ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Smith’s Four Corners

The real farce about Dean Smith was that he was some modern day abolitionist. The entire AA studies/degree scandal was created on his watch, and he deprived hundreds of AA athletes of a legitimate education. Nothing could be more "racist" than that IMO. Further, Smith learned the art of cheating from Frank McGuire---who coached during UNC's first title. Not sure there has ever been a case where the "image" misaligned with the truth more than with Dean Smith.

Not me. Smith was bad and I could not stand him, but nobody was as bad as knight. He was the sorriest piece of shit that has ever been associated with basketball in my lifetime. I remember the indiana announcer chuck marlowe who worshiped the ground that knight walked on and every time marlowe interviewed him knight tried his best to make marlowe look like a dumb ass. Knight is just a miserable human being and indiana people still worship him. That is something that I just can't understand.
I hate them both with unbridled passion, but gotta disagree with you on this one. At least Knight made no pretense about himself, and was no darling of the press. Smith was a smarmy, phony SOB who was lionized by the media while hiding behind the facade of "the Carolina Way." I hope he's roasting in hell.

Should be beside chicken shit in the dictionary.

I was 11. Ready for title. I hate Carolina more than Duke. At least K would run with you.

Yes, & Dean’s mugshot should accompany the definition. I’ve always equated it to punching someone in the nose & then running away while telling everyone you won the fight. UNC fans should be embarrassed by that fraudulent gargoyle, not naming arenas after him. I’d rather lose if I had to win like that. UNC has always been my most hated team. I hated them before I even knew why I should or who they were. Dad, I hate to say he indoctrinated me but who am I kidding, hated UNC & DS with a passion & taught me to hate them just as much as he taught me to love UK. And, he was 100% correct. I do have to credit them on one thing though; they couldn’t have picked a better color to represent the program than that weak ass shade of blue.

I'd be willing to bet that, in really big games between similarly talented teams, Dean Smith's 4-corners cost them as many games as it won. I know I remember several NCAA/ACC tourney games where his team would be on a roll with maybe a 9-point lead and he'd go to the 4-corner. End of momentum, end of run. And, slowly the other team would creep back into it and, when it got too close late, UNC couldn't just flip a switch and recapture the momentum to win. I think the reliance on the 4-corner offense cost Dean at least one, if not two, NCAA championships. And, yes, he always had a ton of talent and got EVERY single loose ball call by the zebras and still managed to back into 'only' two championships. Always thought he underachieved with the talent that he brought to Chapel Hill. How many times did UNC enter the NCAA tourney a 1-seed and not even make the FF? Several, IIRC. A few times as the overall #1 seed, too.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I watched many games where Dean slapped on the four corners when UNC was up 10 or so. Family would turn the channel at that point. We didn't want to see or hear it. The ratings for UNC games must have been abysmal from that point in the game. I would think the networks carrying the games had some input into the NCAA implementing the shot clock. Hate UNC for that awfulness and their faux Carolina way and now the worst unpunished scandal in college basketball history.

Not me. Smith was bad and I could not stand him, but nobody was as bad as knight. He was the sorriest piece of shit that has ever been associated with basketball in my lifetime. I remember the indiana announcer chuck marlowe who worshiped the ground that knight walked on and every time marlowe interviewed him knight tried his best to make marlowe look like a dumb ass. Knight is just a miserable human being and indiana people still worship him. That is something that I just can't understand.
I was not alive during his and IU’s peak, but from the interviews I’ve watched, Knight comes off as a total smart ass bully. Always others down.

Reactions: Montana81
Dean played Duke one year went four corner from the get go. I think the score was 7-0 at half. TV was starting to pay big money for games there was no stoppage of the game tv couldn’t make any money. Brought about the shot clock. I hated four corner ball!!!

Reactions: Wally2000
I was not alive during his and IU’s peak, but from the interviews I’ve watched, Knight comes off as a total smart ass bully. Always others down.
The day Knight slapped Coach Hall in the back of the head, assistant coach challenged him to step outside and fight, but guess what, Knight wouldn't go. It was cool when Knight started yelling ay Scot Skiles, and Skiles turned around and got right in Knight's face. Knight always tried to act like a bad ass, but when someone stood up to him he always backed down. Knight also slapped assistant coach Ron Felling, and Felling got enough money from Indiana to retire to Arkansas. It was Felling that turned in that tape of Knight choking Neil Reid. By the way Felling was Jay Shidler's coach at Lawrenceville High School.

Last edited:
The day Knight slapped Coach Hall in the back of the head, assistant coach challenged him to step outside and fight, but guess what, Knight wouldn't go. It was cool when Knight started yelling ay Scor Skiles, and Skiles turned around and got right in Knight's face. Knight always tried to act like a bad ass, nut when someone stood up to him he always backed down. Knight also slapped assistant coach Ron Felling, and Felling got enough money from Indiana to retire to Arkansas. It was Felling that turned in that tape of Knight choking Neil Reid. By the way Felling was Jay Shidler's coach at Lawrenceville High School.
What a jackass

The day Knight slapped Coach Hall in the back of the head, assistant coach challenged him to step outside and fight, but guess what, Knight wouldn't go. It was cool when Knight started yelling ay Scot Skiles, and Skiles turned around and got right in Knight's face. Knight always tried to act like a bad ass, nut when someone stood up to him he always backed down. Knight also slapped assistant coach Ron Felling, and Felling got enough money from Indiana to retire to Arkansas. It was Felling that turned in that tape of Knight choking Neil Reid. By the way Felling was Jay Shidler's coach at Lawrenceville High School.
Lynn Nance would have given Knight the beating of his life.

Dean Smith didn't even invent the four corners offense and Charlie Scott was not the first black student-athlete in the ACC or at North Carolina but the humble Dean has no problem taking credit for stuff he had nothing to do with.

Dean liked to present himself as a man who takes a stand for social justice. He once brought up Reid and Williams SAT score being higher than Laettner and Ferry's SAT score and people acted like he had taken a brave stand but when Bobby Knight pretended to whip a black player Dean did not utter a word.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
I of course know about four corners but am too young to have witnessed it. Watching last night’s documentary and the ‘77 game against Carolina made my blood boil. What a cowardly BS way to play basketball. I can’t imagine experiencing that crap in real time.

My dad is still bitter about UC playing stall ball in ‘82 but at least they were a crap program. How can Dean Smith be considered one of the greats with THAT as his signature style?

It actually makes Coach K popularizing flopping and ruining the charge call palatable.
The only game that made me madder in my life than 2015 Wisconsin was this one. That KY team was CLEARLY the best in the country. Givens, et al, should’ve been two time champs. The refs gave Carolina the lead and then they played stall-ball all of the 2nd half. Dean Smith went after Rick Robey and called him a thug. That isn’t basketball and was one of many games with which UNC was involved that led to the shot clock. Dean Smith was a creep.

Reactions: blubo
I of course know about four corners but am too young to have witnessed it. Watching last night’s documentary and the ‘77 game against Carolina made my blood boil. What a cowardly BS way to play basketball. I can’t imagine experiencing that crap in real time.

My dad is still bitter about UC playing stall ball in ‘82 but at least they were a crap program. How can Dean Smith be considered one of the greats with THAT as his signature style?

It actually makes Coach K popularizing flopping and ruining the charge call palatable.
Nobody witnessed it. Every that saw it went into a coma. No survivors.

I was there. Our family drove from Corbin to go to that game. Fans loudly booed Digger the whole game because of his choice to go four corners. My uncle, a Catholic, went hoarse in the first half from yelling at Digger.

Decades later, every time I saw him on ESPN I remembered that game. I don't care how smart everyone in the media thought he was, he set basketball back in that game.

Tony Yates tried the same thing with Cincinnati vs UK in the 1983. Kentucky won 24-11.
I remember hall saying they won't be playing us anymore either, this is a cowardly way of trying to beat teams. Fans driving hundreds of mile to watch a game with the final score of 24 to 11. Kentucky won the game but nobody enjoyed watching that sh** even if we did win

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Knight was under an arrest warrant in Puerto Rico for hitting a security guard. Don't know if it is still in valid. I think the last straw at Indiana was when he verbally abused and/or physically threatened a secretary in the athletic department.

It was awful watching the game. UNC jumped out of 10-12 point lead and we played catch up the whole game.

We would have been back to back champs in 77 and 78 had we won that game.

That final four group the next weekend was one of the weakest in history.
In the championship game that same season against Marquette early in the second with UNC leading by I don't remember but I believe UNC had a double digit lead. Then Dean Smith went to his four corners. UNC lost it's momentum they started turning the ball over & Marquette caught them, passed them & won the national championship, or they didn't win it as much as Dean Smith simply blew the game.
Seems like I can recall another game that UNC played in the late 70's or early 80's where they went to their four corners at the start of the game and as a result I believe the halftime score was 6-4. It was an absolute nightmare to watch this garbage.

I remember hall saying they won't be playing us anymore either, this is a cowardly way of trying to beat teams. Fans driving hundreds of mile to watch a game with the final score of 24 to 11. Kentucky won the game but nobody enjoyed watching that sh** even if we did win
I was a teen, listening to that game on the radio. After that game, I wanted to never play them again.

Dean made it popular “or unpopular” but didn’t invent four corners offense. I agree it was a BS way of trying to win a game.

1. I have never liked Dean Smith, was not a fan of the four-corners, nor do I like UNC. That said,
2. Nowhere in the rules of the game does it say you have to score X-number of points or that you have to play a certain style. The only rule is that you have to score more points than your opponent to win. The fact that a lot of us don't like that style of play - it's not visually appealing - doesn't matter. Those of you who say it violates "the spirit of the game" are only applying your own beliefs on how the game should be played. No one on here complained when the UK football team was running the ball 90% of the time in 2019 with Lynn Bowden (yeah, but that was in response to not having any quarterbacks). Smith only ran the 4-corners when his team was mismatched, or to kill the clock in the final minutes. BTW, that season his team averaged 83 ppg.

Reactions: otis-gip
Dean Smith didn't even invent the four corners offense and Charlie Scott was not the first black student-athlete in the ACC or at North Carolina but the humble Dean has no problem taking credit for stuff he had nothing to do with.

Dean liked to present himself as a man who takes a stand for social justice. He once brought up Reid and Williams SAT score being higher than Laettner and Ferry's SAT score and people acted like he had taken a brave stand but when Bobby Knight pretended to whip a black player Dean did not utter a word.

My favorite Duke/SAT story came from UL. Before their match in the NCAAs, Duke players were mocking the IQs of the UL players. The old "Is that their jersey number or their IQ" joke. Pervis Ellison took it in stride and asked if any Duke player wanted to compare their SAT scores with his. None did.

Who was the first black student athlete in the ACC?

The day Knight slapped Coach Hall in the back of the head, assistant coach challenged him to step outside and fight, but guess what, Knight wouldn't go. It was cool when Knight started yelling ay Scot Skiles, and Skiles turned around and got right in Knight's face. Knight always tried to act like a bad ass, but when someone stood up to him he always backed down. Knight also slapped assistant coach Ron Felling, and Felling got enough money from Indiana to retire to Arkansas. It was Felling that turned in that tape of Knight choking Neil Reid. By the way Felling was Jay Shidler's coach at Lawrenceville High School.
How did Scott Skiles get in his face that day,he wasn't even in high school at the time.

Ugh. I almost got PTSD watching the clips of that game. I was there in the U.K. band. It was awful.

UNC didn’t actually go to the Four Corners until their hotshot PG Phil Ford fouled out in the second half. Then some putz named John Kuester came on and ran it. He made like 15 free throws in the second half. Paul Galvan was the head ref and he was the John Higgins of that era. UK had clawed all the way back with a few minutes left but Galvan sent Kuester to the line repeatedly and he made all of them.

Watching Higgins screw U.K. in 2017 brought back a lot of bad memories of that 1977 game.

At least UNC didn’t go on and win that championship. Marquette was kind of a team of destiny that year and everyone loved Al McGuire. Dean Smith had the monkey on his back until he finally won it in 1982 c
Phil Ford my favorite heel of all time. First I ever saw a 360 layup

That was the game that he called Robey at Piece of Shit and then after the game didn't even shake Joe B's hand.
no way.....UNC always did things the proper way and Dean Smith was nothing but a class act according to all of the espn gang

Yeah its an odd thing to us old timers who lived through that. Back then it was seen as revolutionary by Dean and he was the wizard who though it up. And since we hadnt experienced a shot clock it wasnt as crazy then as it seems today. A lot of teams did that at the end of games to "kill the clock", so it was more just a stretching of that concept.

But now when we look back at it it is the most infuriating and low class thing you can imagine a coach doing and cant believe he went that route to try to win.

Reactions: wcc31
There are the rules and then there is the spirit of the game. If you intentionally exploit the rules at the detriment of the spirit of the game then fck you!

I remember playing a version of Madden and the guy figured out on kick offs that if he put the fastest WR on the outside left and kicked the ball high and at a precise angle he could repeatedly catch the kick off and retain possession. The way that version worked it was almost impossible to get a player in the area to contest it based on the way the camera worked and rotated on a kick off.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. See: flopping, jumping into defenders, and headsnaps.
Well said. I lose my shit when a guard jumps into a player and gets the call 99% of the time. Same with the head snapping. Thank God I wasn't alive for that for corners crap. But I think I feel a little bit in Cals offense and his propensity for rock fights. Why Cal doesn't run and gun is beyond me. We are always good in transition and usually more athletic than most teams are.

Question. Is that why the NCAA adopted a shot clock?

Well said. I lose my shit when a guard jumps into a player and gets the call 99% of the time. Same with the head snapping. Thank God I wasn't alive for that for corners crap. But I think I feel a little bit in Cals offense and his propensity for rock fights. Why Cal doesn't run and gun is beyond me. We are always good in transition and usually more athletic than most teams are.

Question. Is that why the NCAA adopted a shot clock?
UNC and Duke played a game 7-0 at halftime. Don’t think there was any stops of the clock. TV was starting to ramp up the money. So glad the shot clock came about. Some folks say this game kinda forced the SC.

Reactions: michaeluk26
UNC and Duke played a game 7-0 at halftime. Don’t think there was any stops of the clock. TV was starting to ramp up the money. So glad the shot clock came about. Some folks say this game kinda forced the SC.
A game was seriously 7-0 at halftime? That's insane. I think that very well could be true about that game forcing the SC. Thanks for the info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT