ADVERTISEMENT

Davion McKnight?

He didn’t look all that good to me against UL. He had at least 5-6 turnovers and was trying to dribble too much. UL has a guard who plays tough man on man defense (can’t recall his name) but McKnight was having trouble getting past him. It will be interesting to see if Wheeler can do better than McKnight against him.

Reactions: chroix
DM is too slow to be a big time pg anywhere.
Doesnt have that extra gear that allows Wheeler to playthe way he did yesterday or like he did against Duke.
DM might have played better against ND but he wouldnt make UK more of a threat to win anything.

DM would have been a good long term team member for UK as would several of those WKU players.

I think most UK fans would love to see tough good instate players from the state as the depth. State pride is a real thing. Seeing those kids wearing blue makes us feel more invested.

Justice didn’t fare much better.
Justice had a decent 2nd half. First half Defense played him very well and early on I noted that he seemed to be forcing things. He didn’t force anything against UofL but really didn’t have too. Game came to him and he excelled. I’m sure he was amped for tonight’s game at Rupp and was pressing a bit early.

McKnight is a good mid-major player. If a top tier team doesn't come prepared to defend him he will absolutely light them up. We did a great job defensively tonight.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
DM would have been a good long term team member for UK as would several of those WKU players.

I think most UK fans would love to see tough good instate players from the state as the depth. State pride is a real thing. Seeing those kids wearing blue makes us feel more invested.
Six (6) of the first eight (8) players for Arizona are foreign, as are three (3) of the first (6) for Tennessee. Talent is from everywhere now.

I am a life-long KY fan, UK graduate and a UK fellow. If an in-state kid wants to come to KY to play that is certainly fine and I hope he does well, but I couldn’t care less if we have KY players on the team, or not. I do not feel invested or any closer to a team because of where a player is from. I definitely felt
that in-state sentiment when I was a kid, but outgrew it. The only way I might feel that way now is if I knew a kid personally. That makes a difference for me and provides a connection.

Where you were born or are from is a random event, out of your control, just like race, height and hair color. I feel connected to the players that play for KY because they made a free and conscious choice to come here. To me, it’s just that simple. They are on the team I grew up rooting for and still root for !!

If we started players from Finland, Serbia, Uruguay and the Congo, along with a kid from North Dakota, and there wasn’t an in-state kid on the team, would you be okay with it? I certainly would. GO CATS !!

Last edited:
Six (6) of the first eight (8) players for Arizona are foreign, as are three (3) of the first (6) for Tennessee. Talent is from everywhere now.

I am a life-long KY fan, UK graduate and a UK fellow. If an in-state kid wants to come to KY to play that is certainly fine, but I couldn’t care less if we have KY players on the team, or not. I do not feel invested or any closer to a team because of where a player is from. I definitely felt
that in-state sentiment when I was a kid, but outgrew it. The only way I might feel that way now is if I knew a kid personally. That makes a difference for me and provide a connection.

If we started players from Finland, Serbia, Uruguay and the Congo, along with a kid from North Dakota, and there wasn’t an in-state kid on the team, would you be okay with it? I certainly would. GO CATS !!
I fell connected with John Wall, and AD, Randle, the Twins, Monk, Fox, just like I do all the great players who came before. I don’t care if they are from Kentucky or not. It’s cool, but unless the know their role. Are a starter like Junior/Senior Miller, or a possible stud like Sheppard, they can be a huge distraction like Allen.

DM is too slow to be a big time pg anywhere.
Doesnt have that extra gear that allows Wheeler to playthe way he did yesterday or like he did against Duke.
DM might have played better against ND but he wouldnt make UK more of a threat to win anything.
I do not know about straight-ahead speed, but I definitely thought DM was very quick and was certainly tough. He clearly had a bad game, but I was impressed enough with him to know he’s going to be trouble for a lot of teams. He is just a sophomore.

I am a life-long KY fan, UK graduate and a UK fellow. If an in-state kid wants to come to KY to play that is certainly fine and I hope he does well, but I couldn’t care less if we have KY players on the team, or not. I do not feel invested or any closer to a team because of where a player is from. I definitely felt
that in-state sentiment when I was a kid, but outgrew it. The only way I might feel that way now is if I knew a kid personally. That makes a difference for me and provides a connection.

Where you were born or are from is a random event, out of your control, just like race, height and hair color. I feel connected to the players that play for KY because they made a free and conscious choice to come here. To me, it’s just that simple. They are on the team I grew up rooting for and still root for !!

I remember back in the 1980's when Joe B signed a tall 7 footer from Germany and Denny Crum had a fit. He said scholarships should only be for citizens of the U.S. and what Joe B was doing was unAmerican. Times sure have changed.

Reactions: megablue
Davion McKnight is a very good fundamental basketball player. He had an off night shooting. But if watched the game, he is a quality player that could contribute to UK. The fact that he wasn’t even recruited at all by UK is something. I wonder if he went into the transfer portal if Cal would give him a shot?

With OAD no one really cares but older fans have a desire to actually know the players.

I remember back in the 1980's when Joe B signed a tall 7 footer from Germany and Denny Crum had a fit. He said scholarships should only be for citizens of the U.S. and what Joe B was doing was unAmerican. Times sure have changed.
Yes ...the cnba is now owned lot, stock and barrel by the communist Chinese.

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s really a meaningful stat, but it’s interesting to note that no Kentucky team has EVER won a national championship without at least one Kentucky player. And the player(s) has always been a major contributor.

Mcnight looked disinterested last night m or he was just overwhelmed .. had it not been for ( Peter) Frampton he would have been the worst Hilltopper

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT