ADVERTISEMENT

Did Sheppard set a UK all-time single game record tonight?

D. Allen w 23 at MSU off the bench is the highest I can think of off my head other than Reed tn

Reactions: Fox2monk
At least since Dan Issel's senior year 30 point games by starters have been rarities.

You can also google to try to find a more inexplicable example of a deserving-starter being kept as a non-starter. You’ll have even more trouble finding an answer to that question.
I agree and if I did find one it would be a freshman starting behind a senior, not another freshman.

By the way, when it comes to getting specific answers to queries Google is now GARBAGE; the search results are not about whether or not you have the answer but rather who you are(or how much you paid). I should have went to an AI bot.

You can also google to try to find a more inexplicable example of a deserving-starter being kept as a non-starter. You’ll have even more trouble finding an answer to that question.
At least he’s a game finisher and plays starter minutes.

Shep lead the team in points (32), rebounds (5), assists (7), tied team lead in steals (2), and was tied for 2nd in team with blocks (2). Handled the state pressure defense for 35 minutes with 2 turnovers and cal leads off his presser by pointing out his bad pass.

Shep lead the team in points (32), rebounds (5), assists (7), tied team lead in steals (2), and was tied for 2nd in team with blocks (2). Handled the state pressure defense for 35 minutes with 2 turnovers and cal leads off his presser by pointing out his bad pass.
I think I read his stat line has never been put up by a guy off the bench.

I swear sometimes I think Cal is retarded, I know he talks up guys struggling to keep them engaged and motivate them but damn, he just saved your bacon and you lead with that? How about wow what an effort to come back, Sheppard led us and was an absolute monster and he’s a freshman doing this on the road!

Dilly scored 35 against UT this season.

It so figures that the other example is another Cal player from this very season.

A coach stubbornly flat out refusing to start two of his three best players because it doesn’t fit his own pre-ordained plan (since pre-season) is something that would happen with nobody else except Cal.

Last edited:
It so figures that the other example is another Cal player from this very season.

A coach stubbornly flat out refusing to start two of his three best players because it doesn’t fit is pre-ordained plan (since pre-season) is something that would happen with nobody else except Cal.
I have a feeling it's going to hurt recruiting if Cal sticks around. All an opposing coach has to ask a recruit is this: "Do you want to go to Kentucky where they play guys who are worse than you are just because they make promises to those guys?"

Cal claims he doesn't make promises, but it's clear he does in his own special way.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Was that last play to end the game credited as a steal?
Not sure, but that last offensive play originally belonged to Wagner before Mississippi State cut him off from driving the lane with two defenders.

Think about that. UK had Sheppard, Reeves, and Dillingham on the court, and Cal told DJ to "go score."

Genius stuff from Johnny Clam Chowder.

Thank goodness Wagner passed the ball and didn't hoist a crazy shot.

Not sure, but that last offensive play originally belonged to Wagner before Mississippi State cut him off from driving the lane with two defenders.

Think about that. UK had Sheppard, Reeves, and Dillingham on the court, and Cal told DJ to "go score."

Genius stuff from Johnny Clam Chowder.

Thank goodness Wagner passed the ball and didn't hoist a crazy shot.
Cal is trying so hard to get DJ drafted in the first round.Was’nt grandpa and dad first rounders? He’s going for the trifecta

Cal is trying so hard to get DJ drafted in the first round.Was’nt grandpa and dad first rounders? He’s going for the trifecta
It's weird, too. Wagner obviously isn't ready to make the NBA jump yet, but Cal will probe and prod and do everything he can do to expedite that "dream", even if it means UK drops some games and loses some seed lines.

Why not just let the kid come back for a (cue horror music) "second season?"

Reactions: EliteBlue
It's weird, too. Wagner obviously isn't ready to make the NBA jump yet, but Cal will probe and prod and do everything he can do to expedite that "dream", even if it means UK drops some games and loses some seed lines.

Why not just let the kid come back for a (cue horror music) "second season?"
Because it is know embarrassing for a 5 star player to come to Kentucky and not be a one and done.

Devin Booker with the Harrison Twin comes to mind.

Devin Booker with the Harrison Twin comes to mind.
Booker/Ulis is about the closest comparative example. But that was NOT like this. The Harrison twins had clearly earned their starting spot ...especially with the prior season's FF run. And it was genuinely debatable at the time as to who was better between them and their backups.

But there is NO such debate here. Both Sheppard and Dillingham have CLEARLY been better than both Edwards and Wagner all season long. And the latter two did nothing to earn their starting spot before it was given to them. And Shep and Dillingham rank WAY higher in importance to this team. Hell, they're probably two of our three best players ...which was not the case with Booker/Ulis in 2015.

Yet Cal stubbornly still refuses to let either of them start.

I have a feeling it's going to hurt recruiting if Cal sticks around. All an opposing coach has to ask a recruit is this: "Do you want to go to Kentucky where they play guys who are worse than you are just because they make promises to those guys?"

Cal claims he doesn't make promises, but it's clear he does in his own special way.
Not going to happen. Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker came off the bench, and both were clearly better than the Harrison twins. It doesn't hurt recruiting.

All Cal has to say is, "To be the best, you have to compete against the best. The best are at Kentucky."

Oh, I think there's no doubt Cal makes those promises. And often puts them ahead of actual performance.

If he didn't, there's no way Edwards and Wagner would still be starting ahead of Sheppard and Dillingham, no way Khalil Whitney wouldve started ahead of Quickley for the early part of that season, no way Boston would've not only always started but been given total control of the ball all season, no way Skal would've had such a locked in starting spot, etc. etc. It's the only logical explanation I see for many illogical lineup decisions he's made over the years.

I think the record by a bench player may be Derrick Miller who came off the bench against California in the Great Alaska Shootout and scored 36 points, including 7 of 8 three-pointers.

Link to UK-Cal game

Miller didn’t even get into the game until late in the first half when Chris Mills got into foul trouble.

I believe after the game a reporter asked Eddie Sutton if he would now start Miller in the next game. With this game Miller essentially forced his way into the rotation and played big minutes going forward

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90 and ukfan1622
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT