ADVERTISEMENT

***** Conversion Chart, Article on 40 Times, 100 Times *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Most 40-yard dash times are hand-held and open to a significant amount of human error. Many track times, however, are electronic and can give a more accurate gauge of speed. The following chart can be used to help verify reported 40 times of football players who also run track. It gives a rough estimate of the equivalent 40 time that matches an electronic 100 time. In short, if a guy is reporting he runs a 4.3 in football, he needs to have a blazing 10.3 or better time documented in a 100m track time.

The story linked below the chart goes on to explain how overblown many 40 times are, and that there just aren't that many people out there running 4.4s or better. That is exceptionally rare speed.

10.2 = 4.34

10.3 = 4.38

10.4 = 4.43

10.5 = 4.49

10.6 = 4.54

10.7 = 4.58

10.8 = 4.63

10.9 = 4.75

11.0 = 4.85

How Fast Is Fast? Breaking Down 40 Myths

Wow! Interesting article. I would like to know how hand timing is or can be done accurately. Thanks Jeff.

I just was wondering all these years coaches all over the country have been wrong. So you are saying that handheld times are not true?

I have always suspected that there is a lot of "fudging" going on with 40 times. It amazes me how many receiver recruits always have a 4.4 40, as if that is some sort of trademark they have to display in order to get the offers they seek.

I have always been of the opinion that lining up and running a 40 when you are fresh is not what counts. Go out there and play about a dozen downs and then run a 40 in full pads and check back with me. Then I'll know what kind of football speed you might be able to sustain during a game.

That article is dead on. Coaches for years have just laughed @ published 40 times. I was @ the Junior Combine in San Antonio that contained 500 of the supposed top juniors. Guess how many sub 4.50's??? You guessed it ZERO. Not a one. I have the printout.

Every year there are 150 H.S. OL on Rivals that run sub 5.0's guess how many OL run sub 5.0's at the NFL Combine. Last year Jeremy Zuttah ran a 4.99. He was the only one out of the bunch. Most years there are ZERO.

Check out last years Combine results.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/2008-Scouting-Combine-Results-offensive-tackles/137/

I agree that HS and college 40 times are overblown. Most years maybe one player at the NFL combine is sub 4.3. ONE. Sometimes NONE. Yet every college game you watch on TV has at least one "sub 4.3" player on the field.

Case in point the only sub 4.3 at this years draft was Jacoby Ford. In fact there was only THREE sub 4.4s in the entire 2010 draft. Yet we here about multiple sub 4.4/4.3 on every college broadcast.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

This is way off. Any experienced sprinter knows that a 100 m dash is a race of 2 parts. See how fast you can get and at 40-50m see how much you can hang on to that top speed.

40 times are often fudged unless they are numbers at the NFL combine. You might see a handful of guys at the NFL combine break 4.4 but no more than 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT