ADVERTISEMENT

Cults

Alias44

Sophomore
Mar 23, 2007
Anyone know anyone who has been in a religious cult? I have a distant cousin who is in one that appears to be sort of a doomsday cult. There are exit support groups on it. It appears to be mostly a money grab on the part of the cult leaders. They are required to tithe up to 30% of gross income per year. The exit support group says if they've been in it more than a year or two, good luck trying to reason with them. This person seems happy, so I've decided to just let it go. She seems to be very much under the control of the "church" on all of her decision making.

Reactions: J_Dee
They focus primarily on end times, to the point that it affects their lives. They think there is no reason to save for their own retirement, because the world will end before then. That may be a little bit of an exaggeration, as far as my cousin, but she is headed that way. Their "prophets" have made several false predictions through the years, but it doesn't seem to matter. They do not consider any information that contradicts their leaders' interpretation of the Bible. Critical thinking skills are gone. Those are the types of things I see. It's very controlling.

Watch Wild, Wild Country on Netflix. It’s about this cult in the 80s in Oregon that took over a town and created their own police force and poisoned the town over.

Anyway, the film shows that cults disproportionately consists of people from middle- upper-middle-class households. Women are more likely to join as well.

I can assure you though that after speaking to Dion and sambowie on this forum, there’s no logic or reasoning that can be done to erase it.

the office television GIF

I've personally witnessed half a country join a cult from 2020 -2024 and membership is still pretty high today.

To be fair, both Republicans and Democrats are cultists. We're indoctrinated from birth to believe that our silly divisive system is not only normal, but righteous, and very few ever educate themselves out of the fishbowl that they're trapped in.

They focus primarily on end times, to the point that it affects their lives. They think there is no reason to save for their own retirement, because the world will end before then. That may be a little bit of an exaggeration, as far as my cousin, but she is headed that way. Their "prophets" have made several false predictions through the years, but it doesn't seem to matter. They do not consider any information that contradicts their leaders' interpretation of the Bible. Critical thinking skills are gone. Those are the types of things I see. It's very controlling.

Thanks for the explanation.

Anyone know anyone who has been in a religious cult? I have a distant cousin who is in one that appears to be sort of a doomsday cult. There are exit support groups on it. It appears to be mostly a money grab on the part of the cult leaders. They are required to tithe up to 30% of gross income per year. The exit support group says if they've been in it more than a year or two, good luck trying to reason with them. This person seems happy, so I've decided to just let it go. She seems to be very much under the control of the "church" on all of her decision making.

My former in-laws are Catholic.

We have people in this country who believe the United States Government has a weather machine to create hurricanes to direct them at people to prevent them from voting for their preferred candidate.

These aren’t people wearing robes and cutting off their own balls to hop on a comet to see some sort of Alien God. These are people who go to work, go to Church, go to their kids soccer practices. People you’d have a beer with after work and buy Girl Scout cookies from in the office.

These aren’t people wearing robes and cutting off their own balls to hop on a comet to see some sort of Alien God. These are people who go to work, go to Church...

You actually have difficulty believing that people whose lives revolve around stuff like creationism, Noah's Ark, and other fairy tale nonsense wouldn't have any trouble buying into silly conspiracies about weather machines?

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
To be fair, both Republicans and Democrats are cultists. We're indoctrinated from birth to believe that our silly divisive system is not only normal, but righteous, and very few ever educate themselves out of the fishbowl that they're trapped in.

In a way sure. I think that's more tribalism and human nature. We tend to pick sides. I'm speaking more to the Jim Jones type cult where the leader provides the solution and the followers are gaslighted, manipulated, threatened, intimidated, or coerced into taking it - even if that means they die.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT