ADVERTISEMENT

Colleges trying to reign in NIL.

BigBlueFanGA

All-American
Jun 14, 2005

No point shutting the barn door once the horse is already out. The insanity of NIL mixed with easy transfers will ruin college sports. Myself and many others on here warned that this is what would happen. These college leaders have zero chance to control this now. Zero.

Maintaining some semblance of amateurism was beneficial. Greed will kill the golden goose for everyone.

No point shutting the barn door once the horse is already out. The insanity of NIL mixed with easy transfers will ruin college sports. Myself and many others on here warned that this is what would happen. These college leaders have zero chance to control this now. Zero.

Maintaining some semblance of amateurism was beneficial. Greed will kill the golden goose for everyone.
It was a great idea in principal, but horribly executed.

Now they (schools, NCAA) all get to lie in the beds they made (poorly).

It’s already done sir. Rome (College Athletics) as we knew it is finished. I have learned to like it for some deserving young people, I have learned how to hate it for non-deserving young people, and some programs… The horses are out… agreed. Do we run and hide or greet it with open arms? Who the hell knows anymore?

Agree....that horse has left the barn, stable and paddocks....it isn't coming back.

f7b5ef49-d4e2-46f3-805b-e464cb299b49_text.gif

I've kind of felt this way for a while now. I agree, I think NIL is going to completely wreck an already severely broken product. I'm thinking mostly of basketball of course. Not sure about football at this point, we'll see.

I mean, WKU lost Sharpe over NIL and fans there are just like "What's the point of supporting the program at this point?" I mean, there's no way schools like WKU are going to able to hang with the P5 on any level. A kid will sign with a G5 school, have a good season, and will bolt for more NIL money the next season.

All the player movement is taking away my love for college sports. It was happening before NIL but you can't get invested in a team when there's tons of roster turnover year after year.

I think that NIL + no penalty transfer were a match made in hell. Now we've got players hopping from team to team every year for the highest dollar. This is exactly what caused me to lose interest in MLB. It's fun waiting around for the 8th guy down the bench to 'announce' that he's staying.

I think that NIL + no penalty transfer were a match made in hell. Now we've got players hopping from team to team every year for the highest dollar. This is exactly what caused me to lose interest in MLB. It's fun waiting around for the 8th guy down the bench to 'announce' that he's staying.
I can also see why older coaches are getting out. As other posters have said, as a coach you have to simultaneously recruit new talent and THEN re-recruit your existing team. Match made in hell.

I can also see why older coaches are getting out. As other posters have said, as a coach you have to simultaneously recruit new talent and THEN re-recruit your existing team. Match made in hell.
Not only that, but now having to keep a short leash on every player for worries of sanctions. I wouldn't want to babysit along with everything else. We now know why Cal came out in such a specific manner. We also know why high profile coaches like Jay Wright have bolted. Why risk your entire reputation and risk it being tarnished now. It has spiraled out of control now.

Reactions: KYExtemper
People are obsessed with fairness.

why can a coach change but a player can’t? Why can coaches make money but players can’t? Why why why why.

Because coaches are professionals who’ve already gone through it. Once grievances become part of the equation this country can’t think through a slab of air. Anyone that openly advocated for this nonsense DO NOT VOTE. You’ve destroyed college athletics please leave the national business alone.

They better at least put back the rule that if you transfer you sit a year. You have to fight the grievance lobby you can’t just give in to their demands.

Someone has to protect the sport while the Gonzo’s are tearing it down. Fight.

Bunch of damn pussy’s is what we have now.

People are obsessed with fairness.

why can a coach change but a player can’t? Why can coaches make money but players can’t? Why why why why.

Because coaches are professionals who’ve already gone through it. Once grievances become part of the equation this country can’t think through a slab of air. Anyone that openly advocated for this nonsense DO NOT VOTE. You’ve destroyed college athletics please leave the national business alone.
Well…,the NCAA screwed the pooch. And then someone sued and it went to all the way to SCOTUS. Where it was unanimous that NIL must take place.

Like it or not, we have to deal with it.

They better at least put back the rule that if you transfer you sit a year. You have to fight the grievance lobby you can’t just give in to their demands.

Genie is out of the bottle. Never gonna happen.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Instead of fighting tooth and nail for the last decade to keep up the amateurism charade the NCAA could have put a reasonable and fair system in place. Too late now.
NIL was not an NCAA choice. They lost a lawsuit decided in the end by the Supreme Court.

lather, rinse, repeat

NIL was not an NCAA choice etc.

Who are the pussies?

NIL was not an NCAA choice. They lost a lawsuit decided in the end by the Supreme Court.

lather, rinse, repeat

Yes, their hand was forced. But the writing has been on the wall for years and years. Everyone knew where this was going to end but the NCAA just stuck their head in the sand. There's no excuse for them not having a system in place they could just turn the key on.

It was a great idea in principal, but horribly executed.

Now they (schools, NCAA) all get to lie in the beds they made (poorly).

It wasn't executed at all. The NCAA dragged ass with their heads in the sand and had to react (basically by saying "ok, no problem, just let the schools deal with it") to state legislatures deciding enough was enough. With good leadership (i.e. not Emmert), who knows what could have happened. The level of incompetence is mind boggling.

1st Timothy 6-10
Proverbs 21-20

Reactions: westerncat

lather, rinse, repeat

True, but the NCAA could have put something in place 10 years ago that would have provided a source of compensation for athletes. Something they could have controlled and had athletes feeling they were being treated fairly.

Instead, they dug their heels in and now we have the wild, Wild West.

True, but the NCAA could have put something in place 10 years ago that would have provided a source of compensation for athletes. Something they could have controlled and had athletes feeling they were being treated fairly.

Instead, they dug their heels in and now we have the wild, Wild West.
I remember there was a push to implement a stipend. Seems quaint at this point.

I actually think this will happen in a year or two. With the NIL I said all along that they opened a can of worms. If they put the transfer rule where you have to sit out a year back in place this will help some. I really do look for the schools with the NCAA help to put a cap on the NIL. If they don't CBB / CFB will be destroyed. JMO.

I actually think this will happen in a year or two. With the NIL I said all along that they opened a can of worms. If they put the transfer rule where you have to sit out a year back in place this will help some. I really do look for the schools with the NCAA help to put a cap on the NIL. If they don't CBB / CFB will be destroyed. JMO.
I dont think a cap will ever work. No matter the cap, it would be an arbitrary rule preventing an athlete from fully owning their own NIL. The transfer rule may be changeable but NIL is locked in.

I called this. People somehow didn't see it. You could see this more than you could a fat chick coming down a hallway. Players bolt for highest money offer. It's free agency and kentucky better pony up.

The NCAA is a voluntary organization. If the Presidents get together they can vote in some controls and caps. If you want to be a member have to comply.
The case lost 9 times in court so the NCAA had to have attorneys saying it was a loser. They should have administrative regs in place.

Reactions: westerncat
I am not a fan of Mark Emmert on any level and NCAA in general but …did those that argue NCAA could have done something earlier to prevent this. What exactly could have been done?

To me all peoples want to get as much as they can with as little risk That is the world we live in. The minute SCOTUS ruled the way they did…this was a wrap for destroying college as we know it. Players on top of amazing facilities, free education (which many kids would love) , room and board , clothing, trainers, tutors to help you get grades and on top of that….players are/were getting cash stipends…and people are still saying players are like treated as “ slaves” .

Now players are going to see how the real world really is….and when a kid gets $$$ and does not perform in that year…he’ll get dropped like a hot potato for the next best thing now.

Also, as much as loved Benny Snell, Wandale, KAT, PJ Washington, etc of Ky players..if they are were not associated with UK…I’d probably never care to cheer for them. So as we start to erode the team concept…the attention fans have toward the players of your favorite team will also start to wane

If you sit a year, that may be a good thing for the kids because they'll get an extra year of NIL $$$ .... sitting is a BONUS, not a negative thing for kids transferring, most especially for those who are not NBA material. Pay for no play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT