ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale of the SEC

Jul 21, 2015
You'll have to be a little bit of an old-timer to remember him, but ol' Joe Dean was Dick Vitale before Dick Vitale became Dick Vitale.

I was watching the '84 SEC tourney game between Auburn and UK after another thread piqued my curiosity. I'd forgotten about Joe and his "string music" , "we've got us a barnburner", etc. He was laying it on so thick at one point that his play by play guy (having a brain-fart and can't think of his name at the moment, but he was another SEC broadcaster staple...ex UK player; not Larry Conley, but his long-time partner) told him "ok; that's enough" LOL Joe had a lot more substance to his game than Dick, but shared the same sort of carnival-barker air style. Much more muted version.

John Ferguson was first paired with Joe.
I think Tom Hammond maybe came along in the late 70s or early 80s.
Can’t remember.

I remember a game from January of 1978, the National Championship team. LSU was in town. John Wooden was also in town and the NBC crew of Ferguson and Joe got Wooden to join them for a few minutes. At one point, Joe could barely contain his excitement.
“John, we have 23,000-plus sold-out Rupp Arena! We have the number 1 team in the country, and we have coach Johnny Wooden! What else more could you ask for!?!?!!”

Joe was an SEC treasure. And he was always hyping up The Cats!

A little off topic but I was always curious how much a espn analyst makes and what I saw was shocking. It said dick vitale makes $3 million a year. Is this true? Do they really get paid that much?

A little off topic but I was always curious how much a espn analyst makes and what I saw was shocking. It said dick vitale makes $3 million a year. Is this true? Do they really get paid that much?
Dick yeah because he has paid his dues. was great and has been around a loooooong time.
Most of the up and comers are probably in the 100-150,000 dollar a yr range with guys like Bilas making a mill or so.

You'll have to be a little bit of an old-timer to remember him, but ol' Joe Dean was Dick Vitale before Dick Vitale became Dick Vitale.

I was watching the '84 SEC tourney game between Auburn and UK after another thread piqued my curiosity. I'd forgotten about Joe and his "string music" , "we've got us a barnburner", etc. He was laying it on so thick at one point that his play by play guy (having a brain-fart and can't think of his name at the moment, but he was another SEC broadcaster staple...ex UK player; not Larry Conley, but his long-time partner) told him "ok; that's enough" LOL Joe had a lot more substance to his game than Dick, but shared the same sort of carnival-barker air style. Much more muted version.
Always liked Joe Dean.

Would always shout out "string music in Lexington KY" when I was playing in the backyard.

Always liked Joe Dean.

Would always shout out "string music in Lexington KY" when I was playing in the backyard.
Joe Dean was one of the best, no question. And put me down as another who used the phrase "They call that string music down Lexington way Tom" whenever I played hoops on my goal.

Yes, and they were very good together. Both very knowledgeable about the game.

Yes, and they were very good together. Both very knowledgeable about the game.

I will never forget that Master rebound in the final minute off a missed FT. I replayed that play for weeks and weeks. I lived in Indiana at the time and that victory was oh so sweet.

Joe Dean , was the first to use the term " He is a man child" no question about Tom

I loved listening to Joe Dean. His son was on the UK staff under Hall.

Vitale rarely says anything insightful or meaningful. He is mostly a promoter. He spends too much time each game talking about things other than the actual game he is supposed to be covering.

Jimmy Dykes is the best at covering UK games by far, imo.

Last edited:
Yes, Joe Dean Jr. was an assistant at Kentucky from 1977-1983. His first season being the famous "Season without celebration" championship year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT