ADVERTISEMENT

Deivon Smith PG Stud

I don’t care where they come from. Also, you said University of Utah East so I assumed you meant other from University of Utah. Utah, Utah St and BYU are not the same places. I’d take the best from each and be pleased.
Fair enough -- edited to UniviersitIES of Utah - East. One of them has the potential to be GREAT enough to play here, not the other 2. Pope said it: UK is about the GREAT, not the VERY GOOD.

This guy would be a great get for UK.

I also agree you arent winning a damn thing at UK without some serious future NBA talent on the roster. They don't have to be nba all stars but our last 3 titles show that.

I really wish (some) people would stop using ad hominem attacks, which seek to discredit someone's views simply because he or she recently started posting. Would y'all like to remain an echo chamber for the sake of patting each other on the back? Or would you prefer to hear fresh, possibly contrarian, takes?

Reactions: UKortho
He is a very solid player. But Collin Chandler and Great Osobor are reaches, to put it nicely. I wasn't crazy about the Pope hire, and the news to date is anything but inspiring. I appreciate your feedback, though.
What a stupid take. Great Osobor was POY in the Mountain West, which was the highest rated mid-major conference last year. Collin Chandler is highly rated recruit who hits Pope's system perfectly.

My advice to you would be to cease posting immediately. Throw away your computer and cancel your internet service. You just need to realize that your lifetime potential amounts to lying down in the landscaping somewhere and slowly becoming mulch.

He is a very solid player. But Collin Chandler and Great Osobor are reaches, to put it nicely. I wasn't crazy about the Pope hire, and the news to date is anything but inspiring. I appreciate your feedback, though.
3 players on the all SEC team this year were from mid-majors. On Chandler he had multiple high major offers and was highly sough after

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
What a stupid take. Great Osobor was POY in the Mountain West, which was the highest rated mid-major conference last year. Collin Chandler is highly rated recruit who hits Pope's system perfectly.

My advice to you would be to cease posting immediately. Throw away your computer and cancel your internet service. You just need to realize that your lifetime potential amounts to lying down in the landscaping somewhere and slowly becoming mulch.
Say that again - the Mountain West. Not 1, not 2, but 3 of them. The odds of reaching success with that level of concentration from any single mid major conference are staggeringly low. Pope needs to get a little uncomfortable if he wants to be successful here.

This guy would be a great get for UK.

I also agree you arent winning a damn thing at UK without some serious future NBA talent on the roster. They don't have to be nba all stars but our last 3 titles show that.
You need NBA talent to overcome poor coaching or it’s been that way last 15 years or so. We aren’t sure what the Pope needs yet.

1) You're a crazy SOB if you think those guys will be competitive enough to win big in a Power 5 conference.

2) Lol bro, I have 2 ivy degrees, 25 years on the sell side and buy side, and retired at age 44. This is but a silly game for me - retirement is much more boring than I imagined it would be. Trust me, I tend to get these things right. I am an alpha and you are filthy sheep amongst the herd going off the cliff. If you want to compare actual life resumes, e-mail me at callingbs123@gmail. I'll demonstrate the sorry little person that you are. Seriously, you couldn't be any more wrong.

1) You're a crazy SOB if you think those guys will be competitive enough to win big in a Power 5 conference.

2) Lol bro, I have 2 ivy degrees, 25 years on the sell side and buy side, and retired at age 44. This is but a silly game for me - retirement is much more boring than I imagined it would be. Trust me, I tend to get these things right. I am an alpha and you are filthy sheep amongst the herd going off the cliff. If you want to compare actual life resumes, e-mail me at callingbs123@gmail. I'll demonstrate the sorry little person that you are. Seriously, you couldn't be any more wrong.
Don’t forget your humble too!

He just watched a kid from northern Colorado win player of the year in the conference, and he is saying you can’t win with guys like osobor

It's only ignorant if you think I'm implying it's a Mormon problem. I'm not. Right now, without looking, tell me one player outside of Andre Miller who has come out of a Utah program to flourish in the pros, or one Utah product who's ever had an impact at UK (or any Kentucky school). I AM saying that Pope is going to have to get away from his comfort zone, which is clearly the players he saw in Utah last season. To be honest, I can't even think of 3 dudes in the state of Kentucky we should be taking from the portal. Don't settle - this is freaking UK.
In the future yeah, and he will, but for now he needs players and if his connections to Utah help us build a roster for next year, then I’m all for it. Smith is a take every day and twice on Sunday.

If he is good enough to play than let him play. Who gives a funk where he is from. Pope is a smart guy it seems. He won’t always go to the same fishing hole but if he is aware of these talents and they happen to be the same place who cares.

In the future yeah, and he will, but for now he needs players and if his connections to Utah help us build a roster for next year, then I’m all for it. Smith is a take every day and twice on Sunday.
That's fair - first things first - fill out a roster. I was just hoping the incoming coach would bring some real dudes with him (Edgecomb any one?) and have enough pull to sway the elite portal names to UK. I had a pit in my stomach when news broke that Pope was going to be named HC - and it really hasn't subsided.

Yeah, my fear is precisely that Pope thinks they're perfect for "his" system - a system which has produced 0 NCAA wins.
Are these kids better than the ones he had or was able to recruit to BYU but still had them in the Top 10 during the season?

• Love
Are these kids better than the ones he had or was able to recruit to BYU but still had them in the Top 10 during the season?
Same team that was 60th in adjusted defensive efficiency, 68th in adjusted SoS, and flamed out against 11th seed Duquesne in the NCAAs. The idea here is that Pope can bring UK's resources to bear to assemble a team of top-flight talent that can compete more or less right away. Pope said he understands the assignment -- now he has to walk the walk.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Well if someone is a complete douche, I'm gonna give it right back.
I get it, I do the same. It reminded me of a quote by Nelson Mandela. “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”

We've been getting schooled by the NOT Who's Who in basketball for so long that I don't think we're in any position to argue otherwise. I say bring em on if they can ball. Who cares where they are from.

I get it, I do the same. It reminded me of a quote by Nelson Mandela. “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”
My wife is from South Africa, and she often invokes that quote - usually because I have fallen down :)

Reeves came from Illinois St. Dalton Knecht came from Northern Colorado, and Mark Sears came from Ohio. That’s the top three

Say that again - the Mountain West. Not 1, not 2, but 3 of them. The odds of reaching success with that level of concentration from any single mid major conference are staggeringly low. Pope needs to get a little uncomfortable if he wants to be successful here.
Utah was in the Pac this past season. BYU is in the Big 12. But, I think most will just have to agree to disagree with you on this.

You need NBA talent to overcome poor coaching or it’s been that way last 15 years or so. We aren’t sure what the Pope needs yet.
Every championship team has nba talent in it lol. They may not have 6-7 of them but they have some for sure.

Utah was in the Pac this past season. BYU is in the Big 12. But, I think most will just have to agree to disagree with you on this.
I know that, but they are legacy Mountain West schools; in other words, solidly mid major. I'm good with disagreement; it separates me from the sheeple.

The Ivy League is strong in this one.

And you have fallen down a whole long flight of stairs on here. So get back up, brush yourself off and go to another board. Would be the best move you could make.
Ok, keyboard warrior. I'll stick around, thank you. If you don't like alternative opinions, there's a wonderful place called China that will put you in a camp the first time you express yours. Pound sand.

No way a guy from Ohio could compete in the SEC. Not Ohio St. the Ohio Bobcats

I don't normally bite the bait but this one got me.
This is much more simple than y'all are making it out to be. It would be lazy and irresponsible if Pope took 3 guys from the (legacy) Mountain West simply because he coached in that league and that's where he's comfortable fishing. The odds of such a concentration being successful at any program are very low. Of course, a player from Ohio - or North Dakota or Mars - could be a huge success here. Did ya'll really want a coach who was going to come in and go all in on Mountain West guys. That's silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT