ADVERTISEMENT

Dalton Reed is in the transfer portal...

To be honest, I do not believe to be a big loss. He could blow up at another school, but he had as many strikeouts as hits this past year.....not to mention, poor fielding.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Kind of interesting timing on this announcement. The draft is Monday. So, I have to imagine that he is not getting good feedback from pro scouts and advisers regarding whether he’d be drafted. Were he getting good feedback he’d just see what happens in the next several days and if he couldn’t go pro then he’d announce the transfer.

I don't want to be mean about it, but it is hard to be upset about this. A big part of that is because I felt like Reed’s effort this year was low and several times he committed errors or gave up extra bases because of that lack of effort. Further, he had the worst batting average on our team and finished the year with the most strikeouts of any SEC player, along with finishing with the 5th lowest batting average in the league (for someone playing over 40 games). Had 185 at bats this season and struck out in 73 of them, almost 40 percent of the time. This goes up to almost 45 percent of the time in SEC with 43 of his strikeouts coming specifically in league play, where he hit .200 for the year. Unfortunately, just not a ton of positives to take away from Reed’s single season here at UK.

To be honest, I do not believe to be a big loss. He could blow up at another school, but he had as many strikeouts as hits this past year.....not to mention, poor fielding.

Actually, he had 73 strikeouts and just 41 hits. Way worse than 'just as many.'

Actually... to be fair, only Johnson, Curtis and Hill had more hits than they did strikeouts this season. Probably exhibit number one as to why we struggled.

Actually, he had 73 strikeouts and just 41 hits. Way worse than 'just as many.'

Actually... to be fair, only Johnson, Curtis and Hill had more hits than they did strikeouts this season. Probably exhibit number one as to why we struggled.

Really good take. Team has to improve on making contact. Wat to many k's for the season.

Kind of interesting timing on this announcement. The draft is Monday. So, I have to imagine that he is not getting good feedback from pro scouts and advisers regarding whether he’d be drafted. Were he getting good feedback he’d just see what happens in the next several days and if he couldn’t go pro then he’d announce the transfer.

I don't want to be mean about it, but it is hard to be upset about this. A big part of that is because I felt like Reed’s effort this year was low and several times he committed errors or gave up extra bases because of that lack of effort. Further, he had the worst batting average on our team and finished the year with the most strikeouts of any SEC player, along with finishing with the 5th lowest batting average in the league (for someone playing over 40 games). Had 185 at bats this season and struck out in 73 of them, almost 40 percent of the time. This goes up to almost 45 percent of the time in SEC with 43 of his strikeouts coming specifically in league play, where he hit .200 for the year. Unfortunately, just not a ton of positives to take away from Reed’s single season here at UK.
Like I've said before...too many kids not SEC caliber=2019

You read his bio on UK athletics and this season was nothing like what it said his strong suits were...hitting or fielding.

It may have already been reported, but Kennedy Norton, redshirt freshman pitcher's name is in the portal.

That would make sense of why he did not play this past season. He still had Kentucky Baseball on his twitter bio. Didn't he have some kind of academic issue?

I’ve always had a philosophy of this. Either you’re with us or you’re not. If people don’t want to be here, then leave. In any organization, people that don’t want to be there bring ya down. No hard feelings. Do what you want to do.

Reed had numerous instances this year where it was clear he was not giving 100 percent. You could argue that it was on purpose (I don't think it was), but one instance of this that sticks out to me was when the ball got up the first base line a bit on a ball that got past him (pickoff move possible?). Reed nonchalantly went after it. The runner, recognizing this, tried to take third. When Reed saw him trying to take third Reed finally hustled to the ball and did end up throwing him out by a nose hair. The result was good, but I think it was largely luck rather than Reed baiting him, and if the throw wasn't basically perfect the runner would have picked up an extra base because of laziness.

I don't think Reed was alone in failing to give this team 100 percent, especially after it was clear that we weren't going to be great. That needs to change in 2020. Leadership needs to come from the top and those not willing to give 100 percent need to be on the bench and/or off the team.

Reactions: law1127
Reed had numerous instances this year where it was clear he was not giving 100 percent. You could argue that it was on purpose (I don't think it was), but one instance of this that sticks out to me was when the ball got up the first base line a bit on a ball that got past him (pickoff move possible?). Reed nonchalantly went after it. The runner, recognizing this, tried to take third. When Reed saw him trying to take third Reed finally hustled to the ball and did end up throwing him out by a nose hair. The result was good, but I think it was largely luck rather than Reed baiting him, and if the throw wasn't basically perfect the runner would have picked up an extra base because of laziness.

I don't think Reed was alone in failing to give this team 100 percent, especially after it was clear that we weren't going to be great. That needs to change in 2020. Leadership needs to come from the top and those not willing to give 100 percent need to be on the bench and/or off the team.

This team showed zero leadership. From the coaching staff down to the players. It seemed like the only thing that matter was that nice new stadium. Forget the fact that we sucked it up almost every weekend. You cannot convince me otherwise.

This team showed zero leadership. From the coaching staff down to the players. It seemed like the only thing that matter was that nice new stadium. Forget the fact that we sucked it up almost every weekend. You cannot convince me otherwise.
The stadium is all NM wanted to talk about. You notice he almost never appeared on any shows to face questions about the status of his program whereas before he couldn't get enough airtime. It is quite apparent that he and his staff are going to be in tact for 2020...i just hope Mitch is doing his research and is prepared next year.

The stadium is all NM wanted to talk about. You notice he almost never appeared on any shows to face questions about the status of his program whereas before he couldn't get enough airtime. It is quite apparent that he and his staff are going to be in tact for 2020...i just hope Mitch is doing his research and is prepared next year.

It’s all anyone wanted to talk about with UK baseball. I’m still a little peeved they did nothing for Keith Madison at the new park. But that’s an another topic.

It’s all anyone wanted to talk about with UK baseball. I’m still a little peeved they did nothing for Keith Madison at the new park. But that’s an another topic.

I think the new park is nice, but I think it is going to be a pretty boring place to watch baseball. Nothing about it screams unique in terms of having fans, and it is going to be hard to attract students without a 'Cliff' type experience.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
I think the new park is nice, but I think it is going to be a pretty boring place to watch baseball. Nothing about it screams unique in terms of having fans, and it is going to be hard to attract students without a 'Cliff' type experience.

Supposedly they are changing things for the student next year......we will see.

Supposedly they are changing things for the student next year......we will see.

Hmm... all right, we will see. Would be pretty awesome to have a ton of them out around the right field wall behind the opponent's bullpen.

Hmm... all right, we will see. Would be pretty awesome to have a ton of them out around the right field wall behind the opponent's bullpen.
I guess if the beer restriction is lifted the students will have a reason to come. They are not alone...to some having beer is more importat than than winning baseball . Hopefully, they'll build a couple more restrooms so you don't have to stand in line to go for three or four innings.

Last edited:
And yes I was correct. Wait till 2020

I haven't heard anything... who else has jumped ship? So far I know it is Grant Macciocchi, Brad Dobzanski, Rook Ellington, and Cole Ayers.

I know that we probably didn't bring in the entire 2019 recruiting class thanks to our coaching changes, but I am not sure who decided not to attend.

It is good to note that in 2017 we had a top 10 recruiting class. Of the 10 best prospects in that class just 1 of them has made and impact (Kessler) and at least 8 have left the team. I believe Jordan is the only other remaining.

I haven't heard anything... who else has jumped ship? So far I know it is Grant Macciocchi, Brad Dobzanski, Rook Ellington, and Cole Ayers.

I know that we probably didn't bring in the entire 2019 recruiting class thanks to our coaching changes, but I am not sure who decided not to attend.

It is good to note that in 2017 we had a top 10 recruiting class. Of the 10 best prospects in that class just 1 of them has made and impact (Kessler) and at least 8 have left the team. I believe Jordan is the only other remaining.
Jake Thompson, Reed, and Kyle Music are the only others that I've heard.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT