ADVERTISEMENT

Did everyone forget the majority predicted 6-8 losses this year?

Louis_Skunt

Senior
Oct 4, 2013
I don't recall this many maniacs when Tubby or Gillispie was around. How can the most knowledgable fan base (of college basketball) become so irrational after a loss? You're an intelligent breed, have some perspective and realize UK is going to lose on occasion.

Coach K doesn't win every game, even with the best players in the country. Roy Williams lost to Wofford with upperclassmen, at HOME. Could you imagine if that happened at Rupp right now? Cal may be fired.

I don't recall this many maniacs when Tubby or Gillispie was around. How can the most knowledgable fan base (of college basketball) become so irrational after a loss? You're an intelligent breed, have some perspective and realize UK is going to lose on occasion.

Coach K doesn't win every game, even with the best players in the country. Roy Williams lost to Wofford with upperclassmen, at HOME. Could you imagine if that happened at Rupp right now? Cal may be fired.
We will have that many in away games. 11-7 conference.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I would sign up for 8 losses right now and be a very happy UK fan. This is a young talented team with at least 10 losses. We will get a 4 or 5 seed and make a little run. Right now Knox is at #9 , Vanderbilt #19 and Diallo is #22. If we just lose these three players next year we will have a nice group coming back. Not sure we will hang onto Richards. He has been very outspoken about being here 1 year.

Reactions: Catzman
This group could put it together, but frankly this group is capable of going to the NIT, too. Thus the nervousness. Shame the only reason they lost is because of piss poor effort

Reactions: Steelcurtain66
Road games in the SEC will be no picnic,it seems that UCLA has our number a little more than most would like.Some of yesterday's game was fun to watch but other parts were downright painful.I am glad these weekly games have about run their course.We never seem to get as much good from "Camp Cal"as we think.

The UL game will be interesting,I hope we can learn to play from ahead as well as we play from behind,maybe we can work on that during the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianpoe
Road games in the SEC will be no picnic,it seems that UCLA has our number a little more than most would like.Some of yesterday's game was fun to watch but other parts were downright painful.I am glad these weekly games have about run their course.We never seem to get as much good from "Camp Cal"as w think.

The UL game will be interesting,I hope we can learn to play from ahead as well as we play from behind,maybe we can work on that during the week.
Good post, Doc. Your last paragraph is what concerns me most about this group. They seem content to be behind. And have no killer instinct. Laziness??

People are upset because we are staring down the barrel of double digit losses. This team is not learning as fast as expected. The upside isn't happening.

Good post, Doc. Your last paragraph is what concerns me most about this group. They seem content to be behind. And have no killer instinct. Laziness??
I don't think it is laziness,I think it is more a lack of understanding or embracing the need for sustained effort in order to play at the level to which the other team will hold us accountable (since we are UK)

Whoever we are playing has an established mindset of what it means when the other team is wearing a UK uniform,we have to understand that and be willing to match that mindset.It is a tough thing to do every game.

"Right now Knox is at #9 , Vanderbilt #19 and Diallo is #22."

Unfortunately that is based on future potential not current performance.

Predicted 23-8 regular season. Still a good chance but likely the ceiling unless JV makes a miraculous debut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiction. You’re just sad because they lost to a seasoned UCLA team in December and it hurt your whittle feelings :(

Haha.... a lot of other things going on in life to invest “feelings” in entertainment, but mock all you want, nutjob.

@Tennessee, @Texas A&M, @Arkansas, @Florida, @West Virginia,

Of those 5 I would be very, very pleased to come out 3-2.. I could see us losing all 5 or going 4-1. Lets say we go 2-3. (5 losses)

Louisville, Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee. With these being at Rupp, I'll give it to us that we edge out all of these besides 1 (4-1), (6 losses)

You have other possibility of close games that we do not want to see that we must win or yes NIT is in the looks.... @Vanderbilt, @LSU

1 loss in the SEC tournament (7 losses)

If we have anything less than 7 losses I would be thrilled. I say realistically we can expect 7-9 losses.

Luckily we could be missing our best player which means he could provide some spark

At this point in time I will take 6-8 losses, call it a season and get ready for next years class of one and done.

Next years class of one and done will not be young and inexperienced. They will be seasoned AAU stars when they get to Lexington and all will play lock down defense. Write it down.

Do we have any posters here that are not fringe something or other....

Most insane group of posters on the internet.

I wish I could find the post someone else just made on the three types of posters here because I think it’s very accurate. We like to lump people though and have VERY short memories.... obviously

After two years of specific back and forth WITH YOU I am honestly a little shocked you are calling me names right now. Whatever it is, I guess

I wish I could find the post someone else just made on the three types of posters here because I think it’s very accurate. We like to lump people though and have VERY short memories.... obviously

After two years of specific back and forth WITH YOU I am honestly a little shocked you are calling me names right now. Whatever it is, I guess

We agree way more than we disagree no doubt about it.

Hope you and the family have a tremendous Christmas.

I'm a 6-10 losses guy. Still expect the same and also still expect a nice run in March.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
NIT? Come on man.

I’m with you on this Brian but I scratch my head reading so many threads thinking most of this year’s team will come back. We always have sure fire returnees (Booker comes to mind but there are plenty more) that either play themselves into a OAD or leave using bad judgment (Orton, Dakari) that the carousel continues to turn. This team has potential but this year is probably more unpredictable than most, even for Cal. I guess I fall into the greedy UK fan category but I really want a team with enough veterans to give us a solid shot at another title.

How many predicted a loss to a awful UCLA team. The prediction thread was 0.
How many predicted Wofford beating UNC at home with a lot of returnees from a title team?
Or what about Duke losing to unranked Boston College, after talks of going undefeated?
People need to get a grip. Vegas odds aren't right every time. You win some, lose some. But every year Cal has UK as a favorite to win it all.

Just proves the fickleness of our fans. It’s the same on the football side. They go into the season predicting X number of losses and then when it actually happens it’s FARR STOOPS!! or in this case, lose to UCLA and it’s FARR CAL!!

Reactions: ohiodon
I’m with you on this Brian but I scratch my head reading so many threads thinking most of this year’s team will come back. We always have sure fire returnees (Booker comes to mind but there are plenty more) that either play themselves into a OAD or leave using bad judgment (Orton, Dakari) that the carousel continues to turn. This team has potential but this year is probably more unpredictable than most, even for Cal. I guess I fall into the greedy UK fan category but I really want a team with enough veterans to give us a solid shot at another title.

I dont disagree.

I will say Orton used incredibly great judgement due to his knee, he fooled everyone and made millions.

I dont see a Booker on this squad, shooting is a gift highly valued, of course that doesnt mean that Gabriel or PJ wont leave and try to make it ala Dakari.

If a kid is a sure fire 1st Rounder I have no problem with him going, it's the ones who are not that have hurt the program.

From what I know factually and what i have surmised through the years:

2013 the staff fully believed Teague would return, and were very positive Lamb would after 2nd round evals came in.

Teague, Lamb, Archie, Alex, Noel - WCS, Wiltjer, Harrow, Mays - not a bad squad.

2016 the staff was shocked regarding Booker's rise and subsequent departure (what a job getting Murray though) and they believed Dakari was returning (everyone knew the twins were done, but what if they stayed like every other school?)

Twins, Ulis, Alex, Lee, Dakari, Skal, Mathews, Mulder, (Briscoe?), Humphries, Dom, Willis - again not a bad team.

2017 Mathews and Lee transfer
Monk, Fox, Lee, Mathews, Bam, SKG, Wenyen, Humphries, Hawkins, Willis, Tai

Last edited:
NIT? Come on man.
Let’s say we beat Louisville, lose to West Virginia, and go 11-7 in the SEC..... a very realistic projection for this team. You’re 21-10 with no significant OOC wins. That would be squarely on the bubble. I’m not saying there’s no chance we could do better. I just don’t think it’s realistic to EXPECT it.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
How many predicted Wofford beating UNC at home with a lot of returnees from a title team?
Or what about Duke losing to unranked Boston College, after talks of going undefeated?
People need to get a grip. Vegas odds aren't right every time. You win some, lose some. But every year Cal has UK as a favorite to win it all.
Just posted the same thing about UNC, didn't see your post.

Time will tell. The biggest difference this year is that the SEC is better than it has ever been in terms of competition. This team could either rise for the occasion or fold like a tent.

Let’s say we beat Louisville, lose to West Virginia, and go 11-7 in the SEC..... a very realistic projection for this team. You’re 21-10 with no significant OOC wins. That would be squarely on the bubble. I’m not saying there’s no chance we could do better. I just don’t think it’s realistic to EXPECT it.

So we will lose to every competent SEC team?

If so then we don’t deserve to go to the tourney.

That said, we always go except that one time we lost 100% of the previous team, our point guard, and our best player.

So I’m predicting NIT is not an option, a poor seed definitely could be however.

21-10 is still in the tournament unless all the SEC wins are the bottom feeders. I think UK is in even then. Strength of schedule should be pretty good.

Since another team played like garbage, it’s ok that we did?
Are you aware that every title team in every sport, except for a very select few have lost games? The '96 team lost 2 games. The '12 team lost 2 games. The 98' team lost 5 games. Teams lose games. Get over it or find something else to be interested in.

This team has no personality and rumors that they simply aren’t listening to Cal make this team tough to watch. Cal very frustrated with their refusal to buy in. Very much a “I gotta get mine” team

This team has no personality and rumors that they simply aren’t listening to Cal make this team tough to watch. Cal very frustrated with their refusal to buy in. Very much a “I gotta get mine” team

Don't know if that's the case but fits with purportedly not wanting to play with Young who had that rep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT