ADVERTISEMENT

Defending 3's

I'm with OP on this. We are much bigger with long arms so we need to get those arms up against the shots.

Actually, I thought our three pt defense was very respectable, particularly in second half. It’s improved dramatically as the year has gone on. This is particularly impressive given that we don’t give up the lane to little old ladies on walkers quite so easily lately nor allow teams to just dump the ball on the baseline on a whim. Kinda unusual to see a team shore up both inside and outside defense at the same time.

Reactions: Dirt Court King
PJ went for a head fake against 6'0 Beard from 25 feet out, who then proceeded to knock down the 3 after watching our meathead fly by....

Then there was Vanderbilt playing leap frog on a head fake.

Actually he did that twice. The time the Arky guy backed under him on a rebound could be an advertisement for use of athletic supporters. Made me cringe.

Reactions: brianpoe
Then there was Vanderbilt playing leap frog on a head fake.

Actually he did that twice. The time the Arky guy backed under him on a rebound could be an advertisement for use of athletic supporters. Made me cringe.

Does Vanderbilt hit the floor more times than the ball does? Kid is always getting up off the ground...

Does Vanderbilt hit the floor more times than the ball does? Kid is always getting up off the ground...

He’s in the air more than everybody else. Sometimes I wonder if he realizes landing is a necessary consequence of jumping. Has no regard for his body. No surprise to me he hurt his foot.

I mean this in the most respectful way. He goes after everything.

PJ went for a head fake against 6'0 Beard from 25 feet out, who then proceeded to knock down the 3 after watching our meathead fly by....

PJ is definitely the worst one of the bunch for biting on the head fake. However, Wenyan, Jared, Hami and Nick aren't far behind.

I think all a player has to do is wiggle his eyebrows and they all would jump.:D

Serious question....

If you coached against this Kentucky team, do you bench any player that doesn't use a head fake before taking any shot?

Has there been a team worse than ours that goes for EVERY SINGLE head fake?

I would make players run suicides for not suing head fake. It’s not just a UK problem. No teams out there really use it anymore. Fundamentals doesn’t seem to be that important anymore.. it’s about long athletic players that can’t shoot

And we literally guarded and played better defense the 2nd half, and we shut down a lot of Arkansas 3 pointers they got in the 1st half....I was talking game to game not collectively....

Cal mentioned it in his post game but their first three 3's they made were all from offensive rebound and kick outs. No real way to defend that unless you want our guys to not attempt defensive rebounds. There may have been an instance or two where the close out attempt was half assed and we didn't extend our arms out enough, though. Wasn't trying to discredit your point, I should've realized you just meant the game last night in particular

Cal mentioned it in his post game but their first three 3's they made were all from offensive rebound and kick outs. No real way to defend that unless you want our guys to not attempt defensive rebounds. There may have been an instance or two where the close out attempt was half assed and we didn't extend our arms out enough, though. Wasn't trying to discredit your point, I should've realized you just meant the game last night in particular

No problem at all we both made a good point just glad we won....

Serious question....

If you coached against this Kentucky team, do you bench any player that doesn't use a head fake before taking any shot?

Has there been a team worse than ours that goes for EVERY SINGLE head fake?

One of PJs 7 or 8 he actually jumped up and didnt even raise his arms. He looked like a soccer player on a corner kick. Funny ish in hindsight. Infuriating at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT