ADVERTISEMENT

Deivon Smith PG Stud

Just reported to have entered portal. 4 year player at Utah. Averaged 13.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 7.1 assists per game. Had 5 triple doubles this past season and several close misses. He’s from Georgia. Sounds like a player Pope could really use to run the show in Lexington. Let’s go get him!
I think we need to hold off on the "get him!" and "come on down!" comments until we actually start signing guys. We're starting to look like fools acting like every player is out there just waiting to be picked by us.

Last edited:
I would like very much to not become the Universities of Utah - East. In fact, we should probably have no more than 1 player from Utah in any four-year period.

Last edited:
Reactions: MakinMusic
Who else is there from Utah?
Apart from Perry, the only guy committed to UK as of this moment is the BYU "transfer" just returning from his 2 years abroad. Great Osobor (Utah State) is strongly rumored to be the next guy that UK picks up. If you add this guy to the mix, that's 3 dudes coming out of Utah. That's not enough for you?

Apart from Perry, the only guy committed to UK as of this moment is the BYU "transfer" just returning from his 2 years abroad. Great Osobor (Utah State) is strongly rumored to be the next guy that UK picks up. If you add this guy to the mix, that's 3 dudes coming out of Utah. That's not enough for you?
I don’t care where they come from. Also, you said University of Utah East so I assumed you meant other from University of Utah. Utah, Utah St and BYU are not the same places. I’d take the best from each and be pleased.

I don’t care where they come from. Also, you said University of Utah East so I assumed you meant other from University of Utah. Utah, Utah St and BYU are not the same places. I’d take the best from each and be pleased.

Pope said himself that he wants and needs to expand his recruiting horizons. I guarantee that UK won't win diddly if it has 3 portal transfers from the great basketball powerhouses from the state of Utah.
Not remotely. Why should I give a flying fung where the players are from if they’re good.

Because there ain't gonna be 3 dudes from Utah at a given point in time that are all good enough to play at UK. We're talking UK - the one that is the blue blood that Pope is trying to resurrect.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Pope said himself that he wants and needs to expand his recruiting horizons. I guarantee that UK won't win diddly if it has 3 portal transfers from the great basketball powerhouses from the state of Utah.

Because there ain't gonna be 3 dudes from Utah at a given point in time that are all good enough to play at UK. We're talking UK - the one that is the blue blood that Pope is trying to resurrect.
Reeves came from Illinois St. Dalton Knecht came from Northern Colorado, and Mark Sears came from Ohio. That’s the top three scorers in the SEC last season and none transferred from a school near as good as Utah St, BYU or Utah. But you are telling me you wouldn’t want Osobar, Smith or Robinson from BYU, the best player on each team, because they are from colleges in the state of Utah?

Smith started out at Mississippi State, then Georgia Tech and then Utah.

He's from GA and was a guy who was recruited by previous staff a bit to Kentucky. He was a backup option a the time. But loved UK.

He's a big time player.

Reeves came from Illinois St. Dalton Knecht came from Northern Colorado, and Mark Sears came from Ohio. That’s the top three scorers in the SEC last season and none transferred from a school near as good as Utah St, BYU or Utah. But you are telling me you wouldn’t want Osobar, Smith or Robinson from BYU, the best player on each team, because they are from colleges in the state of Utah?
They r Mormons, we hate Mormons 😜

i know your joking but that is stupid. don't care their religion just care if they can play ball and don't care if we got 12 from utah as long as they can play ball.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

He's from GA and was a guy who was recruited by previous staff a bit to Kentucky. He was a backup option a the time. But loved UK.

He's a big time player.

BuT hE’s FrOm UtAh!!

Nevermind how good he is and all.. lol

Reactions: TM2013
One of the most ignorant statements I’ve ever read on here. That is quite an accomplishment.
It's only ignorant if you think I'm implying it's a Mormon problem. I'm not. Right now, without looking, tell me one player outside of Andre Miller who has come out of a Utah program to flourish in the pros, or one Utah product who's ever had an impact at UK (or any Kentucky school). I AM saying that Pope is going to have to get away from his comfort zone, which is clearly the players he saw in Utah last season. To be honest, I can't even think of 3 dudes in the state of Kentucky we should be taking from the portal. Don't settle - this is freaking UK.

It's only ignorant if you think I'm implying it's a Mormon problem. I'm not. Right now, without looking, tell me one player outside of Andre Miller who has come out of a Utah program to flourish in the pros, or one Utah product who's ever had an impact at UK (or any Kentucky school). I AM saying that Pope is going to have to get away from his comfort zone, which is clearly the players he saw in Utah last season. To be honest, I can't even think of 3 dudes in the state of Kentucky we should be taking from the portal. Don't settle - this is freaking UK.
You have got to be a troll. Most of these Utah players aren't from Utah and they are from 3 different colleges in Utah. If they are good they are good, no one cares if they are nba prospects.

He's a big time player.
He is a very solid player. But Collin Chandler and Great Osobor are reaches, to put it nicely. I wasn't crazy about the Pope hire, and the news to date is anything but inspiring. I appreciate your feedback, though.

He is a very solid player. But Collin Chandler and Great Osobor are reaches, to put it nicely. I wasn't crazy about the Pope hire, and the news to date is anything but inspiring. I appreciate your feedback, though.
You aren't educated about basketball chandler was ranked almost the same as Reed sheppard. You are either racist against white players or a person from utah stole your gf
Osobor is a good player and ranked 5 in the transfer portal. You are so misinformed I think you want Kentucky with no decent players.

You have got to be a troll. Most of these Utah players aren't from Utah and they are from 3 different colleges in Utah. If they are good they are good, no one cares if they are nba prospects.
I recognize that Osobor is from the U.K., but for goodness sakes, we're still talking about 3 players from what are historically Mountain West schools. I'm just not seeing that as a winning proposition. Pope and all his new disicples can throw all the shade they want at NBA prospects, but let's remember that the '96 team had nine -- NINE - freaking future NBA players on the roster. Cal obviously sucked at roster construction, but we need not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Matbe you're the troll for setting up UK for a very medicore program going forward. See how that works.

I recognize that Osobor is from the U.K., but for goodness sakes, we're still talking about 3 players from what are historically Mountain West schools. I'm just not seeing that as a winning proposition. Pope and all his new disicples can throw all the shade they want at NBA prospects, but let's remember that the '96 team had nine -- NINE - freaking future NBA players on the roster. Cal obviously sucked at roster construction, but we need not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Matbe you're the troll for setting up UK for a very medicore program going forward. See how that works.
Last time I checked I'm from Kentucky and been a fan since I been 6 first being Travis Fords last years. You are from Southern cal and think we need to have 8 nba players and 10 mcdonalds all Americans to be successful. If pope thinks he's good enough to come here he is. He knows our expectations. It's hard to tell with these negative posters if they are rival, cal fans or just not patient enough waiting on process. The players we are recruiting pass the eye test. I bet you money they'll be good if they come here.

You aren't educated about basketball chandler was ranked almost the same as Reed sheppard. You are either racist against white players or a person from utah stole your gf
Osobor is a good player and ranked 5 in the transfer portal. You are so misinformed I think you want Kentucky with no decent players
Knock it off with the race bs. Separately, the portal transfer is junk outside of a few players at each position. Like I said in other posts, I want UK to have the most outstanding players in the country from top to bottom; I could care less about some prospect who is rated as the fifth best at his position. Everyone is over-correcting for the Cal experience; be careful what you ask for fellas.

Last time I checked I'm from Kentucky and been a fan since I been 6 first being Travis Fords last years. You are from Southern cal and think we need to have 8 nba players and 10 mcdonalds all Americans to be successful. If pope thinks he's good enough to come here he is. He knows our expectations. It's hard to tell with these negative posters if they are rival, cal fans or just not patient enough waiting on process. The players we are recruiting pass the eye test. I bet you money they'll be good if they come here.
You know nothing about me. My father was a Prof at UK from 1971 to 1986, and I assure you I've seen hundreds of more games, many of them at Rupp, than you have. I practically resided in Pence Hall with my father. I subsequently bounced all over the country, and haven't lived in CA for some time now. You know that sometimes people who present a negative view are right, don't you? I was done with Cal over 5 years ago, and took plenty of pushback on that viewpoint. Pope is selling big dreams right now - and I don't think he's going to be able to cash those checks. Believe me when I say I want what is best for UK; I'm VERY concerned.

Reactions: UKortho
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT