ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Willis played with superstars at UK and at WKU with Clem Haskins

Woodsmoke

Sophomore
Feb 27, 2023
5-F4-A0-D59-3-DB5-4280-B87-E-20943-A804-CE5.jpg

Thanks for starting a riveting thread to discuss this comparison. I was wondering if anyone would ever see the similarities between these two, and the OP finally brought light to something that's been pressing on my soul for a long time.
You’re welcome!

On a board with a history of bad posts….we may have a new winner.

And what a weird avatar. I don’t care if you use anything for it, but the copyright is plastered right in the middle of the pic, lol. Was he so in love with this horse pic, he could care less if it has words across it?!

Reactions: chroix
The look like they could be related for sure, not identical but similar features.
Thank you. What started out as a light hearted post comparing the two, turned into an all out assault. I suppose the lesson learned here is that you can’t poke a little fun at a Kentucky boy.

So who is the 1960s WKU player?

Is that someone we should recognize? Not sure how the OP even stumbled across that pic.

Reactions: Mike-D
So who is the 1960s WKU player?

Is that someone we should recognize? Not sure how the OP even stumbled across that pic.
Dwight Smith. Played with Clem Haskins and Wayne Chapman (Rex’s dad). He was drafted by the Lakers but was killed in a freak automobile accident. The picture was from a birthday post to Clem Haskins.

E4-BDF681-614-B-4786-A3-BA-0348-A65379-C0.jpg

Reactions: UK90 and chroix
Random af but I hope you survived the assault. Sounds like it was as brutal as it gets.

Dwight Smith. Played with Clem Haskins and Wayne Chapman (Rex’s dad). He was drafted by the Lakers but was killed in a freak automobile accident. The picture was from a birthday post to Clem Haskins.

E4-BDF681-614-B-4786-A3-BA-0348-A65379-C0.jpg
OK, yeah, I’ve definitely heard of Dwight Smith, but didn’t know what he looked like.

Although I was under the impression that he was a black player, whereas this pic looks to me like it’s of a white guy.

OK, yeah, I’ve definitely heard of Dwight Smith, but didn’t know what he looked like.

Although I was under the impression that he was a black player, whereas this pic looks to me like it’s of a white guy.
Definitely African American. His brother Greg is next to him in this photo. In the Haskins photo, it’s not as prominent.

9-E3-EAC96-4859-4-F11-9-BF4-2-D8-B52-E2-E487.jpg

Reactions: UK90
Dead ringer, alright. One looks part Indian, the other looks Jewish. Dead ****in ringer.

On a board with a history of bad posts….we may have a new winner.

And what a weird avatar. I don’t care if you use anything for it, but the copyright is plastered right in the middle of the pic, lol. Was he so in love with this horse pic, he could care less if it has words across it?!
Season 3 GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D
For those who don't know, Dwight Smith tragically died in an automobile crash when he and his brother Greg (also a player at Western Kentucky) and sister Kay were returning from their home in Princeton celebrating Mothers Day in May 1967. The car hit water and ended up in a ditch filled with floodwater. Dwight and Kay both died trapped in the car. Greg nearly drowned but was saved by a nearby person who witnessed the accident.

19670515_Paducah_Sun_Dwight_Smith_Dies_PartI.jpg

19670515_Paducah_Sun_Dwight_Smith_Dies_PartII.jpg

The previous month Dwight Smith played in the Kentucky-Indiana Collegiate All-Star game along with Louie Dampier, Wesleyan's Sam Smith, Louisville's Dave Gilbert, Murray's Herb McPherson etc. Adolph Rupp was the coach and the Ky All-Stars won both games convincingly. Dwight Smith scored 19 and 16 points respectively in the two games. This was likely the last organized games he played prior to his death.''

19670408_LCJ_Dwight_Smith_Sam_Smith_Harry_Lancaster.jpg

Photo of Dwight Smith guarding Sam Smith in front of UK Assistant Coach Harry Lancaster during practice before one of the All-Star games.

Here's some more details about Dwight Smith.

WKU's Dwight Smith's Legacy of Basketball Greatness Lives On

Last edited:
I believe Willis is part Native American from an article I read about him. He has a tattoo recognizing it,

Alydar this was not a crucifixtion; you'll get that when you make the wrong typo in a post. I know I only put a split second of thought in my post and if you took offense I did not mean any...I don't think that fast.

Reactions: Woodsmoke
Watched that Princeton Dotson team play in the state tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT