ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo has committed to KU

I think Cal knew it a few days ago and was hoping maybe he changes his mind, then again a week ago or so he said it was Lee's time to shine. We must remember Lee was a 5 star burger boy and he has the potential to be really good, he has just been playing behind more accomplished players, like some have said, I'm happy with who we have now and there are always sleepers who end up better than higher ranked players.

I don't get Kansas other than a lot of buzz about his handlers. GregNJ implied handlers, not Diallo made the choice.

There may be some underlying reason we keep missing other than a strange class.

Reactions: Double Oaked Juice
I don't get Kansas other than a lot of buzz about his handlers. GregNJ implied handlers, not Diallo made the choice.

Cal always dogs the "noise" around players. That is the handlers. These guys are pushing them away for some reason. I get he will get more shots and maybe more time. but the NBA draft and staying power of Cal and Self aren't even comparable.

This kid gets an ID-10-T form

Yeah, I don't wanna be that guy who blames "handlers", but it does make me wonder when Self, who has squandered and wasted away so many elite guys, keeps getting elite guys. It's as if high school players don't even notice that? My very first question as a high school elite to Bill Self would be, "Why does Calipari's elites seem to get better as the year goes on than yours does not? Please answer me that Coach Self.".

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Cal always dogs the "noise" around players. That is the handlers.

Yeah but those same handlers push a lot of kids to UK too.

Think there might be a lot of things at play here. Cal to the NBA rumors, Kentucky's run putting us behind the 8 ball, but also the staff may have been put in the lurch by Newman and Zimmerman and just couldn't make up the necessary ground.

I would like to know what in the name of Michelle Obama is going on? Sometimes in life, you just have to set back and laugh.

I'm torn. One one hand I really wanted Diallo while on the other hand I really didn't want another excuse to play Poythress at the 3.
I also see that as the upside to all of this. As much as I appreciate what's been accomplished, I've gotten a little tired of the mega-jumbo lineups that UK's been putting on the floor since 2012, lineups that often result in a clogged toilet halfcourt offense. Now, there's really not much choice but to go smaller. Even if Cal chooses to start Labissiere, Lee, and Poythress, there's going to be huge chunks of time when one of those 3 isn't playing.

Beyond that, this is now or never time for Poythress and Lee. They've had so many guys around them that it's been easy for them to get lost in the shuffle. Not now. No question that both get 25+ minutes a game, and either they live up to their potential, or UK is a mid-level tournament team that bows out no later than the Sweet 16. That's kind of exciting in a sense, but also, admittedly, pretty frightening.

We've got five 5*'s two 4*'s and two 3's w/experience. We're gonna be fine.. I still think we sign one more to boot. It's definitely not the end of the word.

I don't know how or why anyone would choose Kansas over us, it makes no sense

But whatever. I'd respect him more if he went to St Johns, at least he has ties there.

Oh well. Was kind of really hoping for Diallo. Is what it is. Just one of those years I guess. Cal still has a very good class. With Poythress, Lee, Willis, Hawkins, and Ulis back.

Pretty disappointing stuff. Just something about this class that seems a bit off. Won't say it's a "bad" group of kids... just something off.
I've felt the same way with this class. I don't know what the issue is, but evidently there's something in the air out there.

I would like to know what in the name of Michelle Obama is going on? Sometimes in life, you just have to set back and laugh.

Watch your mouth!! No bad language allowed on this board.

KU and the state of Kansas must have a lot of people who speak French.

I also see that as the upside to all of this. As much as I appreciate what's been accomplished, I've gotten a little tired of the mega-jumbo lineups that UK's been putting on the floor since 2012, lineups that often result in a clogged toilet halfcourt offense. Now, there's really not much choice but to go smaller. Even if Cal chooses to start Labissiere, Lee, and Poythress, there's going to be huge chunks of time when one of those 3 isn't playing.

Beyond that, this is now or never time for Poythress and Lee. They've had so many guys around them that it's been easy for them to get lost in the shuffle. Not now. No question that both get 25+ minutes a game, and either they live up to their potential, or UK is a mid-level tournament team that bows out no later than the Sweet 16. That's kind of exciting in a sense, but also, admittedly, pretty frightening.

I agree. Lee and Poythress should be living in the gym this summer as well as Willis. This is their time to shine. It would be nice if Lee could gain about 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. That in itself would make me feel better because it shows that Lee is determined to get better.

I mean I can see WHY he chose Kansas, but it doesn't make as much sense as it would have should he have chosen UK. Really don't get it. There's 2 players on the roster that will play both the 4 and 5. Diallo is probably already better than one of em.
No team is more of our bitch than Kansas, Cal should laugh at their mere mention. Any recruit, and I mean any that picks them over us isn't paying attention.

Why some of you let yourselves get your hopes up is beyond me. It was obvious we weren't getting anyone else significant.

I guess the allure of winning a 12th consecutive Big 12 regular season title and losing in the 2nd round of the tournament was just too much to pass up.

Wow. Coach Cal cheats and pays these guys to come to UK. I guess the only logical question is how much did Bill Self pay Diallo to go to Kansas? See how easy that is Kansas lurkers.

This one hurt. The events of the late recruiting season strongly suggest rival coaches are telling kids that Cal will not be around to coach them -- and that for whatever reason Cal has not been effective in shutting down the negative recruiting.

What are you talking about- there's been no rumormill about Cal going to an NBA job lately- certainly not since he started to turn up the heat on Diallo's commitment.

On a brighter note, Diallo's parents were just approved for a personal loan. The specifics aren't readily available but I'm sure his parents will let us know.

Complete and total bulls**t. I mean what the hell. This is UK. We get the best. screw this class.

feel bad for the kid. not his decision and one that will cost him a lot of money. his stock is going to drop hard at KU. role and team there is not a good fit for him.

Was really hoping to get Diallo due to his high motor and the fact we needed another big.

No
Our Pet's Heads are falling off....haha this sucks and the timing is really bad, kinda ruined our "finally" moment with Mulder, but we will still be competitive, not sure about top 10 type, but we have a lot of talent, but not much depth. 2016 class hopefully falls in really nicely with a few staying from next season. Hopefully 2016-2017 season will be loaded.
not top 10?

We have more 4 and 5* players then 99% of teams out there.

UK will only have four inside players counting Willis unless they get another big. Foul trouble inside could be a problem at times unless they get another big or two. Willis unless he bulks up is too thin to take the beating inside and is more of a SF type. The closest thing they will have to a banger is Poythress and he at times acts like he doesn't much enjoy the contact inside.

If there is any lesser rated bangers out there that can play defense, bang inside, and get rebounds UK sure could use one or two of them.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'd agree they'll be just fine and dandy if they were playing against high schoolers, which is when those star designations were given to em.
Your right but having Ulis, Poythress and Lee is enough experience to carry this team pretty far. I think Skal and Briscoe will be able to contribute right away. The rest is up in the air but I bet Mulder adds a nice compliment with his outside shooting and Hawkins will be improved as will Willis. Matthews should be at the very least a good defender. This team will have weaknesses but so will every other team next year. We'll be right in the mix by March. We've got 3 really good experienced players that have had a taste of the final 4 two years straight.. They're gonna be serious about getting back there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT