ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Smith’s Four Corners

1. I have never liked Dean Smith, was not a fan of the four-corners, nor do I like UNC. That said,
2. Nowhere in the rules of the game does it say you have to score X-number of points or that you have to play a certain style. The only rule is that you have to score more points than your opponent to win. The fact that a lot of us don't like that style of play - it's not visually appealing - doesn't matter. Those of you who say it violates "the spirit of the game" are only applying your own beliefs on how the game should be played. No one on here complained when the UK football team was running the ball 90% of the time in 2019 with Lynn Bowden (yeah, but that was in response to not having any quarterbacks). Smith only ran the 4-corners when his team was mismatched, or to kill the clock in the final minutes. BTW, that season his team averaged 83 ppg.
Apples and Oranges bruh. And apparently it was so terrible it forced a rule change. It does go against the spirit of the game. As bad as college basketball is right now could you imagine no shot clock? Hell we have a coach who does it in his offense and pretty much everyone hates it. Do you like it? I wish they would go to 25 second shot clock. Don't get me wrong, I respect your position, I just simply disagree and that's fine.

Reactions: Montana81
1. I have never liked Dean Smith, was not a fan of the four-corners, nor do I like UNC. That said,
2. Nowhere in the rules of the game does it say you have to score X-number of points or that you have to play a certain style. The only rule is that you have to score more points than your opponent to win. The fact that a lot of us don't like that style of play - it's not visually appealing - doesn't matter. Those of you who say it violates "the spirit of the game" are only applying your own beliefs on how the game should be played. No one on here complained when the UK football team was running the ball 90% of the time in 2019 with Lynn Bowden (yeah, but that was in response to not having any quarterbacks). Smith only ran the 4-corners when his team was mismatched, or to kill the clock in the final minutes. BTW, that season his team averaged 83 ppg.
It was cheap and desperate. TVs across America turned the channel or just didn't tune into that crap. Not a surprising strategy coming from such an upstanding ethical member of the community.

Dean Smith invented the 4 corners and fake classes at UNC.

I wonder how much Dean was responsible for the fake classes. Knew about it? I have no doubts. But that whole ordeal wreaked of an institution wide conspiracy put into action by the tar heel decision makers and money that couldn’t stand the idea of taking a back seat to Duke. I doubt Smith came up with all of that.

My favorite Duke/SAT story came from UL. Before their match in the NCAAs, Duke players were mocking the IQs of the UL players. The old "Is that their jersey number or their IQ" joke. Pervis Ellison took it in stride and asked if any Duke player wanted to compare their SAT scores with his. None did.

I don’t know how true it is, but i remember hearing back in the early 2000’s Duke eventually lowered their admission standards for athletes so they could recruit certain basketball players. I think Sean Dockery was one of them. Supposedly K saw him as a sophomore and really wanted him but knew there was little to no chance he was going to attain a high enough test score and gpa to get into Duke. So K made sure by the time he graduated high school Duke’s acceptance standards were “more in line with their rivals”.

Again, i don’t know how much truth there is to this but it was told to me by a guy i used to know that was a student manager for them back then.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
That was the game that he called Robey at Piece of Shit and then after the game didn't even shake Joe B's hand.
He called him a son of a bitch! You're close though. Dean apologize later that summer and told Robey he didn't call him wat he thought he said. But Robey said that was good enough for him and maintains that Dean called him a SOB.

I don’t know how true it is, but i remember hearing back in the early 2000’s Duke eventually lowered their admission standards for athletes so they could recruit certain basketball players. I think Sean Dockery was one of them. Supposedly K saw him as a sophomore and really wanted him but knew there was little to no chance he was going to attain a high enough test score and gpa to get into Duke. So K made sure by the time he graduated high school Duke’s acceptance standards were “more in line with their rivals”.

Again, i don’t know how much truth there is to this but it was told to me by a guy i used to know that was a student manager for them back then.
I think K is so shady. It doesn't even have anything to do with being a rivaj coach but I think he'd go to great lengths to stay ahead. Sure he has that persona but how many times has that been exploited lol.;

I wonder how much Dean was responsible for the fake classes. Knew about it? I have no doubts. But that whole ordeal wreaked of an institution wide conspiracy put into action by the tar heel decision makers and money that couldn’t stand the idea of taking a back seat to Duke. I doubt Smith came up with all of that.

For what it is worth, Debbie Crowder, who was a BIG part of the fraud, spent a lot of time in Dean's office with Dean's secretary. Also, according to Matt Doherty, Dean told him not to touch the academic support system that was already in place.

Dean was involved up to his crooked neck. Unfortunately, the media will always present Dean as some kind of upstanding coach who never cheated. Fortunately, we know the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT