ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

The job where you don't get fired for being wrong.

Yeah it amazes me how wrong the weather "predictions" in the states seem to have always been.

While in Korea from 2012 to 2015 if the weatherman stated it was going to rain at 2:15, at 2:14 be opening your umbrella... (Seemed to always be accurate. So accurate it made me notice.)

Been there. Felt like Vietnam Memorial. Dad’s future battleship was only one at Pearl not on Battleship Row Dec. 7 but in dry dock a couple miles away. Still badly damaged but soon was in the fight all over the Pacific. AZ’s sister ship.
Many years ago the traveling Viet Nam Memorial came near here. My daughter and her then boyfriend (a vet) wanted to take me to see it. I wanted no part of it, but they were trying to honor me, so I went along and acted nice about it. I guess it's to honor the dead and for the families of those who died. Personally, it makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe I am being selfish, but it's the Why Me Lord thing I've posted about before. One of the things that haunts me still is one night I was the head of a SAT team. We patrolled our sector to check on security posts and to provide quick back up in case of an emergency. The ROK marines had the sector right next to us and we got a call that something was going on and to provide back up immediately.

As we drove up, we could hear unholy almost demonic noises, primal noises. The closer we got, the louder they were. Turns out the ROK had caught a woman (likely prostitute) sneaking on base. They had taken a slap flare and set it off inside her female parts. She was literally burning to death from the inside. On a quiet night, I can still hear her. I can't call it screams, because that would be human noises.

Moon Drop grapes. In season to November.

shutterstock_1136246546.jpg

I have a cousin who owned a plane. that he kept at that airport. He took me up one day and I was able to see the tri-state area's topography for the first time.

Did anyone every know a Jack Colson? (Pretty sure that was his name.) I heard his name many times when I was younger associated with him being an exceptional pilot. (In the Middlesboro area.)

Edit: (Thought I'd search the name to see how close I was to my memory. (Just a senility test on my part.)

Read a bit to see Jack mentioned a time or two... (Under MASTIN, META KERR)

Last edited:
Big Ali fan. I appreciate those who work hard and Ali did that,especially the young Ali. My favorite quote of his is "the fight is won or lost in the gym and Out on the road long before I dance under those lights."

I had much respect for Ali, religion aside, he did what he did and owned it. He never ran. He was a kind soul and practiced his religion. I was in an insurance class with his mother in law once in Louisville. She gave me his address in Michigan and told me if I wrote him, he'd answer back. I regret, I never did...

I met Ali when I was a kid in Louisville. A family at the end of the block where we lived on Fernwood Ave. knew him personally and he came to visit them once or twice for dinner on the weekend. When he was to come, their son would let me, and some friends know he was coming. He was very nice to all of the kids who waited for him and shook our hands and greeted us and talked for a few minutes before going inside. He is my favorite fighter of all time. Not just for that but the fact that he was the greatest.

Morning Legionnaires!

Headed for mid 90's today with light winds. Did get cooler overnight as we have 58° right now. Just waiting for the days to cool enough where I can spend the whole day fishing. Better chance to catch the lunkers.

Watched the game between the Browns and the Steelers last night and it was pretty good. Chubb is the real deal running back and Brisset the back up to Deshaun Watson has a cannon for an arm. He fires bullets and looks pretty good. If I were the Browns given Watson's reputation, I would find a way to get rid of him. I know he is good but, he is suspended for 11 games for sexual misconduct with at least 24 women 23 of which he has settled out of court with. Yeah, I know 5-year $230 million dollar contract would be hard to get rid of but, there should be a clause in his contract that would make it null and void such as conduct unbecoming of the organization or something. If Brisset does well and has the Browns in the hunt, it could be a hard choice once his suspension is over. He cannot play his first game until the first week of December.

Well anyway, TGIF for those working and God Bless to all wanting or needing it.

Good Friday Morning

Football tomorrow. The weather is pleasant with mostly sunny skies. Our low last night was in the 60's and today we will get up to the mid 80's. It has been a very quiet hurricane season with high winds so far about 7 mph and gusts to 15. We still have two more months and things can change overnight. But we are ready.

I trust all have a great day.

308104391_5684481214908390_4908240556586864775_n.jpg

Good morning D-League.

Overnight fall arrived. 49 degrees right now — long sleeve weather for the first time since May.

A quick Ali story: Several years back we wanted to do an article on family caregiving - the challenges many face. I was good friends with Jon Saraceno who some of you may recall was a long-time boxing commentator on ESPN and writer for USA Today. He had good relations with the Ali family and when I asked wife Lonnie and Muhammad to be the center of the story —through Jon — they agreed.

I had an African-American female colleague whose husband was battling cancer and when she heard we were doing the story she was excited: “Ali has been my husbands greatest hero all his life and it’ll inspire him just reading about this,” she says.

So I asked Jon if he had any chance to see if Ali would scrawl an autograph for the guy.

A while later I get a package. Inside is our magazine autographed by Ali to the sick man. But there is also a sealed envelope to him.

When I gave it to woman she started crying. She said when she gave it to her husband he wept tears of joy —first true happiness he’d experienced since the cancer diagnosis.

The woman told me inside the envelope was a long letter dictated by Ali to her husband through his wife Lonnie, all about what he’d learned about facing adversity and the importance of courage and not quitting.

Thats who Ali was after the sum of his life experiences.

Good morning D-League.

Overnight fall arrived. 49 degrees right now — long sleeve weather for the first time since May.

A quick Ali story: Several years back we wanted to do an article on family caregiving - the challenges many face. I was good friends with Jon Saraceno who some of you may recall was a long-time boxing commentator on ESPN and writer for USA Today. He had good relations with the Ali family and when I asked wife Lonnie and Muhammad to be the center of the story —through Jon — they agreed.

I had an African-American female colleague whose husband was battling cancer and when she heard we were doing the story she was excited: “Ali has been my husbands greatest hero all his life and it’ll inspire him just reading about this,” she says.

So I asked Jon if he had any chance to see if Ali would scrawl an autograph for the guy.

A while later I get a package. Inside is our magazine autographed by Ali to the sick man. But there is also a sealed envelope to him.

When I gave it to woman she started crying. She said when she gave it to her husband he wept tears of joy —first true happiness he’d experienced since the cancer diagnosis.

The woman told me inside the envelope was a long letter dictated by Ali to her husband through his wife Lonnie, all about what he’d learned about facing adversity and the importance of courage and not quitting.

Thats who Ali was after the sum of his life experiences.
Haven't heard this one, but have heard stories of his kindness. BTW I read a story about why he put on the act he did. When he was young, he went to a wrestling event that featured Gorgeous George in the main event. GG was a "villain", but they still came to see him. The arena was packed. Butts in the seats is what Ali took from it. Do what it takes to get butts in the seats.

Haven't heard this one, but have heard stories of his kindness. BTW I read a story about why he put on the act he did. When he was young, he went to a wrestling event that featured Gorgeous George in the main event. GG was a "villain", but they still came to see him. The arena was packed. Butts in the seats is what Ali took from it. Do what it takes to get butts in the seats.
He changed so many things with his talent and his persona. A true American original.

For those who might be interested, here's the story I commissioned Jon to write, and a short video interview with Lonnie.

It's not a light read -- it's about the challenges of dealing with caring for a person with Parkinson's. But it captures what he and Lonnie were dealing with later in his life, and I thought we treated him and the situation with dignity. By the way, if you care enough to open this, scan down the the black and white photo of Ali kidding around with his wife Lonnie in Louisiville when she was just a young girl. Amazing they met again later and became life partners.

I have a poster-sized copy of that cover photo of very frail Muhammed and his wife on my home office wall.

Good morning D-League. It's currently a cool 47° and sunny here in Eastern Kentucky. The afternoon forecast will bring mostly sunny skies and a high of 69°.

Weather like this puts you in the mood for some chili or homemade vegetable soup.

Everyone stay safe on this Friday.

p040c5c4.jpg

Morning D-league. I followed my great uncle's (great aunt's husband) family line and found out I have 20 confederates on that side of the family (From MS, GA, TN, and MO) and 3-4 unionists (mostly from MO and eastern TN) Of note is Henry ''Tobe'' McPherson of Lee county, MS. He served in the 2nd Mississippi infantry regiment. In the army of northern Virginia commanded by the notorious Robert E. Lee

He was on the roll of honor for his actions at Gettysburg on the railroad cut and died in 1864 at the battle of the wilderness. He was 22.

201491421_c469d899-e6e6-405b-9cde-2c79efe7c07e.jpeg

201491421_acd4b5d8-1258-48bf-a80a-f9898d763998.jpeg

cnVuX29yaWcuanBn

It's crazy what you can find once you start digging into extended family trees.
Thanks for sharing. I love these type of stories. I discovered the same thing when I started digging. From an entry in the family Bible (served in the War) to my grandpa(born in 1883) telling me as a little boy "we sided with the South" I found out acts of sacrifice, bravery and dedication that are foreign in today's world. Those were hard times but families were strong.

It's crazy what you can find once you start digging into extended family trees.
You best start worrying when you run into my family names. Then you know you are in deep trouble.

Martin's, Elmore's, Lee's, Cook's, Webb's, Self's, Stallsworth's, Blair's, Howard's, Edwards' et.al. you know you are in trouble. If you run into a Higginbotham, just stop! Maybe consider running for the border!

Oh I left out the Rich's. If you find a Rich in your background that means that you may have family with @_Rooster and me. You may want to consider something even worse! o_O

Last edited:
You best start worrying when you run into my family names. Then you know you are in deep trouble.

Martin's, Elmore's, Lee's, Cook's, Webb's, Self's, Stallsworth's, Blair's, Howard's, Edwards' et.al. you know you are in trouble. If you run into a Higginbotham, just stop! Maybe consider running for the border!

Oh I left out the Rich's. If you find a Rich in your background that means that you may have family with @_Rooster and me. You may want to consider something even worse! o_O
Rumors are not facts . . . yet. Perhaps a family of dirty-rotton priest hunters. We'd know a lot more if they hadn't used the cemetary stones to build the moonshine still. Linky1 Linky2

Last edited:
He changed so many things with his talent and his persona. A true American original.

For those who might be interested, here's the story I commissioned Jon to write, and a short video interview with Lonnie.

It's not a light read -- it's about the challenges of dealing with caring for a person with Parkinson's. But it captures what he and Lonnie were dealing with later in his life, and I thought we treated him and the situation with dignity. By the way, if you care enough to open this, scan down the the black and white photo of Ali kidding around with his wife Lonnie in Louisiville when she was just a young girl. Amazing they met again later and became life partners.

I have a poster-sized copy of that cover photo of very frail Muhammed and his wife on my home office wall.

A good read. Thanks for posting.

BTW I recall another Ali story. If my memory serves, it was in the Frazier fight where Frazier's people threw in the towel. It was in the late rounds and Ali began to taunt him with these words: "You're getting tired and you are in the worst place in the world to be tired."

Last edited:
Something just hit me as I responded to a tweet. My words:

"As a kid, I asked my mom why grandma put so little butter or peanut butter on our bread. Mom said, "it's because she lived through the Great Depression. You never knew when more might come. You always saved".

Yeah, they had it tough. Grandma and mom visited me in Germany back in 1984. As I described hardships Germans endured during WW2, Grandma got really upset while we were there.

"Your grandfather worked so much overtime during WW2 on the railroad supporting the war against the Germans and Japanese. I rarely saw him. Don't talk to me about sacrifices."

ADVERTISEMENT