ADVERTISEMENT

Colleges trying to reign in NIL.

I am not a fan of Mark Emmert on any level and NCAA in general but …did those that argue NCAA could have done something earlier to prevent this. What exactly could have been done?

To me all peoples want to get as much as they can with as little risk That is the world we live in. The minute SCOTUS ruled the way they did…this was a wrap for destroying college as we know it. Players on top of amazing facilities, free education (which many kids would love) , room and board , clothing, trainers, tutors to help you get grades and on top of that….players are/were getting cash stipends…and people are still saying players are like treated as “ slaves” .

Now players are going to see how the real world really is….and when a kid gets $$$ and does not perform in that year…he’ll get dropped like a hot potato for the next best thing now.

Also, as much as loved Benny Snell, Wandale, KAT, PJ Washington, etc of Ky players..if they are were not associated with UK…I’d probably never care to cheer for them. So as we start to erode the team concept…the attention fans have toward the players of your favorite team will also start to wane
Players were getting nothing. If they would have put something in along the lines of NIL that the NCAA would have control over and capped it at around $100,000 per year, per player, I think players would have been ecstatic.

The NCAA’s problem is they just said nope, not doing anything, so people took them to court. It might have never gone to court if they would have stepped in and out something together.

NIL was the best alternative to paying players. You all talk fairness but having the schools compensate athletes outside of scholarships would’ve been worse when it comes to the have and have nots.

Kentucky can afford to pay athletes but they can obviously pay more than an EKU. Then you would have to get into the whole “at what sport do you stop paying argument.” Woman’s sports obviously wouldn’t get paid as much. Non revenue athletes sacrifice just as much as revenue athletes but under NIL they are allowed to make money if their brand is marketable.

I tried to tell people boosters giving money wouldn’t go away when people just said for the schools to “pay the players” and it would stop cheating. These overgrown cheerleaders love being involved with these athletes. The NCAA is trash and instead of spending all their resources fighting NIL, they could’ve put in real guidelines. This is why I’m all for NIL. If this burns the NCAA to the ground, it’s just another great benefit of NIL

Reactions: TheJuddDome
The NCAA has too many members that are competing for the same piece of pie. They tried to level the playing field through regulation. The truth is players have been getting paid forever. The NCAA should of let players earn money but clearly define the structure.

I think a team cap not a player cap would work. All NIL deals have a contracts. The deals would be easy to track. The black market would still exist but it wouldn’t be nearly as big. With a cap all the Div 1 teams could legally pay money. Kids and parents are going to go to the best deal. Schools that never cheated and there are a bunch are now fully participating in NIL. It would be up to the school to decide how to spend their cap. Like the TN football recruit getting 5M if the cap was 10m they just spent 50% of their cap.

I don’t see anyway to control this without a team cap.

Reactions: westerncat
The “system” will have to correct itself now. When companies/ individuals realize they are not going to get a return on investment, they will stop participating in NIL.

Inevitably, we will end up where this was meant to go, only the big name players will be getting deals. Right now, a lot of people who are interested in their favorite program getting this player, or keeping that player, are offering deals to get or keep said players, but they are not going to recoup their investments on players like Pak and Scheierman.

Let the “newness” wear off, and let some company’s lose some money, and the problem will fix itself.

Players were getting nothing. If they would have put something in along the lines of NIL that the NCAA would have control over and capped it at around $100,000 per year, per player, I think players would have been ecstatic.

The NCAA’s problem is they just said nope, not doing anything, so people took them to court. It might have never gone to court if they would have stepped in and out something together.
But that is a sentiment more than fact.

I know players were getting $350 a month (and more from certain schools)...so while not 100k...players were getting a stipend of a sort for living expenses.

Also, because of title IX...all the female athletes had to get the same stipend as men. So now the costs of that go way up as well.

I am not trying to act like poor colleges, etc...but we are arguing the players were starving, poor, "treated like slaves", etc...which just wasn't the case.

It wasn't executed at all. The NCAA dragged ass with their heads in the sand and had to react (basically by saying "ok, no problem, just let the schools deal with it") to state legislatures deciding enough was enough. With good leadership (i.e. not Emmert), who knows what could have happened. The level of incompetence is mind boggling.
Agree. Emmert screwed the NCAA with selective enforcement, then pissed on the mess he created.

The NCAA has too many members that are competing for the same piece of pie. They tried to level the playing field through regulation. The truth is players have been getting paid forever. The NCAA should of let players earn money but clearly define the structure.

I think a team cap not a player cap would work. All NIL deals have a contracts. The deals would be easy to track. The black market would still exist but it wouldn’t be nearly as big. With a cap all the Div 1 teams could legally pay money. Kids and parents are going to go to the best deal. Schools that never cheated and there are a bunch are now fully participating in NIL. It would be up to the school to decide how to spend their cap. Like the TN football recruit getting 5M if the cap was 10m they just spent 50% of their cap.

A cap is impossible.
NIL is not communism and is not coming from.the school itself.
The minute Bronny James steps on a college campus, his NIL will be more than his entire team.
You can't limit his earnings because it would put the team over a "cap".

A cap is impossible.
NIL is not communism and is not coming from.the school itself.
The minute Bronny James steps on a college campus, his NIL will be more than his entire team.
You can't limit his earnings because it would put the team over a "cap".
Why not? There’s already limits on permissible benefits. Or do you call that communism currently. The NIL deals are already being documented. It just needs a clearinghouse for cap constraints. There will absolutely be limitations imposed it’s just a matter of when.

If Bronny wants to try to make more, he can always choose not to play college basketball. He’s not blocked from making money (not that he needs it)

Why not? There’s already limits on permissible benefits. Or do you call that communism currently. The NIL deals are already being documented. It just needs a clearinghouse for cap constraints. There will absolutely be limitations imposed it’s just a matter of when.

If Bronny wants to try to make more, he can always choose not to play college basketball. He’s not blocked from making money (not that he needs it)
The courts are in the players favor.
A hard cap will be shot down.
The only thing the NCAA can do is make sure the NIL deals are legit and not just a front for pay for play.

I mean, WKU lost Sharpe over NIL and fans there are just like "What's the point of supporting the program at this point?" I mean, there's no way schools like WKU are going to able to hang with the P5 on any level. A kid will sign with a G5 school, have a good season, and will bolt for more NIL money the next season.

All the player movement is taking away my love for college sports. It was happening before NIL but you can't get invested in a team when there's tons of roster turnover year after year.
This is the reason Roy quit in the middle of the night and Jay Wright just hung it up. College basketball will soon be completely dead. Although I’ve voiced my opinion on Calipari, I do agree with his stance on NIL and that they won’t guarantee a certain amount to any one player. That brings an entitlement mentality to the program. Entitlement leads to team turmoil, team turmoil leads to bad seasons and no championships. It’s a fine line you must walk now and it’s getting even thinner by the day. It won’t be long before all the major coaches give up on this bs.

The NCAA is a voluntary organization. If the Presidents get together they can vote in some controls and caps. If you want to be a member have to comply.
The case lost 9 times in court so the NCAA had to have attorneys saying it was a loser. They should have administrative regs in place.
Umm, what?

I am not a fan of Mark Emmert on any level and NCAA in general but …did those that argue NCAA could have done something earlier to prevent this. What exactly could have been done?

To me all peoples want to get as much as they can with as little risk That is the world we live in. The minute SCOTUS ruled the way they did…this was a wrap for destroying college as we know it. Players on top of amazing facilities, free education (which many kids would love) , room and board , clothing, trainers, tutors to help you get grades and on top of that….players are/were getting cash stipends…and people are still saying players are like treated as “ slaves” .

Now players are going to see how the real world really is….and when a kid gets $$$ and does not perform in that year…he’ll get dropped like a hot potato for the next best thing now.

Also, as much as loved Benny Snell, Wandale, KAT, PJ Washington, etc of Ky players..if they are were not associated with UK…I’d probably never care to cheer for them. So as we start to erode the team concept…the attention fans have toward the players of your favorite team will also start to wane
Yes and as that wanes, the sports will slowly die. It's nearly guaranteed.

Reactions: sjjones and K_TIME

Whew do we disagree. Players were getting A LOT as he mentioned. Any cap would have eventually been challenged. I don't believe any arbitrary cap would have withstood judicial scrutiny as it would be both arbitrary and a control on an individuals NIL which SCOTUS didn't like. It would only take 1 person to file and that would have been the end and we'd be here anyway.

How would a team cap pass scrutiny? What is it based on? Salary caps in the pros are agreed to by bargaining agreements. That doesn't exist in college sports and hopefully never will.

You're using the same logic that has already failed. "If a player wants to get paid, they don't have to go to college" being changed to "If a player wants to make more they don't have to go to college" will not work.

Whew do we disagree. Players were getting A LOT as he mentioned. Any cap would have eventually been challenged. I don't believe any arbitrary cap would have withstood judicial scrutiny as it would be both arbitrary and a control on an individuals NIL which SCOTUS didn't like. It would only take 1 person to file and that would have been the end and we'd be here anyway.
They were getting nothing in terms of their name, image an likeness. They were being compensated in other ways, but the money in their pocket was minimal. I believe that if 10 years ago, the NCAA would have put something in place, it would have lasted awhile. Would it have eventually been challenged, most likely. But a structure would have been set up that was going from 0-60mph instead of 0-200mph.

Team caps puts pressure on who gets what based on importance. Do QBs get more than kickers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT