ADVERTISEMENT

Connecticut last year

Jan 11, 2016
Connecticut went in to the tournament as a 4 seed last year. They lost 8 games from Dec 31 through the end of the regular season. Not that great. The thing about that Connecticut team was they did not struggle to score. This Kentucky team does need to turn it around on defense especially the guards. Give me a team that doesn’t struggle to score in March. The rebounding seems to be getting better. That alone should start helping the defense some. I’ve not given up on this team. I’m not saying they will win it all but this team has a much better chance than the grind it out teams of the last two years. It was such a struggle for those teams to get easy baskets. This team does not have that problem. I don’t see a dominant team in college basketball this year that this team can’t beat. I’m just gonna keep watching it and keep rooting for them.

Connecticut went in to the tournament as a 4 seed last year. They lost 8 games from Dec 31 through the end of the regular season. Not that great. The thing about that Connecticut team was they did not struggle to score. This Kentucky team does need to turn it around on defense especially the guards. Give me a team that doesn’t struggle to score in March. The rebounding seems to be getting better. That alone should start helping the defense some. I’ve not given up on this team. I’m not saying they will win it all but this team has a much better chance than the grind it out teams of the last two years. It was such a struggle for those teams to get easy baskets. This team does not have that problem. I don’t see a dominant team in college basketball this year that this team can’t beat. I’m just gonna keep watching it and keep rooting for them.

Beat UT by 10-12 and I’ll change my mind. I need to see this team be pissed off and shove a foot up somebody’s butt. We supposedly have “DAAAAWGS”. All I’ve seen lately are pussycsts.

Beat UT by 10-12 and I’ll change my mind. I need to see this team be pissed off and shove a foot up somebody’s butt. We supposedly have “DAAAAWGS”. All I’ve seen lately are pussycsts.
Gonna be tough to do if Wagner or Thiero doesn’t play. And I apologize for my comment towards you in the game thread, was really frustrated with that game

This Kentucky team is nowhere near similar
To that UConn team is any shape or form. UConn had a clear Pg in newton, Kentucky has a bunch of combo guards. UConn had a clear number one scorer in Hawkins, Kentucky does have that with reeves. UConn had a defensive stopper and all around glue guy in Andre Jackson, Kentucky doesn’t have anything close to that. UConn had one of the best bigs in the nation in sanago, Kentucky doesn’t have anything close to that at all. And lastly UConn had an innovative coach who could scheme ways to get things done, Kentucky hasn’t had that in years. Also UConn didn’t lose at home to a team like unc wilmington.

Very good chance Wagner is still out and theiro is probably out again as well

If we can get a full roster and show some “alpha” energy maybe. I want to believe we can turn it around but I am expecting a 10 loss season with an early tourney exit at this point. Will I watch and cheer? Yes.

But, boy, I’m ready to see a balanced team that can actually win home games and close games and big games and win the SEC regular season and tourney on the way to a deep run in the tourney. I miss watching a team and believing that, against a quality opponent, they can string together a few buckets and key defensive stops to pull away or erase a deficit and claim victory. It’s been too long.

Last year's team lost to South Carolina at home and then surprisingly beat a very good UT team on the road. Anything is possible but this team needs to get it together fast. A full roster would help. If DJ's just available for 10 minutes Saturday to give Sheppard a rest it would be incredibly helpful.

It's not too late to turn it around. The 2014 team did starting in the SECT. And we've never played a game with a 100 percent full roster.
But I'm finding it harder and harder to believe. I know one thing. Beating UT Saturday will make it easier to keep the faith.

Reactions: CatsDomain
If we had a coach willing to try different defensive schemes….and a tactician who could help you win 1-2 possession games by making smart analytic based decisions I would be with you. But we don’t….we have a tired Hall of Fame coach resisting the changing evolution of the sport. Trying to do things the same way as the last 30 years.

Give it up. I appreciate the hope. It ain't gonna happen

This team is closer to not winning another game this season than they are winning a NC. Hell, 3 weeks ago I thought they could do it and I was 100% wrong.
It’s crazy considering it’s a make or break season for cal with many of the fanbase. To see cal make some of the same mistakes in game that have hurt for years gets more and more frustrating

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
This is no offense to the OP, but I’m sick of being told “hey look these guys sucked for a while too and they ended up winning the championship!” It’s like all the people that remind us about the 2014. 10 years ago and clearly an exception.

A lot of other teams lost a lot of games too and then lost early. Like us, last year. Exceptions don’t give me warm and fuzzies. And they shouldn’t.

Reactions: ukjenning44
This team is closer to not winning another game this season than they are winning a NC. Hell, 3 weeks ago I thought they could do it and I was 100% wrong.
Glad you saw the light after lecturing me on defense wasn’t important to winning a NC in college basketball! 😃

Reminds me of the Scalabrine quote during the Scallenge.

“I’m closer to Lebron than you are to me.”

• Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
1 seeds have won more NCAA tournaments than every other seed 2-15 COMBINED. So if we’re playing the percentages, you’re a whole hell of a lot better off being good for the entire year.

UCONN was the clear cut best team in America at the beginning of last season. They hit a rough patch and then looked the part again. We’ve not looked like the best team in America at any point this season.

It’s crazy considering it’s a make or break season for cal with many of the fanbase. To see cal make some of the same mistakes in game that have hurt for years gets more and more frustrating
Exactly. I loved watching them play and how they played.

Usually there are signs some things are bad or going downhill but this year is literally the 10 min mark of the Georgia WIN-that turned this program's fortune for '24 season. At no point after that game have they looked like the same fun team they were showing to be-with warts but they were fun to watch.

I hope to hell I'm wrong and this team does something special and fans who stick it out through all the stuff get rewarded and can throw it in doubters faces. Those fans/people deserve to be happy and successful. I just share my takes and some are right/some are wrong but we're fans and this is what this board is for-so we all have takes.

The last time I was this negative about outlook was '22 team which I mentioned more than a few times felt like they were more likely to lose in the 1st Round then make any deep run. That's how I feel about their chances of winning another game this season right now. Not because of the on court stuff-but the chaos off it. That type of **** can ruin a team and everyone is smiling and jumping up and down being "great teammates" they are missing games for some reason that is just total BS as far as I am concerned and honestly think it sucks and it's why change will be refreshing when it takes place for me-as long as that coach has a vision/control over his program. Cal doesn't. Players first is fine to talk-but that's about pushing people to be their best, not tailoring things to make excuses.

Can we please stop comparing this to Uconn from last year.

That Uconn team reeled off 14 straight wins to start the season. At that point they were second in Kenpom.

After losing 6 of 8 conferences games do you know what rank they were? SIXTH.

They dropped a whole FOUR SPOTS.

They then reeled off 8 of 9 to finish the conference season.

That team was always highly ranked and had both a top offense and top defense.

They were a four seed because they happened to lose a bunch of games in a row when they had guys injured.

There was a reason that team despite being a 4 seed was still a favorite for many to come out of their region.

This UK team isn't even in the same planet as that team.

Reactions: ukjenning44
I agree completely. I hate losing. Even at an older age now, losing really hurts. I have seen many years of UK basketball , started about 1962 or 63. In only 4 of those 60+ years have I witnessed a UK win in the final game of the season. I enjoy the ride each year and it is difficult to understand why many on this board say , the season is over, or, I am done with this team. It is only February 1 uh,,, fans?...I see a team that has much room and time to grow and vastly improve. While I am admittedly biased, I feel as strong about our chances to win it all today as I did prior to the game yesterday. I am pumped for the chance to watch a win Saturday.

Usually there are signs some things are bad or going downhill but this year is literally the 10 min mark of the Georgia WIN-that turned this program's fortune for '24 season. At no point after that game have they looked like the same fun team they were showing to be-with warts but they were fun to watch.

I hope to hell I'm wrong and this team does something special and fans who stick it out through all the stuff get rewarded and can throw it in doubters faces. Those fans/people deserve to be happy and successful. I just share my takes and some are right/some are wrong but we're fans and this is what this board is for-so we all have takes.

The last time I was this negative about outlook was '22 team which I mentioned more than a few times felt like they were more likely to lose in the 1st Round then make any deep run. That's how I feel about their chances of winning another game this season right now. Not because of the on court stuff-but the chaos off it. That type of **** can ruin a team and everyone is smiling and jumping up and down being "great teammates" they are missing games for some reason that is just total BS as far as I am concerned and honestly think it sucks and it's why change will be refreshing when it takes place for me-as long as that coach has a vision/control over his program. Cal doesn't. Players first is fine to talk-but that's about pushing people to be their best, not tailoring things to make excuses.
So drama is going on off the court with this team as well? They all look happy for one another on the sidelines.

I’m sick of team turmoil!

For every “this team went through a bad stretch then turned it around in the tournament” there are a hundred “we thought they were going through a bad stretch, turns out they just weren’t very good” teams.

I’ve not given up hope yet, but being this bad defensively in February while injuries continue to pile up is not good.

If you get stops really any time at all, it’s hard to see you making a run in any scenario. Rob & Reed are great but the gambles and poor positioning they take on defense has hurt uk all season. That should have gotten straightened out a while ago

I agree completely. I hate losing. Even at an older age now, losing really hurts. I have seen many years of UK basketball , started about 1962 or 63. In only 4 of those 60+ years have I witnessed a UK win in the final game of the season. I enjoy the ride each year and it is difficult to understand why many on this board say , the season is over, or, I am done with this team. It is only February 1 uh,,, fans?...I see a team that has much room and time to grow and vastly improve. While I am admittedly biased, I feel as strong about our chances to win it all today as I did prior to the game yesterday. I am pumped for the chance to watch a win Saturday.
I’m not giving up on the team, but I’ve lost faith in our coach.

Forget about it. This team refuses to play defense and is soft as Charmin. I am taking Saturday off. More than likely they will too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT