• Daylight Savings all year

• Standard all year

• Leave it as is, with both

Results are only viewable after voting.

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
DST vs ST vs a mix.

I just don’t get the appeal of Standard Time for most. Sunrises earlier, so what unless you are a farmer, the rest of us are trying to sleep past 6am. Sun also sets earlier, meaning less time to do stuff when we are actually up and awake.
I’ve heard the school bus argument, so how is it worse to get on the bus in the dark than to get off it in the dark? And if it is too dark, maybe school is starting too early there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil_The_Music
DST makes sense to people who live on the eastern side of a time zone. Not so much on the western side. Sun wouldn't rise till 9a if we had DST in the winter. That would be great for getting off to work & school.

Reactions: Franchise
You could have one time for the entire US or world for that matter. Depending on where you live, you can start doing whatever at whatever time you like.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
We should switch to metric time

DST makes sense to people who live on the eastern side of a time zone. Not so much on the western side. Sun wouldn't rise till 9a if we had DST in the winter. That would be great for getting off to work & school.
Where I grew up in KY sundown in winter was around 4:30. Which IMO is worse than driving to work in dark.

Where I grew up in KY sundown in winter was around 4:30. Which IMO is worse than driving to work in dark.
I get it. Assume your were on Central Time. As I said, sun would come up at 9a in Eastern Time on winter daylight time.

That's why having one world time would let you get up at whatever time that suits your sun needs. If Dec. sun came up at 8a in Greenwich, UK, I could go to work in KY at 1p-2p as sun was just rising. What difference does it matter what the clock reads?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT