ADVERTISEMENT

Declining Recruiter and Average Coach!

Philstat

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2004
IMO, that's just how I see it, he never calls the TO late game, unless he's put in a position to where he has no choice. Think back over the years of how many times he said he should've called a TO, he doesn't know what to call or command during one. BW simply out-coached him, as did JUCO Bob, Bo Ryan and many others. He's bringing in far less talent than he has over the past few years and as of now, that looks to be the case for next year as well.

It's a number of things, losing with the USA team this past year hurt a lot more than many realize and I believe very negatively impacted recruiting going forward. He's losing the top five-ten players more consistently now and I honestly don't see him ever winning a title again.
Crystal balls are so reliable.

It's a number of things, losing with the USA team this past year hurt a lot more than many realize and I believe very negatively impacted recruiting going forward. He's losing the top five-ten players more consistently now and I honestly don't see him ever winning a title again.
You “believe”, huh? Only relevant word of your post. How could you possibly know what a ranked basketball recruit thinks?

Reactions: awf
You “believe”, huh? Only important words of your post. How could you possibly know what a ranked basketball recruit thinks?

Check out the top ten recruits over the past few years and get back to me. No doubt, Duke and others are leading to get the most elite, AD, JW type of players right now. When the NBA ceases the one and done, it will be Cal's demise, than coaches that coach players up for 2-3 seasons will dominate the game. He won't be able to get the elite players and it will be then on coaches who are exceptionally strong X and O coaches, of which he is not.

Check out the top ten recruits over the past few years and get back to me. No doubt, Duke and others are leading to get the most elite, AD, JW type of players right now. When the NBA ceases the one and done, it will be Cal's demise, than coaches that coach players up for 2-3 seasons will dominate the game. He won't be able to get the elite players and it will be then on coaches who are exceptionally strong X and O coaches, of which he is not.
Yeah, we hardly get any top recruits. Cough cough Fox, Monk, Bam, Knox.

Hey genius, would you rather have gotten top ten Bolden or 4star SGA?

giphy.gif

Oh sure. We never get any recruits anymore. That’s why we don’t have highly ranked recruiting classes. Oh, wait.

Oh sure. We never get any recruits anymore. That’s why we don’t have highly ranked recruiting classes. Oh, wait.

Well...you'l
l find out the hard way soon enough. Chances of us getting a better path to a FF than this year is likely to never occur again during his tenure. Somehow, someway, he still lost to a team who's tallest player on the floor for the last few minutes was 6'4.

Reactions: sgrooms
Well...you'll find out the hard way soon enough. Chances of us getting a better path to a FF than this year is likely to never occur again during his tenure. Somehow, someway, he still lost to a team that's tallest player on the floor was 6'4.
Well, you can keep hoping.

IMO, that's just how I see it, he never calls the TO late game, unless he's put in a position to where he has no choice. Think back over the years of how many times he said he should've called a TO, he doesn't know what to call or command during one. BW simply out-coached him, as did JUCO Bob, Bo Ryan and many others. He's bringing in far less talent than he has over the past few years and as of now, that looks to be the case for next year as well.
Lol. Bo Ryan coached for a zillion years and made it to like 2 or 3 final fours. Cal made 4 here within his first 6 years. You’re taking this too hard

Well...you'l
l find out the hard way soon enough. Chances of us getting a better path to a FF than this year is likely to never occur again during his tenure. Somehow, someway, he still lost to a team who's tallest player on the floor for the last few minutes was 6'4.
I’m curious. How old are you? Your complete lack of a historical perspective causes me to wonder.

Lol. Bo Ryan coached for a zillion years and made it to like 2 or 3 final fours. Cal made 4 here within his first 6 years. You’re taking this too hard

Hard to argue that point, truly is, though when Cal claimed to not have watched any game tape or discussed their strengths and skills with his team, it spoke volumes. He was out hustled and outworked in that game, he just was, they came to win, he didn't. My least favorite aspect of Cal is him telling the players they play for their name, not the name on the front of their jerseys!

Reactions: sgrooms and MO_Blue

It might have been on his PTI segment he was asked how he would change if the one and done rule changes. Said he would go back to coaching like he did during the UMASS days. My first thought is why isn’t he still coaching like the UMASS days? I believe he does more than roll the ball out but our teams are not coached like others are and I don’t mean that in a good way.

Seems he does rely on talent moreso than raw coaching ability and when the talent is there it eventually comes together but when it’s not we get what we saw this year. This was not a successful season at all IMO and we only made the sweet 16 due to upsets in our region as opposed to anything we did. Last nights coaching was the worst I’ve seen from him since 2010 WV. Like you I question if he has the ability to win another championship here? Not because he doesn’t know what he’s doing as I truly believe he does, he just seems rather stubborn and set in his ways to make the changes in his philosophy at this stage in his career.

Nah, the reason Duke is getting them now is because of Nike and fatass Capel negatively recruiting against us. Also, he steals all of our recruiting tactics. Every.Single.One. Hell, I even saw a new slogan they have now, "The Duke Effect". Are you ****ing serious with that, Duke?! I wonder where they got that from?! It's pathetic. Seriously.

I disagree. I think Cal would DOMINATE the two year rule. Nobody develops players like he does. Nobody.

Nah, the reason Duke is getting them now is because of Nike and fatass Capel negatively recruiting against us. Also, he steals all of our recruiting tactics. Every.Single.One. Hell, I even saw a new slogan they have now, "The Duke Effect". Are you ****ing serious with that, Duke?! I wonder where they got that from?! It's pathetic. Seriously.

Cal was the one that made all of the videos about how he recruits and comments of what he tells players, etc., they adapted. Think about the family, brother piece as well, they assimilated his process. Unfortunately so.

Last edited:
K State Coach took Alexander and Knox out of there normal game, therefore cut our legs off at the knees. GAME OVER.

It might have been on his PTI segment he was asked how he would change if the one and done rule changes. Said he would go back to coaching like he did during the UMASS days. My first thought is why isn’t he still coaching like the UMASS days? I believe he does more than roll the ball out but our teams are not coached like others are and I don’t mean that in a good way.

Seems he does rely on talent moreso than raw coaching ability and when the talent is there it eventually comes together but when it’s not we get what we saw this year. This was not a successful season at all IMO and we only made the sweet 16 due to upsets in our region as opposed to anything we did. Last nights coaching was the worst I’ve seen from him since 2010 WV. Like you I question if he has the ability to win another championship here? Not because he doesn’t know what he’s doing as I truly believe he does, he just seems rather stubborn and set in his ways to make the changes in his philosophy at this stage in his career.

I agree, he's too stubborn to win unless he has absolutely DOMINANT talent on the floor, AD and the gang had a drive like no other team he had, they had phenomenal talent and played to their potential - driven. I don't see him getting that again, hell, this year you could tell these kids lacked a lot of fight, passion and drive to get better, not all, though it was noticeable with some.

The timeout issue is more him wanting the players to empower themselves to make the right decisions without relying on him to micromanage them. The same reason he kept going to PJ: he wanted PJ to find the fortitude to overcome his struggles and make free throws,

Sometimes he just needs to put his stubbornness aside and take control, especially with a group of almost all freshmen and when they looked completely panicked.

Reactions: ukfan041

Yet when he wins, which is about 80+% of the time you are nowhere to be found giving him credit. Pathetic.

I don't agree a bit with that, though Cal was the one that made all of the videos about how he recruits and comments of what he tells players, etc., they adapted. Think about the family, brother piece as well, they assimilated his process.
You don't agree with that?! You basically said the exact same thing I did, just used different wording. They adapted?! Lmao Jeff Capel, is that you?!

I agree, he's too stubborn to win unless he has absolutely DOMINANT talent on the floor, AD and the gang had a drive like no other team he had, they had phenomenal talent and played to their potential - driven. I don't see him getting that again, hell, this year you could tell these kids lacked a lot of fight, passion and drive to get better, not all, though it was noticeable with some.

I will grant you this, it IS time that you and your superfriends to find another team and move on down the road. How about Loserville, Cincinnati, or Xavier? They have everything you want except someone to listen to your bullshit.

Honest, just leave. Follow your heart. Put your lips to Coach K's butthole and suck in that felony deliciousness. Find a nice mid-major that has no website and swear your undying faith. You just don't deserve all this pain. Cal is going nowhere, so you might as well strike out on your own.

I don't agree a bit with that, though Cal was the one that made all of the videos about how he recruits and comments of what he tells players, etc., they adapted. Think about the family, brother piece as well, they assimilated his process.

And they and their families are well-paid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT