ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats. Excellent performance by Kentucky

It don't work like that. Your post should be....

We realize that we don't ever want to play UK and we understand that when we do what we can expect to happen will be very similar to what we have witnessed tonight. So please committee and referees and anyone else out there to give us respite send us help asap

Why can I understand your post? WTF?

UK fan who picked Duke and then puked, but what I had seen was not going to beat you, but was happy with the guards tonight. Not happy with the bigs, but sure you're feeling just the opposite. Good news for you is we just returned Allen for his junior year lol.. Had to throw in a jab.

Ingram needs to play some PF, so he can learn to be tough. The dude is weak as hell, and his stock will plummet if he doesn't learn to get in and fight.

If you are still relying on Grayson Allen during March, i can see your team getting upsetting in first weekend. He's one of those players who is suited to be 6th man, and not the star of the team.

Not sure not starting D. Thornton (spelling?), is a good idea. He's your primary ball handler, and if he doesn't learn to play against these high level guard, come March...you'll get destroyed.

Duke just doesn't look good, luckily for you guys you have amazing rebounder in A. Jefferson. However, you NEED 2-3 great rebounder. Maybe Plumlee might be able to,

There's a reason why Ingram put on a ton of weight over the summer. He's very skilled, but the first time I looked at him, I was like wow, he's skinny as a rail and I sure can't expect him to be the all-around player Justise Winslow was. He can be an effective defender if for nothing else than his length and athleticism, but he simply doesn't have that NBA ready body Winslow brought from the very first day last season. I'm not going to panic over one awful game from Allen, but I can definitely say this was a humbling experience for him. Even in the Wisconsin game where he came off the bench and played wonderfully, he wasn't seeing wings who were hounding him like he was seeing tonight nor did he have to worry about running into quality big guys every time he went into the lane.

No argument from me that Thornton needs to learn and develop over these next three and a half, four months and be ready to perform. There simply isn't another option at point guard. I mean, maybe Kennard, Jones, Ingram, Allen can do it for small stretches, but it'll be asking for trouble asking for it for long stretches. Plumlee better rebound, defend and block shots because he's never going to be an Okafor on the offensive end of the court unless he's just able to sit under the basket and get offensive putbacks and lobs all game long. This worked for like four minutes tonight, but obviously it wasn't sustainable. Just like Kennard needs to make shots or else he won't be effective.

There's a reason why Ingram put on a ton of weight over the summer. He's very skilled, but the first time I looked at him, I was like wow, he's skinny as a rail and I sure can't expect him to be the all-around player Justise Winslow was. He can be an effective defender if for nothing else than his length and athleticism, but he simply doesn't have that NBA ready body Winslow brought from the very first day last season. I'm not going to panic over one awful game from Allen, but I can definitely say this was a humbling experience for him. Even in the Wisconsin game where he came off the bench and played wonderfully, he wasn't seeing wings who were hounding him like he was seeing tonight nor did he have to worry about running into quality big guys every time he went into the lane.

No argument from me that Thornton needs to learn and develop over these next three and a half, four months and be ready to perform. There simply isn't another option at point guard. I mean, maybe Kennard, Jones, Ingram, Allen can do it for small stretches, but it'll be asking for trouble asking for it for long stretches. Plumlee better rebound, defend and block shots because he's never going to be an Okafor on the offensive end of the court unless he's just able to sit under the basket and get offensive putbacks and lobs all game long. This worked for like four minutes tonight, but obviously it wasn't sustainable. Just like Kennard needs to make shots or else he won't be effective.

it's not just about gaining weight...Why do you think between Murray, Ulis, and Briscoe they had 12 rebounds....

Murray had 5 rebounds.

Ingram had 1....

Classy post op. Good to see such sportsmanship after what must have been a disappointing loss. You're a better man than most.

It's not a problem. I know I'm on a Kentucky board, so I know I'd better show some respect or I'll likely get myself rightfully booted.
Thanks DodgerDukie for coming on board. To me, Duke's lack of PG seems to be the biggest issue. But I would not want to play you guys again in the tournament.

Still a better man than me lol, anyone who beats Kentucky got lucky, the refs cheated, or we played awful. We are never the lesser team in my eyes lol. Either way you seem like a great poster, look forward to having you around during the year.

I know Allen had 2 great games, but IMO (I'm a couch coach so it doesn't really mean much) I think Thornton should start at the 1, he played well in spurts tonight. No idea why he didn't play more.

Lol understandable. I sure don't like to admit to admit Duke was the lesser team, but watching this game, I couldn't come to any other conclusion aside from Kentucky is very much the superior team at this time. If the two teams play again, hopefully for me it'll be a different story, but for it to be different, I know this Duke team is gonna have to improve in a lot of facets. And this doesn't even take into account that Kentucky will undoubtedly be a much better team in four months than they are now.

Well Thornton did get 29 minutes tonight, which was fine. He did show flashes today with his shot and does have the potential on the defensive end (which was one positive I took out of tonight), but going up against the likes of Ulis, Murray and Briscoe, you can see how far he has to go as a ball handler/facilitator. Given the struggles he had at Duke's Countdown To Craziness and also coming in later than the other freshmen due to finishing his classes over the summer to get eligible, I'm not surprised that he's having some problems early on. Granted I wouldn't have been expecting Tyus Jones even had he not had to take classes over the summer since I thought that would have been unfair to place those expectations on him. Actually mentioning Tyus' name makes me more upset than anything tonight since I realize how much he and Quinn Cook (and obviously Winslow and Okafor also) spoiled me last season lol

The Ingram kid had a bad game, but he showed that he has major upside. He will be a player in the league. I'm interested to see what kind of team Duke has this year, it's hard to tell from one game. When do you guys play another big game?

UK fan who picked Duke and then puked, but what I had seen was not going to beat you, but was happy with the guards tonight. Not happy with the bigs, but sure you're feeling just the opposite. Good news for you is we just returned Allen for his junior year lol.. Had to throw in a jab.

Funny since I on this very board in the prediction thread picked Kentucky to beat Duke. I knew that three-headed monster at point guard was something Duke just didn't match up with at all (granted they aren't the only team that Ulis, Murray and Briscoe will destroy). I expected Skal would be more effective, but he dealt with foul trouble from the start. However, Marcus Lee and Isaac Humphries sure made up for that.

Lol well I'd very happily take Allen back for next season. The backcourt/wing spots would be that much better with him around with the likes of Frank Jackson and Jayson Tatum coming in and the likes of Matt Jones, Kennard and Thornton coming back.

When do you guys play another big game?

They play in the 2K Classic on Friday and Sunday. First they'll play VCU on Friday and then Wisconsin or Georgetown on Sunday. VCU may not be as good without Shaka Smart around and obviously Wisconsin just lost to Western Illinois while G-Town lost to Radford. So I don't know if you want to count those as "big" games. If you don't, Duke's next "big" game would be against Indiana in the ACC/B1G Challenge.

They play in the 2K Classic on Friday and Sunday. First they'll play VCU on Friday and then Wisconsin or Georgetown on Sunday. VCU may not be as good without Shaka Smart around and obviously Wisconsin just lost to Western Illinois while G-Town lost to Radford. So I don't know if you want to count those as "big" games. If you don't, Duke's next "big" game would be against Indiana in the ACC/B1G Challenge.

But GT in good position to beat Maryland. Bad thing is the list from Indiana calling the game.

Thanks

it's not just about gaining weight...Why do you think between Murray, Ulis, and Briscoe they had 12 rebounds....

Murray had 5 rebounds.

Ingram had 1....

I know what you're saying. Murray, Briscoe and Ulis are tougher than Ingram. Briscoe was the bulldog another poster told me he was the other day, Murray was the same and Ulis is tough as nails, especially at his size. All I was saying is I knew when I first looked at Ingram, he'd definitely have to get bigger and stronger from where he was before the summer.

You guys find a PG and you'll be in thick of things. Looks like Thornton has potential. This Duke team looks like it has more size and athleticism than usual.

You guys find a PG and you'll be in thick of things. Looks like Thornton has potential. This Duke team looks like it has more size and athleticism than usual.

Class post OP. I always enjoy watching Kentucky play Duke, because it's always a big time matchup. Amile Jefferson is a beast, and I hope y'all smoke Louisville and UNC this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT