ADVERTISEMENT

Concealed Carry

It worries me that you refer to a magazine as a "clip" and want to build a rifle. Jeezus, dude.

Huh??? I never stated anything about building a rifle. My lingo is my lingo. Not real sure I understand the concern, never been in the military I guess...

I may stand corrected. Not sure it was me you pointed at but I think I was the only one that mentioned a clip. I definitely am not into building any weapons. Not my thing.

Last edited:
My fault, thought you were the other guy.

No military experience necessary. Just common knowledge.

Oh and I DO understand the difference between the two. I just like the term and am not around gun enthusiasts much. Clips are so much shorter than magazine. Be Good

I can't even give you a good reason why I do it.

Haven't shot my ar (colt M4) in a very long time. Have been looking for a cheaper AK to shoot the cheaper ak round. May end up trading it off to get that ak.

For a gun enthusiast maybe...

The problem is there is already a "clip" for guns, and it's designed to be used in weapons you'll never probably even shoot. Stripper clips and others are for a totally different style of weapon most of the time, or just arent used at all.

Do you call what kentucky basketball does baseball? Is your wife your husband too?

Not using the correct terminology is how the left is highjacking the conversation. Don't play into it.

And saying clips around any gun person is blasphemy. Watch yourself out there BBUK.

Last edited:
BBUK shooting that high point.

looks fast man,

P82GvlT.gif

CLIP RELOAD
4-bag-clip-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FusterCluck
No they're in Missouri. Loftis pawn. They have a huge selection and if they don't have what you want they can get it.

Go to gunbroker.com and make an account. Search loftis guns *and just "loftis". They have two different locations. Once you're paid up they'll simply ship it to your FFL dealer.

They have several lay away plans with the best one being purchases over 700 (or 750 can't remember) and you get 270 days to pay (9 months). After finding them I hadn't bought anywhere else. Just paid up a 2800 dollar LWRC .308 used. Came beautiful and exactly as advertised, but they have anything you want new. They'll send any pictures of the gun you need if used. Very honest people from what I've seen and I've been dealing with them for a few years now.

Thank you for this reference. I have been on gunbroker for awhile and have not purchased anything yet bc just a little leery. It is nice to know these guys are fair and offer very reasonable terms.

And just to chime in late. Got my CC a few years ago when things seemed like they were starting to deteriorate. People shooting up movie theaters, elementary schools. I see nothing now to dissuade my concerns. If anything with Isis inspired goofball loner morons looking for any kind of attention committing these horrible crimes things are much worse.

I wanna have a say in how I go. And that day, God forbid it happens, will def be me going down defending myself and my loved ones. Feel absolutely naked now w/o my everyday gun, which is my 638. Based on this thread may soon be purchasing a Sig P238 and an AK from Loftis Pawn.

Reactions: .S&C.
What are the top manufacturers for AK's?

With AK's the quality all depends on the country. Romania makes most of the cheaper AK's you'll see, and I've got one that runs, and runs, and runs. Entry level in the AK department doesn't mean much. as most know the AK is generally speaking superior to the AR, and while I guess it's debatable (it's not) it's hard to argue it. Entry level AK's are very nice. High end piston driven AR's like LWRC, are my fav though.

The middle ground would be Bulgarian, Polish, Yugoslavian, some Romanian, chrcks etc. I actually prefer polish, but they're harder to find for some reason. The AK market is blowing up a bit and they're becoming nearly as expensive as most AR's. I think wasr10's are up to 799.99 now. That's crazy. You could buy them in 2009 for 399.00 all day. These gun scares are creating the haves and have nots. Probably the plan. But don't be scared to pull the trigger on a wasr, they're solid.

Russian made AK's would, generally speaking, be the top quality and readily available.

The production of AK's is vast. I'd just find a price that fits and shoot. I like the furniture that comes original in the parts kit, so mine are nearly finished when they hit the door. Something else I like about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRaider22
Thank you for this reference. I have been on gunbroker for awhile and have not purchased anything yet bc just a little leery. It is nice to know these guys are fair and offer very reasonable terms.

And just to chime in late. Got my CC a few years ago when things seemed like they were starting to deteriorate. People shooting up movie theaters, elementary schools. I see nothing now to dissuade my concerns. If anything with Isis inspired goofball loner morons looking for any kind of attention committing these horrible crimes things are much worse.

I wanna have a say in how I go. And that day, God forbid it happens, will def be me going down defending myself and my loved ones. Feel absolutely naked now w/o my everyday gun, which is my 638. Based on this thread may soon be purchasing a Sig P238 and an AK from Loftis Pawn.

They've been great and the layaway plans are incredible. Nice when the have nots are allowed to buy quality weapons. I do lots of preparation and detective work when buying a used gun though, so I don't give much of an opportunity for bs.

They can be a little high sometimes, but with those layaway plans I'm willing to pay 40 bucks over for a new Glock or 100 bucks more on a 1,000 dollar rifle.

P238's are sweet. One of the standard.

Reactions: Atrain7732
With AK's the quality all depends on the country. Romania makes most of the cheaper AK's you'll see, and I've got one that runs, and runs, and runs. Entry level in the AK department doesn't mean much. as most know the AK is generally speaking superior to the AR, and while I guess it's debatable (it's not) it's hard to argue it. Entry level AK's are very nice. High end piston driven AR's like LWRC, are my fav though.

The middle ground would be Bulgarian, Polish, Yugoslavian, some Romanian, chrcks etc. I actually prefer polish, but they're harder to find for some reason. The AK market is blowing up a bit and they're becoming nearly as expensive as most AR's. I think wasr10's are up to 799.99 now. That's crazy. You could buy them in 2009 for 399.00 all day. These gun scares are creating the haves and have nots. Probably the plan. But don't be scared to pull the trigger on a wasr, they're solid.

Russian made AK's would, generally speaking, be the top quality and readily available.

The production of AK's is vast. I'd just find a price that fits and shoot. I like the furniture that comes original in the parts kit, so mine are nearly finished when they hit the door. Something else I like about them.
I haven't read all the posts, but where is the best place to find a true AK. I've been wanting an AK for my collection. I read where the AK74 is an upgrade to to the 47. Does that make it a better gun. Also, look at this selection at Bud's in Lexington and tell me what you think.

TIA....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=AK47&x=0&y=0

I haven't read all the posts, but where is the best place to find a true AK. I've been wanting an AK for my collection. I read where the AK74 is an upgrade to to the 47. Does that make it a better gun. Also, look at this selection at Bud's in Lexington and tell me what you think.

TIA....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=AK47&x=0&y=0

This is what gets me as a complete novice when it comes to purchasing mostly any guns but especially AK's or AR's. There is a price range of between $280-850 on what appears to be all the same gun to me. Which maybe shows my lack of knowledge. However, my understanding of the AK structure is the convenience and durability of the simple makeup. It is simply constructed and will last forever. Can drop in a mud puddle and immediately fire it. So what would make for such a huge discrepancy on pricing? And I am truly asking here bc I don't know. This is a large part of the reason I have not purchased an AK or AR yet bc these huge discrepancies scare and confuse me.

TIA....

When it comes to battle rifles, this place always has the best selection and the most in stock. May not have the best prices, but he's usually got what you're looking for.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/?cat=53

Matter of fact, that RAS47 with Magpul furniture is calling my name.

AK74 is normally chambered in 556 (or some other cartridge), not 7.62. It is a post AKM design, AKM being the designation for rifles that were already a refinement of the stamped receiver of the original AK platform... what that means is that they are very reliable due to inherent design improvements.

Bottom line, if you want a GOOD AK variant, get one with a milled receiver instead of stamped. It will cost you over $1000, but it'll run flawlessly and forever with very little maintenance. Also, there's always the VZ-58 which is a kind of an AK variant (7.62), but actually runs more like an SKS design with a milled receiver, which makes it much more accurate than an actual AK. CZ makes a couple VZ-58's or you can find kits and build one.

My VZ-58
zzz_zpshj2ixh7x.jpg

Last edited:
This is what gets me as a complete novice when it comes to purchasing mostly any guns but especially AK's or AR's. There is a price range of between $280-850 on what appears to be all the same gun to me. Which maybe shows my lack of knowledge. However, my understanding of the AK structure is the convenience and durability of the simple makeup. It is simply constructed and will last forever. Can drop in a mud puddle and immediately fire it. So what would make for such a huge discrepancy on pricing? And I am truly asking here bc I don't know. This is a large part of the reason I have not purchased an AK or AR yet bc these huge discrepancies scare and confuse me.

Gun prices are misunderstood and can cause huge confusion because in most of everything we buy, the higher the price the better the quality. With guns that applies in much less of a general sense. AK's are produced in large quantities in many, many countries. AR's are really only produced in America, thus making the supply far less. This is how an AK can be tougher and more durable and at the same time less expensive in some cases. In 99 an expensive AKS (semi auto AK) was cheaper than some entry level AR's. today that gap is closing however.

AK's are far more durable, generally speaking, than AR's. It's like a glock, and it's why I call my glocks Amercian AK handguns. You can dig an old AK out of the sand and mud 20 years later and I'd bet you it fires. AR's need to be a certain quality to be able to do that, and it's still not a guarantee.

To be simple don't look at pricing (expept for spending limits) when purchasing a gun, especially the AR/AK market. This doesn't apply necessarily to high end weapons, and pricing generally reflects the quality.

To the "true" AK question, it's a tough topic. Certain bans of imports have Made it difficult to obtain a 100% authentic AK. without getting into too much detail, most AK's you'll see on the walls in a shop Have furniture and some parts from other counties and have American assembly. If you want a pre ban AK or 100% authentic, it's going to have a premium. As fuster said, the most important thing when buying an AR, if you can, is in that reciever. Not that stamped registers are bad (I believe 1" thick) but milled is more quality (1 1/2" thick). I love my entry level Wasr though, so for most people they're just fine.

I'm not a fan of the AK74. I prefer .30 cal type chambers and the 74 is closer to the .22 to me. Not much difference in the guns themselves, as the 74 was made to be a similar rifle to the Amercian .223. Less recoil, and ammo is tougher to get. I'd suggest just going with the 47.

Ammo for the 74 (5.45) is easy to find - places like SG Ammo have it in bulk for 24-27 cents per round - but the rifles are increasingly difficult to find. Wolf and others still make it, and the banned cases of corrosive 7N6 can still be found for about $250 or so.

I own both calibers of AK, and I much prefer the 5.45 to the 7.62x39. The 5.45 shoots flatter, has a longer effective range, and at least in my rifles, is much more accurate. The 7.62 has a weird ballistic profile because of the weight of the bullet, so at longer ranges, you almost have to lob it in.

I'd suggest checking out the AK Operator's Union for some unbiased reviews, including 5000 round testing, on some AKs. http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/

Ammo for the 74 (5.45) is easy to find - places like SG Ammo have it in bulk for 24-27 cents per round - but the rifles are increasingly difficult to find. Wolf and others still make it, and the banned cases of corrosive 7N6 can still be found for about $250 or so.

I own both calibers of AK, and I much prefer the 5.45 to the 7.62x39. The 5.45 shoots flatter, has a longer effective range, and at least in my rifles, is much more accurate. The 7.62 has a weird ballistic profile because of the weight of the bullet, so at longer ranges, you almost have to lob it in.

I'd suggest checking out the AK Operator's Union for some unbiased reviews, including 5000 round testing, on some AKs. http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/

Thanks for the link. I get what you're saying, and it's all preference. Not trying to knock the 47 by any means, just prefer the 7.62.

When it comes to battle rifles, this place always has the best selection and the most in stock. May not have the best prices, but he's usually got what you're looking for.

AK74 is normally chambered in 556 (or some other cartridge), not 7.62. It is a post AKM design, AKM being the designation for rifles that were already a refinement of the stamped receiver of the original AK platform... what that means is that they are very reliable due to inherent design improvements.

Bottom line, if you want a GOOD AK variant, get one with a milled receiver instead of stamped. It will cost you over $1000, but it'll run flawlessly and forever with very little maintenance. Also, there's always the VZ-58 which is a kind of an AK variant (7.62), but actually runs more like an SKS design with a milled receiver, which makes it much more accurate than an actual AK. CZ makes a couple VZ-58's or you can find kits and build one.

My VZ-58
zzz_zpshj2ixh7x.jpg

What?? You're suggesting someone build a gun? Do they come with clips? Jk....lol.

But seriously, great info. Thanks.

My VZ-58
zzz_zpshj2ixh7x.jpg
Thanks

Gun prices are misunderstood and can cause huge confusion because in most of everything we buy, the higher the price the better the quality. With guns that applies in much less of a general sense. AK's are produced in large quantities in many, many countries. AR's are really only produced in America, thus making the supply far less. This is how an AK can be tougher and more durable and at the same time less expensive in some cases. In 99 an expensive AKS (semi auto AK) was cheaper than some entry level AR's. today that gap is closing however.

AK's are far more durable, generally speaking, than AR's. It's like a glock, and it's why I call my glocks Amercian AK handguns. You can dig an old AK out of the sand and mud 20 years later and I'd bet you it fires. AR's need to be a certain quality to be able to do that, and it's still not a guarantee.

To be simple don't look at pricing (expept for spending limits) when purchasing a gun, especially the AR/AK market. This doesn't apply necessarily to high end weapons, and pricing generally reflects the quality.

To the "true" AK question, it's a tough topic. Certain bans of imports have Made it difficult to obtain a 100% authentic AK. without getting into too much detail, most AK's you'll see on the walls in a shop Have furniture and some parts from other counties and have American assembly. If you want a pre ban AK or 100% authentic, it's going to have a premium. As fuster said, the most important thing when buying an AR, if you can, is in that reciever. Not that stamped registers are bad (I believe 1" thick) but milled is more quality (1 1/2" thick). I love my entry level Wasr though, so for most people they're just fine.

I'm not a fan of the AK74. I prefer .30 cal type chambers and the 74 is closer to the .22 to me. Not much difference in the guns themselves, as the 74 was made to be a similar rifle to the Amercian .223. Less recoil, and ammo is tougher to get. I'd suggest just going with the 47.

Thanks for your thorough explanation. And for doing it in a way that a novice such as myself can understand.

Reactions: .S&C.

My VZ-58
zzz_zpshj2ixh7x.jpg

I actually think that is a really sharp looking rifle. This makes it really easy for me then-- I will just buy a VZ-58. As a novice AK shooter I was surprised how badly I shot with them. Not a marksman but a decent shot and my uncles AK that I have shot on several occasions was not good for me accuracy wise. So if this variant is better for accuracy and also has the Milled receiver even better. Appreciate the info.

Last edited:
I actually think that is a really sharp looking rifle. This makes it really easy for me then-- I will just buy a VZ-58. As a novice AK shooter I was surprised how badly I shot with them. Not a marksman but a decent shot and my uncles AK that I have shot on several occasions was not good for me accuracy wise. So if this variant is better for accuracy and also has the Miller receiver even better. Appreciate the info.
I just learned last night that CZ is no longer offering these rifles. Gun Broker has some, though.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=cz+vz58

Reactions: Atrain7732
I don't even own a gun but I support the 2nd amendment, and will always support the right to bare arms, for Americans that want too. Liberals always talk about fear and such with gun violence. The fact is they are the ones pushing fear on law abiding citizens.

How about you liberals tackle the real problem? Crime in inner cities, drugs, and black on black gang crime.

The main problem is out of wedlock births. The democrats intentional destroyed the family structure within the black community just to get votes. It's a shame.

Time for a AR pistol build.

Gonna go with spider lower and probably RC upper. Thinking of going black and cerakoting the thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT