ADVERTISEMENT

Did/ do you have good parents?

Like everyone, they weren't perfect. But they did a great job raising my sis and I.

Yes, yes I did.

My mother passed away three years ago and she was the rock of our family.

My parents taught me so many thing that helped me through life and things I’ve taught my own children. Treating others with respect and dignity, charity, the value of working hard to achieve my dreams and so many more.

My father was a Vietnam vet who saw the worst of it. He came back to the world with a lot of pain from the things he saw and did over there. Then he met a poor girl from Ohio County at a Black Sabbath concert in Cincinnati in 1971 and married her three months later. My mother helped my father heal and put his burdens down. They were a true love story.

Our house was Leave it to Beaver/Brady Bunch. Dad was an awesome provider and mom was the “cool mom”. They were both the best and have since passed away. Mom passed of ALZ which sucked. Dad was her caretaker then his health went downhill shortly after her death.

Any defects I have are of my own undoing. They were perfect.

My parents are still alive and they were the best at raising me and my sister. They weren't overbearing and they taught us how to treat people. They didn't keep much from us so when we started to get older and see and hear things we weren't shocked about it. Not anything thing about things they were doing but about how the world actually is and how it will chew you up and spit you out and you got to stand firm and take up for those who can't take up for themselves. Make no mistake about it though, if we stepped out of line we were spanked and we deserved the ones we got. The line we had to step over to receive it was far away though so it wasn't like we were punished for measly things. I'm glad I got those whoopins because it started to turn me and my sister into the people we are today. My Dad doesn't have very good health from being exposed to agent orange and drinking the water at Camp Lejeune and Mom is a breast cancer survivor but they are still kicking. They are some tough cookies for sure.

Reactions: berniecarbo
Both of my parents passed away back in 2003 & 2004 about 9 months apart. They were great parents and I still miss them like it happened yesterday. Whoever said time heals all wounds is a liar.
Exactly how I feel
I think about them numerous times each day. As I look back, everything they taught me is missing in today's young people.
Hard work, dedicatoin, common courtesy, just simple things I took for granted. I never wanted for anything, but I was not spoiled either. I started earning my own $ at 9 years old, cutting grass. Then I started painting houses with my dad and any other job he took on. He did this in addition to work long hard hours @ Ford, and farming. One thing for certain, the items that I bought with my own $ were taken care of. I never left my baseball gloves, balls, bats or bikes out in the weather. They were taken in each night. Every time I bought a new glove, I kept it in my room breaking it in with saddle soap, or glove oil or sometime just plain old motor oil.. Sure miss those days

My mother was a saint. My dad was a dedicated family man & provider. OTOH, he was as gruff as could be and coarse. But all in all, a good father. They've been gone 20 years.

Nah not really. Still alive but lots of drama for 40 some years has pretty much ruined me and my siblings. Both parents families were/are screwed up and they passed it on to us.

I see I am in the minority in this thread. I envy you guys.

No sob stories here. Both alive and they spoil their grandkids.

My father has stage four Small Cell Carcinoma so I'm trying to appreciate every moment I get with him.

Thankful to have grown up in the era that I did. Had love and discipline but was self sufficient and not babied and my parents didn't think teachers were the issue when I was causing trouble.

But I know there's so many crap parents and I've dated many women who were the products of it. Haha

Yes and dreading the day that they are no longer here with me. I consider my dad my best friend and they both would do anything for me and my girls. As they get older, its tough to witness their age. I still picture them like when I was growing up and they were in their 40's.

Yes and dreading the day that they are no longer here with me. I consider my dad my best friend and they both would do anything for me and my girls. As they get older, its tough to witness their age. I still picture them like when I was growing up and they were in their 40's.
It's strange when I look back at when my parents were that age and younger. Now I'm a good ways past that. Time marches on my friend and we aren't here very long.

Absolutely the best parents one could ask for. My dad was the quiet presence who worked hard and was the wisest person I’ve ever known. My mom was the outgoing rock of the family who did all she could for anyone and everyone. Blessed beyond anything I ever deserve to call them Mom and Dad.

They both passed away from covid 27 days apart. Will be three years in August, and the pain is very real to this day. If you still have your parents, please don’t take time for granted.

• Sad
Reactions: JDHoss
Never knew my dad, mom worked away from where I lived. I saw her 4 days a month
My grandparents were 70 by the time I was 10 so I grew up living with the decisions I made
for myself. Met my dad when I was 35(tracked him down) We had about a two hour conversation, never saw him again. The way things turned out I wouldn't change a thing. Listened to my first UK basketball
game when I was 6. The Cats got me thru many a cold winter.

My parents weren't perfect but who's parents are? I wouldn't have asked for better. They raised three good successful children. My dad use to remind me when I was young that "I've been 18, you haven't been 50." Words of wisdom.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I lost my dad on New Years Day 1989 and then my mom about 16 months later. They barely had 2 nickels to rub together at times in my youth, but they always put food on the table and Christmas gifts under the tree. Looking back, I probably wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
My parents divorced when I was 4. She got full custody. He remarried and started a new family. She never did remarry. Her mom moved in with us to watch us and help raise us while mom worked full time to support us. All are now dead.

Parental report card for the adults in my life when I was young...

Dad - I (incomplete). Did not see him often enough to get any actual parenting from him.
Mom - C. She was difficult to be around, especially as she got older. Moody and judgmental. I felt that she loved us, but didn't show it well.
Grandma - F. She was a nasty old bitch that I remember as being mean. She would rather insult or hit me than to love and guide me.

I don't regret how I was raised. My upbringing definitely made me choose to be nothing at all like any of them when it was my time to be a parent. I cherished every day with my daughters as they were growing up, and my goal was for them to know they were loved every single day. I think I did OK. Hopefully they would grade me at a B or higher.

Yes, yes I did.

My mother passed away three years ago and she was the rock of our family.

My parents taught me so many thing that helped me through life and things I’ve taught my own children. Treating others with respect and dignity, charity, the value of working hard to achieve my dreams and so many more.

My father was a Vietnam vet who saw the worst of it. He came back to the world with a lot of pain from the things he saw and did over there. Then he met a poor girl from Ohio County at a Black Sabbath concert in Cincinnati in 1971 and married her three months later. My mother helped my father heal and put his burdens down. They were a true love story.

I lost my Dad back in March, and he too, was a Vietnam Vet, and saw live combat in the 9th Infantry. My Dad never told me much about Vietnam growing up, and even as I grew into an adult. I knew that he struggled with PTSD and he masked it in some unfortunate ways. It wasn't until he passed, when I had to call some of his friends that he served with, that I truly learned what he experienced, and what he had to do. It honestly broke my heart that he lived with that inside of him for decades. My Dad was a great Dad, who I love and miss immensely. But knowing the amount of trauma he was holding would have given me more insight and understanding as to how he was when I was a child.

There is a quote, "only the dead have seen the end of war." At my Dad's funeral, my sister handed me a letter that he had written for me. I sat on it for about a month, before I was ready to read it. Among the many things he told me, one was that he wished I had known him before he went to Vietnam, as he was very different. I truly believe that quote applies to my Dad, as Vietnam did quite the number on him.

I lost my Dad back in March, and he too, was a Vietnam Vet, and saw live combat in the 9th Infantry. My Dad never told me much about Vietnam growing up, and even as I grew into an adult. I knew that he struggled with PTSD and he masked it in some unfortunate ways. It wasn't until he passed, when I had to call some of his friends that he served with, that I truly learned what he experienced, and what he had to do. It honestly broke my heart that he lived with that inside of him for decades. My Dad was a great Dad, who I love and miss immensely. But knowing the amount of trauma he was holding would have given me more insight and understanding as to how he was when I was a child.

There is a quote, "only the dead have seen the end of war." At my Dad's funeral, my sister handed me a letter that he had written for me. I sat on it for about a month, before I was ready to read it. Among the many things he told me, one was that he wished I had known him before he went to Vietnam, as he was very different. I truly believe that quote applies to my Dad, as Vietnam did quite the number on him.
My dad was a WW2 vet. i wish i had asked him more about it. His dad was a WW1 vet who I never really knew. I am a Viet Nam vet. Lots of guys had it worse than me, but I saw and was involved in things that haunt me to this day. The Lord has helped me cope or I probably would not have survived the first years after I got home.

My dad was a WW2 vet. i wish i had asked him more about it. His dad was a WW1 vet who I never really knew. I am a Viet Nam vet. Lots of guys had it worse than me, but I saw and was involved in things that haunt me to this day. The Lord has helped me cope or I probably would not have survived the first years after I got home.

Wow, that's quite the family history! I really appreciate your family's service to our country...thank you! I am glad that you were able to find ways to cope after Vietnam, in hindsight, I wish my Dad had leaned more into the Lord. But regardless, thank you for your service.

Is that you Lieutenant Dan?

They were both great, decent, loving people who always made sure myself and sister were always provided for. Like every living creature they were a product of the environment we are raised and live in . Without a doubt they did the absolute best they could do considering what they had to work with, especially concerning me. I will always be grateful for what they did for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT