ADVERTISEMENT

Daily hypothetical

Change it?

• Yes

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 49.3%

• Total voters
Ok. It's 1988, you'e got your ghost busters ghost packs and ninja turtle sewer set while watching pre-insanity espn. Breaking news.......Pat Riley accepts UK head coaching job.

In this scenario he stays until 2020. Pitino never happened. Cal never happened.

Would you risk it all and redo history if given the opportunity today? Or let it be?
I voted to redo history. Riley would have built a dynasty here and Gillespie would have never interfered with our viewing pleasures. Wonder why this never happened? Was he ever offered?

I voted to redo history. Riley would have built a dynasty here and Gillespie would have never interfered with our viewing pleasures. Wonder why this never happened? Was he ever offered?

I believe it's always been understood it's his if he wants it. I think we formally offered before the Sutton era. I was like 3, but my dad always talked about it.

Reactions: Bigjoecatfan56
BTW I’d like to see Riley as AD for a few years. BUddy of mine told me about Riley whipping some football players ass at hagan Hall. Can’t remember who the player was so someone else might chime in. I guarantee success in fb and hoops with Riley at the helm. Everything else will feed off that. Riley was drafted into the nfl too. Would love to see barney go and cut throat Kentucky boy in there

Riley invented the term swag. Riley is nothing but a champion. Riley plus UK hoops would equal greatest dynasty in college basketball history for 30+ years. Imagine cal on mega steroids for recruiting that would be Riley and I’m sorry he would have north of 6-7 titles he’s that good a coach. Pat Riley is one of the most powerful people in the history of basketball at UK well who the hell wouldn’t want to play for an nba Hall of game coach at his Alma matter?? Roy Williams is the closest and he wouldn’t be in the same stratosphere as Riley.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I chose no. But it would make the board a lot better during this time of year if you could come up with these as often as possible. I have faith that if anyone could do it, it would be you.

Had I thought about it, I would have probably cut it to 2012/13 And made it a tad more realistic. Would have added an extra twist, who would have replaced him at that time?

I just keep thinking, No, but then think if I had the options I would drop the hammer. We might never get a guy like him again, why couldn't the stars have aligned.

We would be sitting at 12, titles. Maybe more. The one and done culture would have likely never happened. I voted for him.

First of all this is an excellent downtime question. To make this decision you would have to decide if Riley would have been succssessful before and after OAD and if he could have averaged a title per decade. That is a lot to ask but .....screw it give me pat. He is too smart and too motivated to fail. He would have had a legacy rivaling rupp.

3 titles and 8 final fours is a LOT to gamble. I'm sticking with what we have.

I'ma let it ride. I hate the fact we are 3rd maybe 4th during this time span. Duke/UNC and maybe MAYBE Uconn has more titles.

Gamble? this is UK and we have the 4th most titles since 1988.

Leaned no but this changed the vote. Only way he'd be UK's coach the whole time if he was winning!
This is why I voted yes. You don't remain the coach at Kentucky for 30 years if you are not doing very well. And I mean championships well. Multiple championships. I think he could have won as many as Coach K or the UConn coach. Plus no scandals to get him fired. Yes, give me Riley.

I was in school at UK when he was there and can attest he was a very good student. You knew he was going to be successful in what ever career path he went down, and he is.

Reactions: morgousky
BTW if you polled this just 2 years ago we the fans would vote keep it 95% But we are now seeing Cal is about players first, not program and that doesn't fly to the true Kentucky fans.

I like that folks are looking at more Kentucky success than others failure

I’d prefer to see our wins but for those few who enjoy UofLs downfall more, consider this:
If Pitino didn’t come to UK first, he would most likely never have ended up at Louisville. What would be the chances of scandal erupting there as it has? Sure they’d probably still have Jurich, but honestly (and in my opinion) it took both of them to reach the level of corruption they did.
What would the domino effect be otherwise? If we had won against Duke in 1992 for example.
Also consider, Riley is a pretty beloved, respected and popular guy...would the media love have shifted to us?
Would unc *** have gotten hammered because they weren’t the golden child?

I’d probably vote yes on Riley myself...but it’s interesting to think what the farther reaching repercussions would be

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT