ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson is right

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 96 team depended a ton on the press and why not. At that time teams had one, at most two, ball handlers. In fact the press often allowed positions 3-5 to get the ball because it was impending doom. Nowadays all those guys have ball skills too, which is why we don't see the press anymore.

That team was Uber talented but also stalled offensively if they couldn't turn the other team over. Syracuse was a perfect example. They took care of the ball and John Wallace killed us because he was the rare 4 who could handle the ball. Had delk not been on fire, we might lose that game.

i do think there’s some overreaction to the lsu loss given the circumstances. it sucked but i just don’t think there’s anyone you can point the finger at except bad luck. but i understand why fans are antsy about it. desperate for our first real marquee win in nearly 2 years.

Again, tbf I don’t believe in coincidences. He posts that after we lost two starters in a top 25 road game. If he didn’t mean it as a poke at Cal it sure looks that way.

And also again. I’m not saying he’s completely wrong but comparing games 27 years apart is pushing it. So much has changed.

Also on a side note, you’re a soiid poster, does every post you do HAVE to be a shot at modern society and politics?
We lost the game Tuesday today is Saturday. Maybe it’s a shot at cal or maybe he’s sitting around watching basketball today and doesn’t like what he sees. I mean lots of games are played in the 70s and less. Kentucky fits in with about 50% of inept offenses around basketball. He’s also saying we used to curb stomp teams on the road but now we are like other SEC teams thinking road games are a crap shoot. It’s all in the mentality. And the defense of cal really has zero legs left to stand on. I honestly can’t take it anymore. He’s divided the fan base, I can’t listen to or look at him the same because of how badly we lost last year and have bad losses this year. I honestly cannot have any hope in cal until the program takes a 180 for a while and we win games against good teams. Not 1 win that’s not gonna cut it now cal needs like 5-6 top 25 wins in a row. He needs to beat Kansas and not lose the wins lead to win some fans back.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I think our disagreement is on how much difference players staying in school made. I think teams like the 96 team would have never ever had a shot clock violation against Wisconsin late. They would have been up by 15 to 20 points so it wouldn't have mattered. The team the 15 team lost to besides having John Higgins was an older team.
i do agrée thé expérience makes a difference as well. it’s why i love the makeup of this years team and i’m a little suspect going forward that even if we have success this season it’s not necessarily going to transfer forward because Cal appears to be trying to recruit his starting lineups again and go back to turning over most of the rotation every year.

i also think it takes more than just getting the better transfers. i think you need guys that have been in your program for multiple years.

I think DA cares about UK basketball. He’s always been a UK fan. Even growing up in louisville i think he said he was a UK fan. he used to wear uk gear under his uniform in his nba games.

so i wouldn’t be surprised if his comment was related to our performance on tuesday.

How long do we have to go on pretending the offense we run isn't the problem? "Cal haters" would instantly be cut to a minimum if we ran an competent offense but some of you have to go on pretending that it isn't even an issue. Can't even acknowledge the problem.
You can't run a complicated offense when you have a brand new team every year, especially when the players are 1 year removed from HS, where the most structured offenses they have played, were in AAU.

Our problems begin and end with the ridiculous roster turnover we have every year.

People are on here downplaying the talent/experience that Calipari had on the 96 UMass team. Marcus Camby was basically Anthony Davis in college. The National player of the year. Donta Bright was really good. Padilla/Travieso was a great veteran guard combo.

Stop acting like Cal had a bunch of stiffs in the final 4 for UMass. He still needed an absolute stud way back then to be successful.
Exactly. Also, Bright was a First Team AA out of high school. I think his team won the national title in HS IIRC. They were a national power in any event.

You can't run a complicated offense when you have a brand new team every year, especially when the players are 1 year removed from HS, where the most structured offenses they have played, were in AAU.

Our problems begin and end with the ridiculous roster turnover we have every year.
You can run a competent offense. It doesn't have to be complicated to have good spacing, good ball movement, good driving lanes, good screens and off-ball screens. It's basic stuff the we don't do.

I will consent that it was one of the dumbest things CL ever said, but I also think it’s been taken off context too. Cal is here to win, but he’s so stubborn at times that he sometimes puts development in front of winning games. I think that’s changing a bit for him this year though.
I hope you’re right. You know I’m waaaay down on Cal but I care about UK a lot more than I care about Cal.

Completely different era of basketabll. That 96 team was amazing, but that was a different time. Talent level outside of P5 schools was nonexistent, AAU ball didn’t exist, just really another world. So if you were serious about basketball you went to a P5 school. Now that doesn’t happen. Players go just about anywhere. So Talent level on these big name school rosters was stout. When you watched a P5 game, it was entertaining. Now talent is widely spread out. High value players sometimes skip college altogether. We can all bitch and moan about it but those days of college ball aren’t ever coming back and not a thing we can do about it.

I love DA, and he’s not completely wrong here, but he’s not completely right either.

UK shot 58% for the night. And 43% from the arc. When’s the last time you can recall any team shooting that high of a percentage for a game? We couldn’t miss.

LSU also scored 97 points. 55 points in the second half. Heck we scored another 40. Nobody played defense after halftime. Fun game. But just a different time.

I certainly don’t think Cal watches much YouTube.
You couldn’t be more wrong. If anything, competition was much better in the 80s & 90s. Mid-majors & lesser P5 schools have always made deep tournament runs & had teams that were regularly ranked in the top 20. For example, here is a list of those types of FF teams from 1977-1998. UNNC & UNLV in 77; Indiana St, DePaul & Penn in 79; Houston in 82, 83 & 84; Memphis St in 85; UNLV & Providence in 87 (Providence is P5 but they qualify); UNLV again in 90 & 91; Cincinnati in 92: UMASS in 96; and, Utah in 98. LOTS more made deep runs that ended in the sweet 16 or region final.

If anything smaller schools were better back then. There were more quality teams in every conference, too. And, since players stayed 4 years mostly there weren’t always open roster spots for the best incoming FR so they would have to go somewhere else & the talent was spread out much more than today. There weren’t as many super athletic guys on each team & now there are more big guys who shoot 3s & handle the ball. But, outside of that I see a game that isn’t even a shadow of what it was up until 2005 or so.

Cal first fans are the most sensitive group of people next to the transgenders. A former UK great makes an innocuous comment that applies to most of college basketball and they take it as a slight towards Cal.

The CSS (Calipari Stan Segment) is a strange bunch. Mdwildcats55, probably the leader of the Cal sycophants, even said he wouldn’t remove Calipari if he had losing season after losing season. It’s pretty wild that a guy like him who’s lived through every era since Hall would make such a claim.

Calipari is the best salesman the game has ever seen, in any era. With that comes the stans who can’t think straight without their knight at the top.

I try and not get them confused with fans who actually think Cal is still the best option. Some days, I’m one of those. But in the end I always end up at the same place, it’s probably just time after next season. More than anything I wanted Calipari to be our Roy Williams (with classes) but he just didn’t do what it took to get it done. A Hall legacy isn’t a bad one, but he definitely is the biggest “what if” in college basketball history.

DA forgot to mention they barely beat Wisconsin- Green Bay 74-62

it is easy cherry pick a game every year

Cherry pick another game U.K. has scored that many points in a half then against a D1 team since then. I’ll wait.

The game is something to be proud of as a U.K. fan.
I don’t understand the hate from some on this thread toward DA or the downplaying of that game.

Cherry pick another game U.K. has scored that many points in a half then against a D1 conference team. I’ll wait.

I don’t understand the hate from some on this thread toward DA or the downplaying of that game.
my post is not a shot at DA, just a fact in cherry picking a game
but DA was taking a shot at this UK team
defend that all you want

Reactions: rupp876
I know everyone took it as some shot against Cal but if you’ve been involved in coaching in the last several years you see the dribble handoff is overemphasized everywhere. It’s just a lazy way to get the ball to someone without using any real movement without the ball. He could be referring to camps, clinics, or any coach. Just so happens Cal uses it a ton. But whatever. He isn’t wrong.

my post is not a shot at DA, just a fact in cherry picking a game
but DA was taking a shot at this UK team
defend that all you want

Thats debateable. I follow him on IG. He works with young people, always talking about fundamentals, Xs and Os, learning the game the right way etc which is consistent with this post. The fact that you feel you need to defend this team or Cal when neither were mentioned in that post speaks volumes.

I know everyone took it as some shot against Cal but if you’ve been involved in coaching in the last several years you see the dribble handoff is overemphasized everywhere. It’s just a lazy way to get the ball to someone without using any real movement without the ball. He could be referring to camps, clinics, or any coach. Just so happens Cal uses it a ton. But whatever. He isn’t wrong.
it is also that safest way

some coaches like to gamble others do not
neither style is wrong, they are just different

there are many ways to get the same results
which is to win the game

i will go back to the 96 team (which i think is the best UK team ever) Marshall scored 99 on them

Reactions: rupp876
Thats debateable. I follow him on IG. He works with young people, always talking about fundamentals, Xs and Os, learning the game the right way etc which is consistent with this post. The fact that you feel you need to defend this team or Cal when neither were mentioned in that post speaks volumes.
if you do not think that is a shot then you are very naive

Ain’t gonna happen. Cal’s never shown any interest in bringing a former UK player aboard his staff (well, except for Brad, who I don’t really count). And, if he ever does, it will be one that played for him, not Pitino.
I agree with you 100%. That just goes to show how stubborn Cal is. Brad has no place on this staff. It’s honestly kinda pathetic that he is when he could go out and hire a guy like DA. Someone that’s way more knowledgeable than anyone else on the staff.

One that needs to go is Bruiser. Cal needs to just stop hiring his buddies.

it is also that safest way

some coaches like to gamble others do not
neither style is wrong, they are just different

there are many ways to get the same results
which is to win the game

i will go back to the 96 team (which i think is the best UK team ever) Marshall scored 99 on them
You’re right. There are many ways to win. Coaches that eat clock or don’t have a shot clock love it. But you’re not going to see a great offense who regularly utilizes it outside of a big giving the ball back to a guard. The fact Marshall scored 99 points has zero to do with the 96 Cats offense, which is what Anderson was referring to. Hey, but to each his own style I guess.

You’re right. There are many ways to win. Coaches that eat clock or don’t have a shot clock love it. But you’re not going to see a great offense who regularly utilizes it outside of a big giving the ball back to a guard. The fact Marshall scored 99 points has zero to do with the 96 Cats offense, which is what Anderson was referring to. Hey, but to each his own style I guess.
UVA won a championship playing the most boring basketball you can play
they also lost to a 16 seed playing that style

every style wins some and loses some

at the end of the day it is all about winning

I remember posting a rebuttal to that garbage. Team was stacked.
Yeah. They lost ONE regular season game that was really close. Hell, it might’ve even went to OT. Then the game in the FF to us. They lost two games all season with that “rag tag” group.

They also beat number 1 ranked teams in 1994 and 1995 IIRC. Might’ve been 1993. In any event, they were on a major uptick for about four or so years prior to 1996.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I'm sorry but there were no x's & o's in that game. It was run & gun transition the whole game. And that team was LOADED 9-10 deep.

Just a very stupid tweet that shows his ignorance of the game he played in. There was very little coaching in that game...lol.
Yes, because that team learned to press at the local park playing pickup games. They learned to trap and suffocate their opponent there too. 🤣

Reactions: kywildcat41086
DA is 1000% right!
He wasn't directing his comments specifically toward Calipari but, if the damned shoe fits...
Kentucky's offense the ENTIRE time Calipari has been head coach has been garbage. BUT, in the past he has had far superior talent to make up for those offensive deficiencies.
The positive is that many other major D1 programs use a similar garbage offense. If I hear the words "horns set" one more effin' time....

Last edited:
Cherry pick another game U.K. has scored that many points in a half then against a D1 team since then. I’ll wait.

I don’t see people trying to downplay that game, more like putting it in its proper perspective. It was an anomaly, a one time thing when everything broke just right. But let’s not act like it was the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT