ADVERTISEMENT

Deivon Smith PG Stud

how many years does he have left, 1 or 2. If he's not a cancer, then who cares how many schools he went to before now. He would be as starter and finish his career here and I trust Pope to know if the kids attitude fits

If we get Williams and Osobor we need shooters at all the 1-3 spots so I'm not sure he's the best
fits as there are several points available that are really good 3 point shooters.
Yeah, if you look at how many in the portal shot over 40 from three it is worrisome that we could have to surround the bigs with guys that shoot the three in the 30's. Some of these aren't even looking around much. Just picking a place and going.

He isn't coming here. Too many good teams needing only a player or two where he can see how he fits. Its hard to get top players to come when the boat is empty. Thats why Reed didn't come back.

I wonder who Pope prefers between Smith and Javon Small? Doubt we would get both. Sounds like Smith is the better "pure" PG, but Small is much bigger physically and a superior spot-up shooter. He visited Miami without committing and it sounds like we're still in a good spot with him.

In a perfect world we get a package deal from Oklahoma State with a nice backup big man in Brandon Garrison and a stud guard with Small.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I wonder who Pope prefers between Smith and Javon Small? Doubt we would get both. Sounds like Smith is the better "pure" PG, but Small is much bigger physically and a superior spot-up shooter. He visited Miami without committing and it sounds like we're still in a good spot with him.

In a perfect world we get a package deal from Oklahoma State with a nice backup big man in Brandon Garrison and a stud guard with Small.
Brandon Garrison is set to visit UK. Maybe we can get them both. Garrison might be a starting caliber player. He was a burger boy coming out of high school. Top 50 prospect.

Last edited:
lol. You can’t be serious. Just put the bong down for 2 seconds and admit you don’t know what you are talking about more than half the time. Geez. 29-71 from distance and “he cant shoot” is just plain goofy.
Go look at his other years of shooting. 29/71 isn’t a large sample size for a guard. And if pope get these two big guys(neither one are shooters) then it’s an issue similar to what cal had

Go look at his other years of shooting. 29/71 isn’t a large sample size for a guard. And if pope get these two big guys(neither one are shooters) then it’s an issue similar to what cal had
He’s a POINT GUARD. 29/71 is enough of a a sample size

Last edited:
Reactions: TM2013
That's fair - first things first - fill out a roster. I was just hoping the incoming coach would bring some real dudes with him (Edgecomb any one?) and have enough pull to sway the elite portal names to UK. I had a pit in my stomach when news broke that Pope was going to be named HC - and it really hasn't subsided.
I still feel as if the risk in hiring Pope was not equal to the possible reward. That’s just me. Like him better than Cal though.

• Wow
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
I know the portal rankings are subjective but if this guy is as good as many are saying why is he ranked at #40?

I know the portal rankings are subjective but if this guy is as good as many are saying why is he ranked at #40?
Good queation in my book... i had the same concern about mahaney. I read about his efficiency rating and it was not great; especially when compared to the way people speak of him

We played against him twice a few years ago during the 9 win season. He didn't do much in those games as a freshman. He was behind DJ Stewart and Molinar.

On3 has Smith and Mahaney as the No. 2 and 3 uncommitted PGs remaining. Javon Small is No. 1 on their list.

There's going to be plenty of shooting guards and wings available. We need to lock up a proven point guard quickly. There's not many of them out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT