ADVERTISEMENT

CRod- How bad is this???

Stoops has 10 yr history on this kind of stuff, with players & staff. If asked (may not talk to media till SEC media days?), he will say "we are aware of an incident, we are doing research on the facts, we will let legal system play out." Likely this will be plead down if he has no other driving offenses. Unworthy of more than game 1 suspension, if that. CRod will do stuff off camera as punishment for letting down teammates & the program. And, end if story.

Reactionary types in the media, particularly those in Louisville, will scream bloody murder that an instantaneous severe punishment was not announced days after the arrest.

Hell, plenty on this board are worst than them. How many of you screamed on here about Boatnight last offseason?

BLAHRG WHY ISNT HE FIRED WHY WON'T STOOPS TAKE A BIG STAND THIS IS SO BAD FOR OUR PROGRAM ID RUN IT DO MUCH BETTER!!!!

truth was Stoops quietly demoted him, didn't need to hold a press conference to announce it, and it was done.

One thing kids need to keep in mind, other than the obvious, is stuff like this can severely impact their nil earning potential

I don't know if UK has a school policy on this or not, if they do its out of CMS's hands. UK is pretty strict so maybe.

But like you said no excuse for it, just happened to be a UK player this time, can just as easily be a UGA player next time. But it sucks when it looks like campus police high 5 each other when they get to arrest an athlete.
Back in the 1996/1997 time frame, there was a tragedy during an open date weekend when a UK FB player got in a wreck while driving drunk. Two of his passengers died (Artie Steinmetz ??; the other was one of Tim Couch's best friends).

I believe this was right before CM Newton retired. Anyway, at that time, I seem to remember the UK Athletic Department came out with a new policy that a student-athlete would be suspended for an entire YEAR from playing at UK. Shortly after that, IIRC, UK BB player Desmond Allison got a DUI and it effectively ended his UK career.

Apparently somewhere along the way UK has moderated that policy.

C Rod obviously has to be held accountable for his actions. I would hate to see him suspended for the Florida game but if that's the punishment that's handed down, then so be it.

Reactions: vhcat70
Back in the 1996/1997 time frame, there was a tragedy during an open date weekend when a UK FB player got in a wreck while driving drunk. Two of his passengers died (Artie Steinmetz ??; the other was one of Tim Couch's best friends).

I believe this was right before CM Newton retired. Anyway, at that time, I seem to remember the UK Athletic Department came out with a new policy that a student-athlete would be suspended for an entire YEAR from playing at UK. Shortly after that, IIRC, UK BB player Desmond Allison got a DUI and it effectively ended his UK career.

Apparently somewhere along the way UK has moderated that policy.

C Rod obviously has to be held accountable for his actions. I would hate to see him suspended for the Florida game but if that's the punishment that's handed down, then so be it.
when Allison got caught UK had a zero policy
if you got caught you were off the team
they changed that a few years after Allison

Reactions: ukalum1988
Y'all are talking suspension, but CRod is already going to be delt severe consequences from this:

1)NIL - this kind of thing ruins your personal brand. And that ruins your drawing power to companies looking to spend on UK football players.

Plus, strong chance he would have gone to SEC media days. That's national exposure. Not anymore.

2NFL future - he came back to try and raise pro prospects. Now instead of a fumbling problem, he has risky off the field issues. Yeah NFL will overlook some trouble- if you are a stud. Running backs? A dime a dozen.
Isn’t this episode with a vehicle his second offense in the last two years?

when Allison got caught UK had a zero policy
if you got caught you were off the team
they changed that a few years after Allison
Allison came back to Lex with his new team. My 80 year old mother saw him and said DESMOND DESMOND we miss you and gave him a hug. His new teammates cracked up. They just don’t know how much UK players are loved in Lex. Just thought it was funny. He was super nice and had a good time. RIP DESMOND!!

Kid made a mistake and got caught. Many of us on this board did stupid shit like driving drunk at 21. Lucky for most of us we never got caught. I won’t cast stones, hope he learns from this and never does it again. I don’t want it to ruin his career or our season. Suspend him game 1 to pretend to show a commitment to discipline and move on. He will pay enough in legal fees, jail, his permanent record, etc.

Reactions: jauk11
I’ve never driven drunk and I’m 42 and I was their age at one point and time it’s called being responsible! You have to make an example out him he doesn’t need the death penalty but he does no longer need to be on the team!
Good lord man. He’s 21…give me a break. I certainly don’t think it’s okay to drive drunk…I did it as an idiot in my 20s but never would now. Thank god Im lucky enough to never get caught.

They “have to make an example out of him”…why? He’s already going to pay for it via the law and in questions in his career (whether pro football or after football). He plays college football, he’s not a bar licensed attorney. Stop with this holier than thou shit…most of us roll our eyes at you.

Good lord man. He’s 21…give me a break. I certainly don’t think it’s okay to drive drunk…I did it as an idiot in my 20s but never would now. Thank god Im lucky enough to never get caught.

They “have to make an example out of him”…why? He’s already going to pay for it via the law and in questions in his career (whether pro football or after football). He plays college football, he’s not a bar licensed attorney. Stop with this holier than thou shit…most of us roll our eyes at you.

I don't think anyone should be an example out of, but I also don't believe requiring an athlete to run stadium steps as punishment either. First of all they are in top condition so it really isn't punishment and I just think its wrong to use exercise as a punishment. Now taking out the trash, cleaning the locker room, that's a different story, even doing team laundry for a given amount of time.

Allison came back to Lex with his new team. My 80 year old mother saw him and said DESMOND DESMOND we miss you and gave him a hug. His new teammates cracked up. They just don’t know how much UK players are loved in Lex. Just thought it was funny. He was super nice and had a good time. RIP DESMOND!!
Desmond died?

I don't think anyone should be an example out of, but I also don't believe requiring an athlete to run stadium steps as punishment either. First of all they are in top condition so it really isn't punishment and I just think its wrong to use exercise as a punishment. Now taking out the trash, cleaning the locker room, that's a different story, even doing team laundry for a given amount of time.
I don’t disagree with you. My post was in response to the poster who said he needed to be made an example out of and kicked off the team.

I don’t disagree with you. My post was in response to the poster who said he needed to be made an example out of and kicked off the team.

Nothing short of a serious crime deserves being kicked off a team. As for as I know Crod is a pretty good kid that made a mistake and was lucky enough no one got hurt.

First of all they are in top condition so it really isn't punishment
LOL. Clearly you have not experienced it. I have, just at a HS player. It leaves an impression.... and this was just after practice. Didn't have to show up at 5 am, for weeks.

Disclaimer..... what he did was seriously wrong and deserves punishment. The debate is the level of punishment.
Desmond died?
Yes. Was shot. Murdered. IIRC, at an apartment complex, talking to a girl and then... a senseless muder. I think he was 25 or 26?

• Sad
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
LOL. Clearly you have not experienced it. I have, just at a HS player. It leaves an impression.... and this was just after practice. Didn't have to show up at 5 am, for weeks.

Disclaimer..... what he did was seriously wrong and deserves punishment. The debate is the level of punishment.

Yes. Was shot. Murdered. IIRC, at an apartment complex, talking to a girl and then... a senseless muder. I think he was 25 or 26?

While it's been nearly 50 years since I played, I could run all day, I didn't mind it at all. In 30 plus years of coaching running worked for some, some were like me and didn't mind it. But not one enjoyed picking up dirty practice clothes, bagging them, washing them and putting them back in lockers, not one enjoyed cleaning toilets.

While it's been nearly 50 years since I played, I could run all day, I didn't mind it at all. In 30 plus years of coaching running worked for some, some were like me and didn't mind it. But not one enjoyed picking up dirty practice clothes, bagging them, washing them and putting them back in lockers, not one enjoyed cleaning toilets.
Totally agree. Obviously, some on here never had latrine duty in the Army.
Talk about punishment.

Totally agree. Obviously, some on here never had latrine duty in the Army.
Talk about punishment.

People just don't realize athletes don't mind running. If they did they would be in the band. But I never knew one who like cleaning up for the team. And I am not jumping on Crod, I respect his abilities, but he got lucky with this and needs to learn, just like a walk-on would.

Reactions: cathouse
Truth. I hated running suicides and up downs, but I'd much rather do that and get it over with than clean dirty uniforms or scrub in the locker room.

He absolutely will. Just don't know if Stoops might add consequences so that the team sees them more closely. Whether it's game suspensions, wind sprints, stairs, or something else, would be something for others to see and potentially feel. I think Stoops will make the right call for the team and CRod.

That said, it's really weird that someone would take a chance that could hurt their prospects or the team after the Vito et al., BS last year.
Don't you know young people are invincible/

This isn't something that most people that drink haven't done, often with much worse consequences/. DUI is a huge moneymaker for ihe courts and the lawyers. With the money he should be making (if this doesn't cost him a lot of that)he should take a taxi or have a chauffeur if it is that serious. And didn't the frat fiasco get delayed for most of the summer and season?

It would be interesting to know what the careless driving involved.

I’ve never driven drunk and I’m 42 and I was their age at one point and time it’s called being responsible! You have to make an example out him he doesn’t need the death penalty but he does no longer need to be on the team!
Well, look at you.

I never had a drink of any kind of alcohol until I was through the Army and graduated from UK. well look at me, lol. The prison are already full of actual criminals that are costing us a fortune., the logical solution would be to shoot all of them, tha'tll learn'em durn'em. And no, I never got a DUI.

Last edited:
.08 is like one freaking Beer I’m sorry but the legal drinking limit needs to be increased. I’d rather ride with somebody who drink a beer over somebody who texts and drives alot

Didn't Jules Camara have to sit a year because of a DUI?
UK had changed it's policy when Jules got caught
if memory serves me correctly he did not sit out the season but did get suspended for some games

i will add that when Allison got thrown off the team there was a huge outcry from fans over the punishment being to severe

.08 is like one freaking Beer I’m sorry but the legal drinking limit needs to be increased. I’d rather ride with somebody who drink a beer over somebody who texts and drives alot
very few people will blow over .08 if they have two beers in an hour

Who said you have to choose? How about neither drinking and driving nor texting and driving are okay. Texting and driving is illegal, too. The “legal” drinking limit as it concerns DUI will never be increased. As a matter of fact it’s been decreased, it used to be .10. They’re not going to go the other direction on it now.

The legal limit should be zero. There is no good reason for anyone to drink when they know they'll be driving. It's always been easy to make accommodations prior to drink. These days its even easier. I will say that texting and driving is even worse and harder to control. But I believe that's illegal as well.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Just heard that WLEX is reporting he missed a court appearance today and a bench warrant was issued? If so, why couldn't his attorney appeared for him? His charges were just misdemeanors

• Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Has to be some sort of confusion on when to appear , etc. An attorney can handle this stuff , plus , it’s a misdemeanor and there’s no reason whatsoever not to appear

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT