ADVERTISEMENT

Did any of you guys attend the 1985 Final Four in Lexington?

Illinois was very good that year and we had to have some major luck to beat them twice. First time was with the "replacement" referees in Champaign with a shot at the buzzer.
Catscratch, that first game was Christmas Eve. I was on US 68/80 between Franklin, KY and Hopkinsville (heading to my Dad's for Xmas) listening to Cawood. COLD! Cold as hell that evening!! And IIRC, it was James Blackmon who hit the shot at the buzzer! I also remember Joe B. mentioning in his post game talk with Cawood that he and Lou Henson had been friends for like 517 years.
Nice Xmas present for BBN. The Cats could've easily lost that game.

Did I mention just how cold it was that night??? Man, it was cold!!! I returned home a night later to frozen pipes!!!

Catscratch, that first game was Christmas Eve. I was on US 68/80 between Franklin, KY and Hopkinsville (heading to my Dad's for Xmas) listening to Cawood. COLD! Cold as hell that evening!! And IIRC, it was James Blackmon who hit the shot at the buzzer! I also remember Joe B. mentioning in his post game talk with Cawood that he and Lou Henson had been friends for like 517 years.
Nice Xmas present for BBN. The Cats could've easily lost that game.

Did I mention just how cold it was that night??? Man, it was cold!!! I returned home a night later to frozen pipes!!!
I was living in Evansville at the time and barely made it home for Christmas due to the ice storm that hit the midwest. No TV for the game so I had to listen to it in my Uncle's house. I think it was Blackmon that made the shot.

Reactions: Indyadolph
He treated the 2 of us (Committee of 101 guys) like trash obviously because we were white
Didn't he keep his team in Winchester instead of Lexington? I had a friend that worked for Channel 18 and he said that Thompson also made some "not so nice" remarks about Rupp during the FF. Did you hear anything like that?

I was in Rupp in 1984 for the game to go to the final four with UK and Illinois U. UK won in overtime but we had to do some home cooking to get there. Very intense crowd.
I was at that game too. So long ago I do not recall much about it other than being there and setting in the lower arena corner overlooking the tunnel where the cheerleaders came out. I remember it being a close exciting game and that we won but not much more.
Illinois was very good that year and we had to have some major luck to beat them twice. First time was with the "replacement" referees in Champaign with a shot at the buzzer.
I think the game with Illinois earlier that year played on Christmas Eve Day had a huge snow storm and the officials could not make it to the game so they used some high school officials who were in attendance.
I checked 1986 and 1988 to see and you are right.
  • In 86 Reunion Arena was home to the Dallas Mavericks,
  • In 88 Kemper Arena in Kansas City was built for professional teams but they had left by then,
  • In 90 McNichols Arena was home to the Denver Nuggets,
  • In 94 Charlotte Colosseum was home to the Charlotte Hornets now Bobcats, and
  • In 96 the Meadowlands in New Jersey was the home of the Nets .

Didn't he keep his team in Winchester instead of Lexington? I had a friend that worked for Channel 18 and he said that Thompson also made some "not so nice" remarks about Rupp during the FF. Did you hear anything like that?
Yes the NCAA Picked the Hotel but Thompson wanted to stay away from Downtown so Winchester was selected
Thompson made several snide requirements about Coach Rupp having “Lilly White “teams I reminded him that Rupp was my Coach and most of those remarks was were as truthful as the horse shit at Claiborne Farm
He avoided me after that [sick]

Villanova has a championship banner hanging in the Wells Fargo Center in Philly (where the 76ers play).

It has an outline of the state of Kentucky on it (and maybe even a horse?).

Reactions: 2Adulterers
Yes the NCAA Picked the Hotel but Thompson wanted to stay away from Downtown so Winchester was selected
Thompson made several snide requirements about Coach Rupp having “Lilly White “teams I reminded him that Rupp was my Coach and most of those remarks was were as truthful as the horse shit at Claiborne Farm
I had heard something along those lines and I am not surprised at all. Was he barking orders at you the entire time?

One of the four teams stayed at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort which was right next door to the former Capital Plaza Tower that was imploded a year or so ago. I worked there at the time. I always thought it was Georgetown that was staying there but it may have been one of the other three teams.

One of the four teams stayed at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort which was right next door to the former Capital Plaza Tower that was imploded a year or so ago. I worked there at the time. I always thought it was Georgetown that was staying there but it may have been one of the other three teams.
Georgetown stayed in Winchester

St John’s was such a rinky-dink operation that they had to have the
Lafayette HS pep band play for them- true story.

This. I was in the 8th grade band at Jessie Clark & the band director was also the Lafayette director. I missed out on this honor by a couple of years. Think they were sent copies of the St. Johns fight song to learn.

Only orders I ever took were from Adolph Rupp and Bill Keightley not John Thompson
I work with quite a few Georgetown fans from DC and they all said he was a jerk. Must either have a chip on his shoulder or abrasive personality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT