ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Evans says Isaiah Stewart is a three-horse race between UDub, Dook and UK

You can pick another team and do that honorably. We shall see Stewart's character soon. (It will not matter who he picks, but it will matter how he does it.) Will it be Zionesque or will it be honorable....we shall see...

Last edited:
You can pick another team and do that honorably. We shall see Stewart's character soon. (It will not matter who he picks, but it will matter how he does it.) Will it be Zionesgue or will it be honorable....we shall see...

Sorry, what is "Zionesgue"?

Stewart would be stupid to go to Duke! If he does it’s cause he got extra benefits or promises of a big endorsement after he declares for the NBA

It's in Duke and Stewart's best interest for him to go elsewhere. Two true posts doesn't work in 2019.

This has been an incredibly weird recruitment. Either someone is spreading false info or someone is keeping things close to the vest.

It's in Duke and Stewart's best interest for him to go elsewhere. Two true posts doesn't work in 2019.

This has been an incredibly weird recruitment. Either someone is spreading false info or someone is keeping things close to the vest.

Super odd.. And it looks like Richards and EJ would be returning front court players. So Kentucky hasn't been trending well in terms of "Open frontcourt minutes". A month ago, sure.

This kid is a moron if he picks Duke. Either that, or they lied to Carey. Someone ain't going to get the minutes.
As a Duke fan, I want more talent than less, and trust the staff to figure out a way to make it work. But I generally with you, not sure why he'd go to Duke unless either him or Carey can play as a stretch 4.

As a Duke fan, I want more talent than less, and trust the staff to figure out a way to make it work. But I generally with you, not sure why he'd go to Duke unless either him or Carey can play as a stretch 4.

Carey is not a stretch big, but he HAS been working on expanding his range a bit, and can step out for the three if need be. Still, I think he is more of a big body post than a stretch.

Reactions: Catzman
All he has to do and look at how Reddish is losing draft status. Too many players that are too similar someone is getting the short end of the stick.

Funny thing is Richards doesn't seem to mind taking his time to learn the game even if he uses all four years. That's a nice trait to have, enjoy the college atmosphere and have fun.
Let's hope and that he doesn't have the urge to transfer/ or play overseas after this year (sophmore) is up.

If one of them can, and wants to, play as a 4, maybe to expand their NBA prospects... then sure, this could work.

But I don't buy that either is for that. Duke hasn't done well with big men historically and several schools (one that HAS done well with big men), have more minutes for them at the position they were made to play.

Fishy. There's a half dozen reasons for Stewart to go elsewhere, yet it seems like he's willing to look past all those so he can.. join a "brotherhood" that really doesn't exist? Be "set for life" when he'll make more than 99.9% of Duke graduates anyways?

Reactions: Dward13
Sorry, what is "Zionesgue"?

I think he may be referring to the fact that the last 2-3 guys that have been down to UK have done some stuff like follow UK guys and coaches, leak pro UK stuff, etc right before the announcement to get excitement for UK only to pick Duke. It seems Duke is doing it just to get at Cal or UK fans.

Stewart would be stupid to go to Duke! If he does it’s cause he got extra benefits or promises of a big endorsement after he declares for the NBA

He can choose duke u and do that honorably. It could however be completed in a Zionesque fashion.

@TheDude1

All he has to do and look at how Reddish is losing draft status. Too many players that are too similar someone is getting the short end of the stick.

Eh Reddish is getting every opportunity to prove himself. He’s taking basically the same number of shots as Zion, he’s just not making them. His defense has looked a lot better than anyone predicted though.

Reactions: ukhillbilly15
Eh Reddish is getting every opportunity to prove himself. He’s taking basically the same number of shots as Zion, he’s just not making them. His defense has looked a lot better than anyone predicted though.

He has shot 100 more shots than Zion and is shooting 46% overall compared to 66% for Zion. I think if anything he has proven to be a ball hog.

If one of them can, and wants to, play as a 4, maybe to expand their NBA prospects... then sure, this could work.

But I don't buy that either is for that. Duke hasn't done well with big men historically and several schools (one that HAS done well with big men), have more minutes for them at the position they were made to play.

Fishy. There's a half dozen reasons for Stewart to go elsewhere, yet it seems like he's willing to look past all those so he can.. join a "brotherhood" that really doesn't exist? Be "set for life" when he'll make more than 99.9% of Duke graduates anyways?
Stewart has shot 35% from 3 on a good number of attempts, and (I believe) is shooting over 70% on free throws. So he has potential as a shooter.

He has shot 100 more shots than Zion and is shooting 46% overall compared to 66% for Zion. I think if anything he has proven to be a ball hog.
Stats are wrong. Looks like Reddish has attempted 146 shots, while Zion has attempted 152. Percentages way better for Zion, as expected.

Reactions: Cindog28
RJ and Zion aren't the best comparisons. For starters they are two of the top5 NBA prospects in the last decade and their positions work well together. You can have multiple guards and forwards. Those positions often times have the ball in their hand for a portion of the offense. They can work on either side of the court.

But Centers, especially traditional Centers, can't really coexist on the floor. You would need to have some superb athleticism and offense for position 1-3. Otherwise a two-Center team is going to get run down by opposing offenses.. and the opposing team will just clog the pain on defense.

This isn't specifically for Duke, it's for any team.. Kentucky, Kansas etc. How many teams play two centers?

He may go to Duke but of the teams he's considering it would be the worst choice for him and the type of game he has. He is nearly identical to Carey and they don't compliment each other at all. Would be a worse mix and than last year with Bagley and Carter IMO.

Everybody acts like Duke using two bigs last year didn’t work, but they went zone, played pretty good defense, and were an overtime away from the Final Four.

Now, one of the bigs seems to have been disgruntled, and they cut the legs out from under their fast paced point guard, but I doubt K cares much about any of that.

Stewart has shot 35% from 3 on a good number of attempts, and (I believe) is shooting over 70% on free throws. So he has potential as a shooter.

I think that's probably being sold to Stewart right now.. It's the only way this makes sense.

And while Stewart maybe can step out and hit some 3's.. we're not even addressing the defensive problems both he and Carey would pose while they're on the floor together. Go small on them, run them around the court.

Everybody acts like Duke using two bigs last year didn’t work, but they went zone, played pretty good defense, and were an overtime away from the Final Four.

Now, one of the bigs seems to have been disgruntled, and they cut the legs out from under their fast paced point guard, but I doubt K cares much about any of that.

That's the problem though, one WAS disgruntled. The family wasn't happy. Duke fans will spin it shortly, but there's no hiding it. Carter wasn't happy with his situation at Duke. And his talent was wasted, in part. Two centers pose a "diminishing returns" problem.

Also, Bagley was much more of a slashing/transition PF. Him and a traditional center can coexist a bit better than two big bodies.

If Kentucky was in Dukes position and already had Carey (who I wanted more than anyone) I would love to add Stewart as well. So to think it would be a detriment is crazy. The thought of bringing in Stewart when Carey needs a break or vice-versa is scary.

I still believe a solid post presence, especially with the talent of a Cuz or a Carey, can win you a lot of basketball games. It’s important to pair shooters with them but, still. Would make a really strong duo.

With that said, of course I would love if he picked Kentucky.

Seems pretty clear it’s Duke. There was talk about Carey and Stewart wanting to play together and Duke was always the most likely option.

Reactions: Dward13
You can pick another team and do that honorably. We shall see Stewart's character soon. (It will not matter who he picks, but it will matter how he does it.) Will it be Zionesque or will it be honorable....we shall see...

Washington is involved so maybe he’ll do it honorably like Terrence Jones?

I think he may be referring to the fact that the last 2-3 guys that have been down to UK have done some stuff like follow UK guys and coaches, leak pro UK stuff, etc right before the announcement to get excitement for UK only to pick Duke. It seems Duke is doing it just to get at Cal or UK fans.

This exactly what it looks like they are doing to UK. I said looks like. I can’t prove it one way or the other but this has been a pattern lately with several recruits. Pardon some of us for being a bit fun shy at this latest revelation. Hope to high heaven it’s us and not Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT