ADVERTISEMENT

Courier-Journal Says Firing Pitino Might be Louisville's Choice

I thought Joseph Gerth would be swimming with the fishes after his last article calling UofL Athletics a mafia. Props for having some stones!!

Pitino: "Some of the instances were between 10pm-8am. I'm 64 years old. I can't stay up that late." (What a crock! It's called a curfew.)

Oh and when Pitino mentioned Jim Valvano after he got sick: "I asked Jim how he was feeling... He said the NCAA Investigation (at NC State) broke down his immune system." :mad::mad::mad::mad: Sorry, but wtf?!?
Him bringing up Jim Valvano name shouldn't surprise anyone. After all, how many times has he brought up the name Billy Minardi in an attempt to garner sympathy. That's the kind of rotten, self-centered excuse for a human being that he is.

Good point. I think if they would've fired him a year ago they would still have the banner. After reading the report, I feel like the fact they still have the guy at root of the problem as their coach is one of the biggest reasons they got hammered so bad. Had they fired him and disconnected themselves from the scandal, I'd bet the penalties would be significantly less. They were defiantly arrogant in their remark and how they treated the issue. Now, they're paying for those mistakes.
I think if that were the case they would have given pitino more than a paltry five game acc suspension.

I think if that were the case they would have given pitino more than a paltry five game acc suspension.

Maybe. However they may be like the rest of us and realize that Pitino is a compulsive liar and felt that he was aware of the whole deal the whole time. Without his admitting that though they decided to burn UL's banners and punish him lightly. Brilliant if so.

Reactions: Bluest Member
Maybe. However they may be like the rest of us and realize that Pitino is a compulsive liar and felt that he was aware of the whole deal the whole time. Without his admitting that though they decided to burn UL's banners and punish him lightly. Brilliant if so.
Taking a NC a FF and 100 and some wins off of Pitino's record will hurt him a lot more than game suspensions ever would.

It's a a sad demise of a guy who saved our program. I have a feeling that Rick is mentally ill.
He may have been when he was coaching here, but that was long before social media and the 24 hour exposure, so it was easier to hide problems.

At any rate, Louisville will not recover from this anytime soon, and that's a shame.[roll]

Reactions: crpoore
If I were in charge of Louisville and cared about the University and the student-athletes, I'd do the following;

- Make a public apology about the instances that occurred at UL.
- Forfeit all the games and return the banners.
- Fire the AD, the HC, and the compliance officer.
- Make a public search, FIRST, for a nationally respected compliance officer and have them work diligently in the process of the new hires replacing the AD and HC.

I would put all the emphasis on repairing a tarnished and tainted image/brand and work up from there to success in sports. I'd work fast to get all this behind us by owning up to it, fixing it, and hopefully earning the respect from recruits, parents, and the fans.. to get back to winning, but this time with integrity as the foundation.

This

Why? What do you think hurts him the most? You really think Rick cares about a suspension? A suspension means nothing to him or anyone else in Louisville. It's all about that banner. They would trade a 2 year suspension on Rick if they got to keep the banner. Taking the banner down hurts UL much more than ANYTHING else and big a wide margin too.

Why? What do you think hurts him the most? You really think Rick cares about a suspension? A suspension means nothing to him or anyone else in Louisville. It's all about that banner. They would trade a 2 year suspension on Rick if they got to keep the banner. Taking the banner down hurts UL much more than ANYTHING else and big a wide margin too.

Agreed.

Rick is a sorry piece of shit and a miserable human being. Anytime he has to face the media and might face criticism, he brings up a deceased person (Ted Kennedy, his brother-in-law, Jimmy V.) in hopes the media will back off him.

He knows no limits and really thinks he's bigger than the NCAA too.

19113715_10212228143531569_448289144333218094_n.jpg

If I were in charge of Louisville and cared about the University and the student-athletes, I'd do the following;

- Make a public apology about the instances that occurred at UL.
- Forfeit all the games and return the banners.
- Fire the AD, the HC, and the compliance officer.
- Make a public search, FIRST, for a nationally respected compliance officer and have them work diligently in the process of the new hires replacing the AD and HC.

I would put all the emphasis on repairing a tarnished and tainted image/brand and work up from there to success in sports. I'd work fast to get all this behind us by owning up to it, fixing it, and hopefully earning the respect from recruits, parents, and the fans.. to get back to winning, but this time with integrity as the foundation.
That would be a smart and logical response. I would have some respect for Louisville, if they actually did this.

Reactions: wromanp7
You wouldnt. There will be no champion for '13. This is why most people always believed the ncaa will never take a basketball title. And im sure louisville believed once they won the title, that settled it. Like in 2008 with kansas and memphis, most believed whoever won that title would be let go while the loser got penalties. And true to form thats what happened.

I think this is louisvilles defense in a nut shell. After all the years and all the scandals, they are the only ones to lose a title. Penatly too harsh in their minds.

Well louisville, you sold f'n prostitutes to kids and parents AND players. Even if its not the worst scandal, its the sickest thats been PROVEN. you lose.

Great point about the Memphis and Kansas title game. I'm not sure it was known publically during the tournament, although I'm sure some people in the know knew something was going to happen with both schools.

But people completely forget about the Arthur's situation at Kansas that year. He had a very similar academic situation in high school where his grades were changed. The state even vacated a state title for the team Arthur played for. He was ruled ineligible at Kansas but somehow KU kept their banner and Memphis lost their banner. Doesn't make much sense. The inconsistencies on the NCAA is well known and documented.

I firmly believe that had UL cut ties with Pitino and apologized sincerely and wholeheartedly (meaning over and over again) that they would not be looking at that banner coming down. I think the NCAA would've been much more lenient and accepted a lot of their self imposed penalties and moved on. However, the fact they kept Pitino and have kept this arrogant tone and arrogant responses going to over a year in what has hurt them the most. The fact that they keep trying to diminish the severity of the actions themselves by continuing to talk about this $5400 deal is absurd. Their argument that the sanctions shouldn't be severe because only $5400 was spent is ludicrous!!! Oh ok UL, since they were cheap hookers, everything is all good, right? Buhahhaahaa! The sad part is that this is their legit argument. LMAO!

I've never seen a more pathetic situation and a more pathetic response to a horrible crime.

THEY GOT PROSTITUTES FOR 16 and 17 yr old KIDS!!! That's disgusting! THEN, when one of them refused the girl, McGee went back and talked that recruit into having sex with her. That's beyond disgusting!! Completely disgusting!!!

Even though the NCAA threw the book at them, they deserved every bit of it with the horrendous actions themselves and the way they have handled the scandal since word broke of it over a year ago. They could've easily spared themselves losing the banner if the just would've accepted full responsibility, cut ties with Pitino and cleaned house to separate themselves from the scandal, and not been so arrogant and defiant in their responses. That's just my opinion.

It's a a sad demise of a guy who saved our program. I have a feeling that Rick is mentally ill.
He may have been when he was coaching here, but that was long before social media and the 24 hour exposure, so it was easier to hide problems.

At any rate, Louisville will not recover from this anytime soon, and that's a shame.[roll]
Syphilis will cause that

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
...........I don't know. You guys may be right since that would show U of L going to drastic measures. But the bottom line is they still played with ineligible players. Don't really know how you get around that.

Nobody said they would get around it but the penalties didn't have to be as harsh if they had cleaned house and accepted more responsibility. It's the same way in just about every court in America. The judge is going to be more lenient if the defendant was cooperative with law enforcement during the investigation, or if the defendant is taking FULL responsibility for the FULL extent of their actions. They take that kind of stuff into consideration when handing our sentences. I feel it would have helped them in their penalties had they cleaned house and shown that they had accepted FULL responsibility and we're really trying to make thing better. Instead, they saw the exact opposite with UL and they were overly arrogant and defiant during the investigation. The NCAA was HIGHLY pissed that the security footage just seem to vanish into thin air.

Nobody said that they wouldn't have gotten punished at all because I'm sure they would've but I'm not sure the banner would've come down had they taken more drastic steps to show responsibility and more steps to show they were serious about cleaning house and moving forward. It's just my opinion but it's pretty logical.

Nobody said they would get around it but the penalties didn't have to be as harsh if they had cleaned house and accepted more responsibility. It's the same way in just about every court in America. The judge is going to be more lenient if the defendant was cooperative with law enforcement during the investigation, or if the defendant is taking FULL responsibility for the FULL extent of their actions. They take that kind of stuff into consideration when handing our sentences. I feel it would have helped them in their penalties had they cleaned house and shown that they had accepted FULL responsibility and we're really trying to make thing better. Instead, they saw the exact opposite with UL and they were overly arrogant and defiant during the investigation. The NCAA was HIGHLY pissed that the security footage just seem to vanish into thin air.

Nobody said that they wouldn't have gotten punished at all because I'm sure they would've but I'm not sure the banner would've come down had they taken more drastic steps to show responsibility and more steps to show they were serious about cleaning house and moving forward. It's just my opinion but it's pretty logical.

Oh I think you're 100% correct. Everyone, and by everyone I mean EVERYONE except Uofl fans/staff, Bilas and Vitale, can see this.

It's honestly beyond words their attitude towards all of this. It's like they all have syphillas on the brain.

And I have no doubt Pitino is mentally ill. He really needs help.

Reactions: Cindog28
What a smug little prick 3stax is, after all they have been found guilty of, he whines and fears his immune system may suffer harm, because he's given a 5 game suspension.

His arrogance is absolutely boundless.
I believe SEXtino will just announce his retirement and slink out of town no notice I was with Rick Bozich at a recent sports event and he said Pitino told him he will not be made the scapegoat over this.See ya later Ricky :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Reactions: Cindog28

Guess I didn't really clarify what I was talking about. I didn't think it was being implied that they would totally get around it with zero repercussions. No, I was specifically talking about the championship being vacated and the banner coming down. You very well might be right, but in my book, players were either ineligible to play in that championship game or they were not. I can justify being more lenient on some of the probation time, scholarships, and so on if U of L had handled it differently. But in my book, it would be ridiculous to let them keep the championship just because they were cooperative.

Who knows though? As I said, you may be correct. With the NCAA, you never can tell.

Guess I didn't really clarify what I was talking about. I didn't think it was being implied that they would totally get around it with zero repercussions. No, I was specifically talking about the championship being vacated and the banner coming down. You very well might be right, but in my book, players were either ineligible to play in that championship game or they were not. I can justify being more lenient on some of the probation time, scholarships, and so on if U of L had handled it differently. But in my book, it would be ridiculous to let them keep the championship just because they were cooperative.

Who knows though? As I said, you may be correct. With the NCAA, you never can tell.

I see your point and it's very valid. The thing with the NCAA is that they're not governed by anyone and can set any set of standards they see fit with penalties. Their inconsistencies have been well documented. They could've easily left off the vacation of games in the penalties handed out. They could've said that the players received benefits in the amount of $5400 and only vacated what would've been a suspension for the players in that amount. We see players all the time suspended for receiving improper benefits and suspended for 10 games or so. Hell, Wall was suspended for a few games before he could play. Selby was suspended for Kansas. Darrell Arthur was ruled ineligible at KU but they never took their banner down, although they took Memphis's runner up banner the exact same year. So, they didn't have to vacate 4 years of wins is my point. They could've easily gotten around punishing them without taking down the banner. But I believe the fact that Pitino is still there and the way they handle the situation really backfired on them in the penalty phase of this investigation. Had they cleaned house and begged for forgiveness, I truly believe that banner would be staying where it's at. Their arrogance and their lack of cooperation with the NCAA really hurt them when it came to the penalties. The NCAA was highly upset that the surveillance video just happen to "disappear" and was nowhere to be found. Stuff like that I why I believe they got hammered so bad. Their own arrogance was their major downfall. IMO.

In the real world that you and I live in, you would think that an ineligible player means just that and any game in which that player play should be vacated but unfortunately, that's not how the NCAA always sees things. A player can be ruled ineligible for 10 games, serve a suspension, and move on. The NCAA could've easily lessened the penalties if they chose to. They were NEVER forced to vacate any of those wins. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: mapcatfan
If the NCAA wilts on the appeal or makes a deal then they just became the next Ho's UofL has had down Belknap way....

Cooperation matters but its not going to get you off clean slate. Anyone who was raised right can understand tbis using simple reasoning.

Kid throws rock knowing he's not supposed to and hits neighbors car. Kid has two options.

1. Come clean yourself, making your punishment lighter because of honesty.

2. Kid lies, hides the truth, and risks more punishment by this action.

Choice one will still result in punishment, but typically not to the extreme levels. Choice two will definitely bring on more punishment.

Cooperating isnt a get out of jail free card. It just means you didnt piss off the powers that be. The reason louisville is not getting multiple post season bans and massive reductions on top stripped seasons is because they cooperated. I think the punishment fits the crime perfectly, not under kill and not over kill. Rare the NCAAA actually gets something right.

Only uofl, they are the only program in the country that would not eliminate staff after a major infractions case. Further proof to me that they are paying McGee off to stay quiet and take all the heat. Otherwise any other school would get rid of everyone with the chance anything else dirty could come up and start with a clean slate.

This school is disgusting.

I'm honestly trying to think of a program that wouldn't fire their coach and AD after that.

You're hiring HOOKERS for players and recruits! Think about that. 99.9% of fan bases would demand the athletic department be cleaned out.

If you want to take a look at the mindset of Uofl' fan base, here it is. This is why they are the absolute WORST fan base in sports. THE WORST.
They're following their skeevy coach's lead and playing the victim...

It's dumbfounding...

I still think those banners were coming down and those seasons vacated no matter what UL did or didn't do. Now... the scholarship reductions, coach suspension, length of probation, maybe that could have been avoided with Pitino being canned and a more contrite UL response, but that banner had to come down in the NCAA's eyes, IMO.

The hidden gem to all this is the money they have to payback for NCAA appearances. That has to be a hefty sum. Any mention what the ball park on that is?

I still think those banners were coming down and those seasons vacated no matter what UL did or didn't do. Now... the scholarship reductions, coach suspension, length of probation, maybe that could have been avoided with Pitino being canned and a more contrite UL response, but that banner had to come down in the NCAA's eyes, IMO.

The hidden gem to all this is the money they have to payback for NCAA appearances. That has to be a hefty sum. Any mention what the ball park on that is?
No sweat. They can just pay it back from the Uavel Founda...oh wait...

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I believe SEXtino will just announce his retirement and slink out of town no notice I was with Rick Bozich at a recent sports event and he said Pitino told him he will not be made the scapegoat over this.See ya later Ricky :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Coming from the guy who directly hires each one of the staff members! His finger prints are all over this, and isn't it fortunate there are no video surveillance cameras to record the truth. So many tracks were covered, Rick goes to Miami as usual, and then some small item gets out that parties at Minardi are not for general consumption.
It has Rick's prints all over it! Wanna bet other athletes were aware and simply are not being brought into the discussion for the fear of what Jurich would be held ccountable for? It's not like UL is taking Wake Forest game plans!

My guess is that Pitino will resign in a huff if the appeal is denied, which it will be. If he doesn't, U of L will need to fire him for cause. Rick needs to do the right thing- resign and get a NBA front office job. If he tries to ride this out like Boeheim, he'll drag the program to the bottom.

I'm honestly trying to think of a program that wouldn't fire their coach and AD after that.

You're hiring HOOKERS for players and recruits! Think about that. 99.9% of fan bases would demand the athletic department be cleaned out.

If you want to take a look at the mindset of Uofl' fan base, here it is. This is why they are the absolute WORST fan base in sports. THE WORST.

It is unbelievable and they are fighting it on top of that! Really shows that the people in the positions of running the university have the same low life moral values that Jurich and Pitino have. Has to be that or Jurich and Pitino really are running the whole thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT