ADVERTISEMENT

Darn Kanter....

He's a citizen of Turkey, part of the Muslim world. There are lots of places there where women are treated like property and children are systematically sexually abused, while girls are denied a basic education. If he's so interested in social justice there are about a billion people in the Islamic world who I'm sure would like to talk it over with him.
This is a good take...why Kanter is so pre-occupied with America....he certainly doesn't speak out against his home country does he

People who love this country care. People who fight or their parents or children fight for this country care. Lots of people care. We get that you don't care but others do.
Yes they are. Just because someone says one thing and does another doesn't mean they are doing what they are saying. If I shoot someone in the face to protest plastic surgery and say "I'm not trying to kill anyone, I just am protesting against needless surgery". Uh yeah. There is nothing they are doing that isn't against the country. Wrong venue period. Maybe they can burn the flag to protest animal cruelty next. You people will believe anything.
That is about the worst correlation I've ever heard. What did that actually mean? I choose to stand during the anthem, but I'm also not subjected to what most minorities are and I can respect these players are trying to use a very visible platform to shine a light on problems you refuse to acknowledge because it doesn't fit your narrative. It seems like a large segment of our country is perfectly happy with someone demonstrating and exercising their right to expression as long as it meets their standards. This is the best way they can reach a large audience and they are risking their ability to make a lot of money to stand up against systemic injustice. My feeling is that is exactly what countless soldiers have fought and died for: freedom, equality, and opportunity. The flag and the whole idea of the United States of America is a complete farce if women and people of color and non Christian religions continue to be oppressed in whatever form that might be.

Reactions: catman111
It blows my mind that people in this country still don't understand, or choose to ignore, the intent behind the kneeling.

it's because if they ignore the issue, it doesn't have to be addressed.

Out of sight, out of mind unfortunately.

That's what stinks about all of this btw.......the fact that so much attention is on kneeling not kneeling, that people are not even discussing WHY they are doing it in the first place.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

I'm all for NFL players kneeling. It might make it harder for some of them to batter women from that posture...

Imagine a world where you could only contemplate one concept at a time.

Shame that all of those people upset about kneeling for the anthem are okay with people getting cancer and children going hungry. Cause until those are fixed no one can be upset about anything else. It's literally impossible.

it's because if they ignore the issue, it doesn't have to be addressed.

Out of sight, out of mind unfortunately.

That's what stinks about all of this btw.......the fact that so much attention is on kneeling not kneeling, that people are not even discussing WHY they are doing it in the first place.

This is exactly right. The “kneeling” issue should actually be a private issue within the NFL. NFL bylaws state all players must stand at attention not talking etc. but that’s on the NFL to enforce or not. I think kneeling is a lot safer better way to protest than rioting in the streets.

Forced Patriotism is Facism is disguise.

Reactions: catman111
Imagine a world where you could only contemplate one concept at a time.

Shame that all of those people upset about kneeling for the anthem are okay with people getting cancer and children going hungry. Cause until those are fixed no one can be upset about anything else. It's literally impossible.
Imagine a world in which, instead of making some ostentatious display of worrying about a handful of troubling police shootings over several years in a nation of 330 million people, all of which were duly investigated under the same laws we all function with, NFL hypocrites were far more outspoken about the scores of their own number who batter women, participate in a drug culture that ravages African American communities, and generally create a public menace or nuisance out of themselves. I'd be more inclined to listen to them if that happened.

I am so tired of hearing about injustices when police, teachers and firemen are severely underpaid and these athletes, coaches and owners are severely overpaid. If there is a injustice in America it is the population that goes to work everyday so many can sit home everyday and bitch about injustice and collect entitlements.

Excellent diversion posting.

Imagine a world in which, instead of making some ostentatious display of worrying about a handful of troubling police shootings over several years in a nation of 330 million people, all of which were duly investigated under the same laws we all function with, NFL hypocrites were far more outspoken about the scores of their own number who batter women, participate in a drug culture that ravages African American communities, and generally create a public menace or nuisance out of themselves. I'd be more inclined to listen to them if that happened.

You should write a book explaining who can protest, what they can protest, and how they can protest.

It’d probably clear everything up.

No you wouldn't, you'd find another reason to discredit their protest, because no one/group is perfect. If that's the standard you require to take anyone seriously, then you'll never listen to anyone.

The two issues are unrelated, and they can both be issues separately at the same time. It's a simpleton argument to pretend otherwise.

No one says we can't raise money for cancer research because millions of people smoke. No one says we shouldn't combat childhood hunger because thousands of kids are abused each year. And those are directly related issues.

You know why? Because that's a stupid way to excuse a problem.

Well, yes, he does, to the point his own family had to publicly disown him to avoid persecution, but don't let that stop you.
There is no evidence that his family disowning him has a thing to do with human rights...it's more of a coup from one political party vs. another in the Turkish society.

"Oklahoma City Thunder forward Enes Kanter has been disowned by his parents due to his support of Pennsylvania-based cleric Fethullah Gulen -- believed to be involved in the coup -- who is currently in a feud with Turkey's president Tayyip Erdogan.

Kanter's father, Mehmet, who supports the Turkish government and Erdogan, issued a handwritten letter to the Turkish media distancing himself -- and the rest of the family -- from the NBA star."

There is no evidence that his family disowning him has a thing to do with human rights...it's more of a coup from one political party vs. another in the Turkish society.

"Oklahoma City Thunder forward Enes Kanter has been disowned by his parents due to his support of Pennsylvania-based cleric Fethullah Gulen -- believed to be involved in the coup -- who is currently in a feud with Turkey's president Tayyip Erdogan.

Kanter's father, Mehmet, who supports the Turkish government and Erdogan, issued a handwritten letter to the Turkish media distancing himself -- and the rest of the family -- from the NBA star."

Little more complex than "a different political party."

Besides, you said he didn't speak out against his own country. He did. Try to walk it back however you'd like if it makes you feel better.

You should write a book explaining who can protest, what they can protest, and how they can protest.

It’d probably clear everything up.
I don't need to write a book. Most people with any sense already understand what's going on. But let me explain to you and a couple others on this thread:
Anyone can protest. But this particular protest is the product of inflated news coverage and the manipulation of events by people with an agenda to take advantage of racial divisiveness. Most all these shootings that let to the BlackLivesMatter movement occurred at a time when America had an African American president, an African American head of the Justice Department, an African American head of the DOJ Civil Rights division, and thousands of African American police chiefs, mayors and public safety officials. That's hardly the recipe for a society that is systematically racist.

I live in the DC area. Through the years there have been dozens of cop shootings here -- almost always by black cops shooting blacks. Those shootings got almost no attention. The cops were poorly trained or angry or scared, just like the Somali cop in Minnesota who shot the white woman. The motive wasn't race, and I doubt it was in the cop shootings that were overblown to create this movement. In fact, the WASHINGTON POST did an examination of EVERY cop shooting in America last year. Guess what? By far, the most common occurrence was a person of like race shooting a person of that race. That was twenty times more likely to happen than a mixed race cop shooting. But if race has been a factor in some shootings, we have a vast, rigorous legal system to deal with it. That system doesn't work perfectly -- see the OJ Simpson trial. But we all have to abide by it. Dividing the country over a relative handful of episodes is not only stupid, it will create more problems for minorities and everyone else than it solves. But there has always been news to sell and political capital to gain by race baiting.

Reactions: exemjr
That is about the worst correlation I've ever heard. What did that actually mean? I choose to stand during the anthem, but I'm also not subjected to what most minorities are and I can respect these players are trying to use a very visible platform to shine a light on problems you refuse to acknowledge because it doesn't fit your narrative. It seems like a large segment of our country is perfectly happy with someone demonstrating and exercising their right to expression as long as it meets their standards. This is the best way they can reach a large audience and they are risking their ability to make a lot of money to stand up against systemic injustice. My feeling is that is exactly what countless soldiers have fought and died for: freedom, equality, and opportunity. The flag and the whole idea of the United States of America is a complete farce if women and people of color and non Christian religions continue to be oppressed in whatever form that might be.

its really simple. Just because feel a certain way about something, and you choose to do something about, doesn't mean you go about it in the right way.

Who'd a thunk it. Mess up and do better than I've ever done. (On this board...) Now I can understand Parkay a little bit...posts drivel and gains a populous..... I digress...

Reactions: bigbluelou
Little more complex than "a different political party."

Besides, you said he didn't speak out against his own country. He did. Try to walk it back however you'd like if it makes you feel better.
1.. Sure it is more complex...it is mainly ethnic difference in turkish populations. But make no mistake...it has no correlation to Black people in today's USA.
2. Go ahead and kneel for the anthem as well since you're so defensive about Kanter...but people have just as much space to disagree with these "protests" as those partaking in protest. So get over yourself.

Reactions: catben
It's stupid as hell to start a thread like this and then only put "NM" in the body.

If you're too damn lazy to explain the reason for your thread, then don't start it.

Heck Bubba, that's the best post I ever made. If I want your opinion, I will give it to you.

Who gives a shit? Some of you are overly sensitive.

And some are numb to love of country and maybe even Patriotism. Never lose your passion for the good this country stands for and also "stood" for...

I am so tired of hearing about injustices when police, teachers and firemen are severely underpaid and these athletes, coaches and owners are severely overpaid. If there is a injustice in America it is the population that goes to work everyday so many can sit home everyday and bitch about injustice and collect entitlements.

A market driven economy....teachers may not belong on that list. They haven't been setting the world on fire with their expertise in 30 plus years (As a whole) Some are good.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
This is a good take...why Kanter is so pre-occupied with America....he certainly doesn't speak out against his home country does he

They'll wax his ole junky arse off. that's why...a BIG difference...

People who love this country care. People who fight or their parents or children fight for this country care. Lots of people care. We get that you don't care but others do.
Dad died from a combat condition in Vietnam.. personally, I understand if taking a knee upsets people, but I'm proud as hell my dad fought and died for these players' right to protest the conditions of minorities.

They aren't protesting dad.

And some are numb to love of country and maybe even Patriotism. Never lose your passion for the good this country stands for and also "stood" for...
They arent protesting against America though. It isnt an "I hate America" protest, its a "there are still injustices in America" protest.
People taking a knee are just as much an American as you or me. You're allowed to criticize parts of your country and still love your country. Hell, the president just won by promising to "make America great again".

its really simple. Just because feel a certain way about something, and you choose to do something about, doesn't mean you go about it in the right way.

What exactly is the "right way" to protest.

Protests throughout the history of this nation, no matter how they went about it, was always unpopular. When Martin Luther King protested peacefully, even that was viewed in a negative light.

I mean I understand why people are upset about it. But there's really no way they can protest and not have it be viewed in a negative light unfortunately.

A lot of people say protest on your own time, not during work. But standing on the corner of the block they live on isn't going to change anything. The whole point of protesting is to reach as many as possible, so that things do change. And they are using their platform to do so. They aren't being effective because more are talking about kneeling and not the actual issue, but I totally understand why they choose to protest during the anthem.

I would love to know what OP is like in real life. I don't understand roughly 70% of his posts. Maybe that says more about me...

You're fine...I am about the same in person as I am online. (I don't have to remember much that way. What you read or see is what you get.) I can go off on some tangents...I confuse myself sometime.... Be Good

People taking a knee are just as much an American as you or me. You're allowed to criticize parts of your country and still love your country. Hell, the president just won by promising to "make America great again".

Don't lump us together, I don't know you well enough.(I might be better or worse off.) I never started this thread to start a war but some good things got stated. I never liked change just for the sake of changing. Some in this country now make it an art form. In reality it is them trying to stay relevant.

Don't fix it if it "ain't" broke...

What exactly is the "right way" to protest.

Protests throughout the history of this nation, no matter how they went about it, was always unpopular. When Martin Luther King protested peacefully, even that was viewed in a negative light.

I mean I understand why people are upset about it. But there's really no way they can protest and not have it be viewed in a negative light unfortunately.

A lot of people say protest on your own time, not during work. But standing on the corner of the block they live on isn't going to change anything. The whole point of protesting is to reach as many as possible, so that things do change. And they are using their platform to do so. They aren't being effective because more are talking about kneeling and not the actual issue, but I totally understand why they choose to protest during the anthem.
The right way to protest to me is protesting for or against what your topic is. Not slapping the country in the face for police brutality or unity or whatever people are up for. Unless it's to protest against America. If so these be it but be honest about it. It's just not me who would do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT