ADVERTISEMENT

Could we see the death of the Pac 12 AND the ACC this summer?

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
It's one thing for a couple of schools to jockey around for a better fit, but major conferences completely falling apart? This is officially crazy.

I would have believed the Big 12 coming apart, but the Pac 10? All those championships and the geography? Make it make sense.

The geography makes it not make sense! Rutgers playing a West coast team 2500+ miles and 3 time zones away. Zero fans making those trips, probably not many relocated fans attending either. 6 hour team flights each way. Yes professionals do it but they don’t have classes to pretend to take. Even more unbalanced schedules, and fewer rivalries (because even less schools your team will play every year or almost every year).

Where does this end? One huge super conference with 60 schools? How is that different from no conferences at all?

What's the problem with the ACC? Even if they lose 2 schools they'd be fine. I'm not sure the SEC needs any of them. I would be ok wit FSU and Clemson moving.

The geography makes it not make sense! Rutgers playing a West coast team 2500+ miles and 3 time zones away. Zero fans making those trips, probably not many relocated fans attending either. 6 hour team flights each way. Yes professionals do it but they don’t have classes to pretend to take. Even more unbalanced schedules, and fewer rivalries (because even less schools your team will play every year or almost every year).

Where does this end? One huge super conference with 60 schools? How is that different from no conferences at all?

Seems like they will play everyone once every other year and one permanent rival each year. It's not perfect but doable n football.

In basketball if they play 20 conference games, you play 3 permanent twice a year and then the other 14 once a year.

We are obviously heading towards two semi pro league in sec and big 10. There will be a playoff at the end of each sports season for those 2 leagues to crown a champ.

Seems like they will play everyone once every other year and one permanent rival each year. It's not perfect but doable n football.

In basketball if they play 20 conference games, you play 3 permanent twice a year and then the other 14 once a year.

We are obviously heading towards two semi pro league in sec and big 10. There will be a playoff at the end of each sports season for those 2 leagues to crown a champ.
Modern Civil War.

Airplane travel changes things. People can fly to games from one coast to the other and be back the next day.

So now the KU vs AZ takes place. Pretty good match up. Wo der if Utah will tell everone to stay home and lock their doors when KU comes to town. A

Airplane travel changes things. People can fly to games from one coast to the other and be back the next day.

Sure but the vast amount of fans typically drive. You won't see a lot of people ponying up the cash coast to coast trips that often

Reactions: SosaUK1987
What's the problem with the ACC? Even if they lose 2 schools they'd be fine. I'm not sure the SEC needs any of them. I would be ok wit FSU and Clemson moving.

Their grant of rights TV deal underpays the schools by tens of millions - like in some cases, 50-60 million lower - compared to B1G, SEC, and now even the Big 12 after their good TV deal. And that ACC deal lasts for the NEXT FOURTEEN YEARS. If the school waited that out, it’s pure suicide. You’ll never catch up being underfunded by potentially $700 million to possibly even a billion over the course of deal.

Reactions: SosaUK1987
One thing I hadn't really thought about, how long ago did teams even start flying? For a long time in the SEC's existence, a football game at Florida meant a 10 hour drive from Lexington.

Their grant of rights TV deal underpays the schools by tens of millions - like in some cases, 50-60 million lower - compared to B1G, SEC, and now even the Big 12 after their good TV deal. And that ACC deal lasts for the NEXT FOURTEEN YEARS. If the school waited that out, it’s pure suicide. You’ll never catch up being underfunded by potentially $700 million to possibly even a billion over the course of deal.
If the SEC, B10, or B12 offer an ACC team a spot, they have to take it and pay the buyout at this point, I would think. Especially if it’s the SEC or B10 calling.

But there aren’t many ACC teams that will really improve the SEC or Big Ten.

Now the Big 12 could really help themselves by adding some ACC teams.

If the SEC, B10, or B12 offer an ACC team a spot, they have to take it and pay the buyout at this point, I would think. Especially if it’s the SEC or B10 calling.

But there aren’t many ACC teams that will really improve the SEC or Big Ten.

Now the Big 12 could really help themselves by adding some ACC teams.

You pretty much have to. If ESPN is unwilling to pay more (why would they?), the conference must either self destruct or die a long slow death. Ironically, when the ACC signed the deal it was with the idea it’d keep the conference intact for the next 20 years. Instead, it doomed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT