has lots of college football.

Go Big Blue!
gamaliekid, did you have a contract with DirectV that you had to get out of first? I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing as DirectV is outrageous regarding pricing. Thanks

AT&T is a mess right now. They have been losing customers at an alarming rate and are ok with it. They are only concerned with customers who they see as high profit (with their rates I'd guess everybody is high profit). AT&T has been telling shareholders they will lose a lot more customers in the near future. They need some new leadership or should just stick to phones but they suck at that too. My phone bill was outrageous. I'm saving about $90 a month since switching to T-Mobile.

I switched to Hulu live. The wife already had Hulu, and her basic movie service is included with the live. Hulu live was $45 and since she was already paying around $8 for the other, the total add on was only around $37.

Sure beats the $150 I was paying for direct.

If they lose the SEC network they lose me too.

Hulu Live, PlayStation Vue , and YouTube TV all offer packages with the SEC network, all ESPN channels and locals. Sling has went to antenna only for locals so that is a big reason I didnt look too closely at them.

Hulu Live, PlayStation Vue , and YouTube TV all offer packages with the SEC network, all ESPN channels and locals. Sling has went to antenna only for locals so that is a big reason I didnt look too closely at them.
YouTube TV doesn’t make you take an additional package for SEC network like most of them. It also has the local network like CBS, and ABC, which none of the others had in EKY. Also, it has unlimited DVR and you can choose to record every conference game for the entire season. I’ve had DirectTV Now, Hulu live and now YouTube. I’m sticking with YouTube

My problem with YouTubeTV is out two of my TV’s (I have a Roku on one) I have a firestick, and one is a FireTV enabled TV. YoutubeTV app is not available on Firestick. Anyone know any work arounds on that?

They are doing a 21 day trial right now.

You got a promo code for that?

My tv’s are at least 5 years old and the youtube app isn’t on either. But again, the carrier. In my case, att Uverse, normally notifies you with an on screen crawl. Haven’t seen any notification other than thaw tweet in the op.

These negotiations between networks and carrier systems are going on all the time. Normally the public doesn’t even hear about it. We only hear when the two stakeholders are playing a brinksmanship game with one another. The carrier wants to squeeze the network because the network needs them. But the network, if it is popular, can put a lot of heat on the carrier when customers feel threatened with the prospect of losing the channel. DirecTV customers pay the same bill regardless of how promptly DirecTV brings their negotiations with ESPN to closure. This hurts DirecTV’s credibility and leads customers to drop them.

So if you want to watch ESPN and the SEC Channel on DirecTV, the thing to do is contact DirecTV and threaten to discontinue their services if you are deprived of your opportunity to watch all the channels for which you subscribed. They will give you their talking points about the negotiations, but you just tell them that you do your part by paying your bills so the negotiations are their problem. The more complaints they receive, the more incentive they have to bring the negotiations to closure.

But at the end of the day, separating from ESPN is not really an option for DirecTV. They have to cut a deal. If it was just the knitting channel, that might be different. But ESPN has a large audience, especially during fall and winter. So this will get worked out.

But whether or not DirecTV is a good long term choice is more complicated, and will vary with location. The technology is turning against them. More alternatives are becoming available, so DirecTV will either adapt and become more appealing, or else they won’t survive in their current form. ATT owns DirecTV, and ATT is currently in a major corporate debt reduction/liquidation phase.

My problem with YouTubeTV is out two of my TV’s (I have a Roku on one) I have a firestick, and one is a FireTV enabled TV. YoutubeTV app is not available on Firestick. Anyone know any work arounds on that?
I have a Firestick too and this worked for me. This Youtube video will show you how upload it. Fast forward to about the 4:20 mark to get started.

Reactions: STL_Cat
My tv’s are at least 5 years old and the youtube app isn’t on either. But again, the carrier. In my case, att Uverse, normally notifies you with an on screen crawl. Haven’t seen any notification other than thaw tweet in the op.
My TV is well over 10 years old and YouTube TV works just fine with a Roku.

Reactions: STL_Cat and mdlUK.1
Normally when something like this happens, they have a message crawl across the screen well in advance. I haven’t seen anything like that.

Word on Twitter is that when espn would run that crawl, it was somehow blacked-out for Directv viewers so that they couldn’t see it. Not sure if true or not, but was reported by many.

Word on Twitter is that when espn would run that crawl, it was somehow blacked-out for Directv viewers so that they couldn’t see it. Not sure if true or not, but was reported by many.
That would sort of diminish using the customer's ability to put pressure on them to make a deal. Sounds like the doomsday bomb from Dr Strangelove. You have to tell people about it to make them afraid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT