ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

May not interest anyone else, but I think this is cool.

For upcoming Paris Olympics, instead of the swimming segment of triathlon being in a sea or lake, they are going to have them swim in the Seine River thru the city with people cheering from the banks the whole way. Normally you just see them swim off in the distance to a buoy & back. Not much to look at.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Reds win in 10 last night over Philly. Play again tonight at 6:40pm Eastern. I will be watching.
I was considering cutting out early and driving up to Philly -- only an hour and change for me. But predictably work has started to avalanche and I'll never get away. And I see tomorrow is an afternoon game. Ah well, they'll drift through DC eventually.

I was considering cutting out early and driving up to Philly -- only an hour and change for me. But predictably work has started to avalanche and I'll never get away. And I see tomorrow is an afternoon game. Ah well, they'll drift through DC eventually.

I was at the Naval Shipyards this afternoon.... Back home now. We shall see if the trip was worth it. (The traffic and wrecks were not. Got behind two long ones.) Took me an hour and 25 minutes to drive 28 miles. (Not too bad in the grand scheme but...)

May not interest anyone else, but I think this is cool.

For upcoming Paris Olympics, instead of the swimming segment of triathlon being in a sea or lake, they are going to have them swim in the Seine River thru the city with people cheering from the banks the whole way. Normally you just see them swim off in the distance to a buoy & back. Not much to look at.
Saw where they're trying to clean up that shithole now. Long overdue.

Good morning everyone

We had to go out to MIL's old house and get in the basement. Tornado warning and looking bad as the storm was coming down the valley. BIL decided to join us even though he said he was staying at his home. He saw the same thing I was seeing outside. Just before he arrived weathermen were saying it was shifting to the south and breaking up. Looked out the window and it was clear. We were blessed......again.

Enjoy your cooler day today. I don't think anyone here will still be getting the warm weather. ?????

Edit- Austin, enjoy your warm weather. Continued prayers for you and your treatment.

Last edited:
Good thing you didn't...
Well, certainly the Reds got their ass kicked, Warrior.

But I think I would have enjoyed being there for Bryce Harper hitting three home runs, the same way I enjoyed seeing a very young Ken Griffey Jr. hit three home runs in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium years ago, or Henry Aaron's 714th on opening day at Riverfront in 1974, or Barry Bonds hitting a home run in Dodger Stadium in the early 1990s before I knew about steroids. or Cal Ripken at Camden Yards late in his streak or Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson playing the outfield together in Crosley.

When my kids were little, we'd go to lots of games in Washington, just because I wanted them to have the experience. (My son stuck with the Reds. My daughter liked the nachos.) Watching young Bryce Harper bat was like what I imagine watching young Mickey Mantle was like. Every at bat he swung like he wasn't trying to hit a home run - he was trying to drive a ball 700 feet into the Anacostia River. He's not an easy guy to root for, but he's one of those rare guys you'd pay to see bat -- at least he was in his early days.

I've been a dream walk. Just realizing ACC accepted SMU last Fall. OK, anyone know why? Seems nuts by ACC to me.
Next year the ACC will be

Boston College
California
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Of course Notre Dame is not in it in football.

That does not look like and "Atlantic Coast" Conference!

Next year the ACC will be

Boston College
California
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Of course Notre Dame is not in it in football.

That does not look like and "Atlantic Coast" Conference!
Well, OK & TX & MO are hardly in the southeast.

But I think I would have enjoyed being there for Bryce Harper hitting three home runs, the same way I enjoyed seeing a very young Ken Griffey Jr. hit three home runs in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium years ago, or Henry Aaron's 714th on opening day at Riverfront in 1974, or Barry Bonds hitting a home run in Dodger Stadium in the early 1990s before I knew about steroids. or Cal Ripken at Camden Yards late in his streak or Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson playing the outfield together in Crosley.

When my kids were little, we'd go to lots of games in Washington, just because I wanted them to have the experience. (My son stuck with the Reds. My daughter liked the nachos.) Watching young Bryce Harper bat was like what I imagine watching young Mickey Mantle was like. Every at bat he swung like he wasn't trying to hit a home run - he was trying to drive a ball 700 feet into the Anacostia River. He's not an easy guy to root for, but he's one of those rare guys you'd pay to see bat -- at least he was in his early days.
Being a Cardinal fan, I always said I'd pay to see Ozzie Smith take infield practice.

Being a Cardinal fan, I always said I'd pay to see Ozzie Smith take infield practice.
Hah. That reminds me of something my grandfather said to me many years ago Bernie. He'd gotten back from France after WW1, and went to all the World Series games in Cincinnati in 1919. As a kid I asked him about his best memory of that famous series and he said, "Watching Shoeless Joe Jackson take batting practice."

Hah. That reminds me of something my grandfather said to me many years ago Bernie. He'd gotten back from France after WW1, and went to all the World Series games in Cincinnati in 1919. As a kid I asked him about his best memory of that famous series and he said, "Watching Shoeless Joe Jackson take batting practice."
Reminds me of a story I heard. I forget who told it, but it was when McGwire was with the Cards. After watching BP, he said there was a special sound he heard when the bat connected with the ball. He had only heard it with two players, Ted Williams and Mark McGwire.

I think his 4th at bat with two on and an open 1st base would have been walk territory for me as a manager the way he was hitting yesterday. Yes, loading the bases, but also making it a force out everywhere.

Good morning D-League. Cruising into DC on a subway train, our normal allotment if two drugged or drunk bums on board. Rainy night has driven them indoors, and the trains are a good place to crash.

Busy day ahead. But not much to report yet.

I hope the rain passes for all of us and it is a nice warm April day ahead.
MdW, how's the subway system doing in DC? It's been a long time since I rode on that system.

Fortunately my StL Cardinals got out of LA with only 3 losses and not 4. Cruising against SD so far. I'm glad baseball season is back up and running.

Cards had 4-0 lead in game 4 against the Dodgers. Gave up 3 in the bottom of the 8th and lost...would have been nice to split on the road with them 2-2. Their lineup is ridiculous.

MdW, how's the subway system doing in DC? It's been a long time since I rode on that system.
Hey CatinIl,

That's not a simple question, but I'll try for a succinct answer. For the most part, it is an efficient and safe way to get all over the Metro area -- it recently expanded way out to Dulles airport and more stations have opened in recent years. While I complain about it a lot, life for someone like me living 30 miles out in the Maryland suburb from my job near Pennsylvania Avenue downtown would not work without it. And on the weekends it's a great way to visit friends in many different sections of the Metro area - from Virginia to Capitol Hill in DC and so on.

It still breaks down more often than it should. There are occasional crimes in the stations, though honestly I never feel unsafe.

On balance, it makes it far easier to raise a family around the decent schools of Montgomery COunty or Fairfax County and work a job downtown. My lifestyle - I can walk to a station and be downtown at rush hour in 35 minutes -- would not have been possible when my kids were in school without it.

Last edited:
Hey CatinIl,

That's not a simple question, but I'll try for a succinct answer. For the most part, it is an efficient and safe way to get all over the Metro area -- it recently expanded way out to Dulles airport and more stations have opened in recent years. While I complain about it a lot, life for someone like me living 30 miles out in the Maryland suburb from my job near Pennsylvania Avenue downtown would not work without it. And on the weekends it's a great way to visit friends in many different sections of the Metro area - from Virginia to Capitol Hill in DC and so on.

It still breaks down more often than it should. There are occasional crimes in teh stations, though honestly I never feel unsafe.

On balance, it makes it far easier to raise a family around the decent schools of Montgomery COunty or Fairfax County and work a job downtown. My lifestyle - I can walk to a station and be downtown at rush hour in 35 minutes -- would not have been possible when my kids were in school without it.
MdW, good deal.It sounds to me to be about the same as it did when we lived there. We lived in Frederick, MD area so it was always the Red Line to downtown when visitors came in. It's a great way for tourist to get around to a lot of the sites.

MdW, good deal.It sounds to me to be about the same as it did when we lived there. We lived in Frederick, MD area so it was always the Red Line to downtown when visitors came in. It's a great way for tourist to get around to a lot of the sites.
I have friends in Frederick and get up there fairly often. I love to start there and drive west out 340 to the South Mountain Civil War battlefields, then on out to Antietam. I like that eccentric old War Correspondents Monument at Gathland Park, having held that job for 15 years or so in my younger days. (There is a plaque there with the names of four journalists killed in Iraq and Afghanistan - Daniel Pearl, David Bloom, Michael Kelly and Elizabeth Neuffer. I worked with all of them at one time or another.)

And I like a couple of the restaurants up there - the Irish pub Bushwaller's and the sprawling old-style banquet hall Duchess' Daughter. They stayed open all through COVID when the nannies in my county shut everything down, so for a while we were driving up there as the closest place to get a steak and a beer.

Last edited:
I have friends in Frederick and get up there fairly often. I love to start there and drive west out 340 to the South Mountain Civil War battlefields, then on out to Antietam. I like that eccentric old War Correspondents Monument at Gathland Park, having held that job for 15 years or so in my younger days. (There is a plaque there with the names of four journalists likked in Iraq and Afghanistan - Daniel Pearl, David Bloom, Michael Kelly and Elizabeth Neuffer. I worked with all of them at one time or another.)

And I like a couple of the restaurants up there - the Irish pub Bushwaller's and the sprawling old-style banquet hall Duchess' Daughter. They stayed open all through COVID when the nannies in my county shut everything down, so for a while we were driving up there as the closest place to get a steak and a beer.
I always enjoyed taking a Tuesday or Wednesday off and doing a bike ride at Antietam. Especially in the fall.

A long time ago, I was prescribed a lot of sinus meds. They all said take with a full glass of water. Eventually I figured out the water by itself worked without the meds and wasn't bad for the prostate. Wish I had figured that out sooner.
I have bad sinus problems....I started using a over the counter product from Whole Foods called Quercetin W/Bromelain. I take two in the morning when I am having and attack.......it works for both myself and the Director.

I have a baseball story....kind of........I have a grandson who is getting married on May 18th. His fiance was just diagnosed with Thyroid cancer which had spread to her lymph nodes.........she had surgery and seems to be recovering........I had told my grandson that just because I was old didn't mean I couldn't attend a bachelor's party..........so we was sitting at the hospital when she had surgery and he invited me to his bachelor doins.......since his girl was such a big Reds fan his party would be everyone getting together and getting a suite for a Reds game.......it is going to cost the Director and myself $400 to cover our part. I haven't payed any attention to baseball since the Louisville Redbirds was trying to break some kind of attendance record.........The Director's interest in sports is -0............ya just got to be careful for what you ask for.........

I have a baseball story....kind of........I have a grandson who is getting married on May 18th. His fiance was just diagnosed with Thyroid cancer which had spread to her lymph nodes.........she had surgery and seems to be recovering........I had told my grandson that just because I was old didn't mean I couldn't attend a bachelor's party..........so we was sitting at the hospital when she had surgery and he invited me to his bachelor doins.......since his girl was such a big Reds fan his party would be everyone getting together and getting a suite for a Reds game.......it is going to cost the Director and myself $400 to cover our part. I haven't payed any attention to baseball since the Louisville Redbirds was trying to break some kind of attendance record.........The Director's interest in sports is -0............ya just got to be careful for what you ask for.........
Best wishes for the young lady.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 53°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may reach 87°F. Yesterday afternoon = gorgeous.

Doctor impressed with my condition. Everything "perfect". Reassuring. She also prescribed Tramadol after I complained about joint ache going up and down stairs over in Germany. Stepping down = freaking painful. We'll see if any positive effects result.

Still can't win that doggone Powerball. Bah!

Wishing y'all a fine day.

cordon.jpg

Good morning folks.

Glad to hear that good news Austin. Very encouraging.

Another long work day ahead. I assume we all know what it means to be in a funk at work where as much as we want to be inspired and energetic it all feels like going through the motions. I’ve been there for a couple days. I hope to bounce back quickly.

Cloudy and cool in the east. I can see a beautiful crescent moon in a gap in the clouds out of my subway car window. Hope you all have a great day.

Let-s-Go-Fishing.gif

Know what I am doing today?

Yes, after taking the monster for a walk here shortly, I will head out for a little fishing. Well, hopefully not little.

Mid 40's this morning with very light winds, but it is supposed to warm up early so...fishing should be good temperature wise around 9am. That is my target time to get out there.

Good news Austin. Prayers continue.

Stay safe out there folks and God Bless.

Good morning all,

At the DC VA getting my business done....they've treated me well for a long while but... Today, had my blood tests, visited with the doc....now supposed to drop a pint.... No appointment for that. The nurse that took my blood last time made the appointments... Sigh..working to get me in now .. just darn but, I am thankful...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT