ADVERTISEMENT

College sports are dead.

Why is he a jackass for asserting a counter-view? In principle, he's not wrong.

Going backwards is not a solution. NIL is not going anywhere. One year sit out is gone.

And the truth is that college sports were never really stable. There is a huge elephant in the room that no one wants to address, which is that the actual intent of college is education. Our entire post-high school professional sports system is an inefficient mess and it always has been.

It's not all bad either. The transfer window, while intense, is actually a pretty fun window that extends interest in sports past the season. Now, there are obvious downsides to that, but it's not all doom and gloom.
OK, if college is about EDUCATION, why did all of these universities, coaches, and the NCAA make it into a billion dollar a year BUSINESS ? THEY are the ones who put education on the back burner. They saw an opportunity to make mega money off the kids, all while keeping ALL of the profits, other than throwing a token "college education" their way as a prop. The kids got tired of the adults taking advantage of them, especially when the best players (the ones the NCAA make the most money off of), would never use the 4 year "gift" from the greedy adults.

Do the NBA players work on an at will basis?

This isn't the NBA, this is college.

You can play in NBA your whole career.

You only get 4 years in college. Why make a kid stay somewhere he is completely miserable. Very selfish if that is what you want.

OK, if college is about EDUCATION, why did all of these universities, coaches, and the NCAA make it into a billion dollar a year BUSINESS ? THEY are the ones who put education on the back burner. They saw an opportunity to make mega money off the kids, all while keeping ALL of the profits, other than throwing a token "college education" their way as a prop. The kids got tired of the adults taking advantage of them, especially when the best players (the ones the NCAA make the most money off of), would never use the 4 year "gift" from the greedy adults.

Exactly.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing that college sports do in theory positively impact education to be totally fair. I feel like the gap between those two things only gets bigger every year though. That’s exactly why it’s never been a stable system.

If you think you understand this and where it is headed, read this link. It is probably more complicated than you think.
This is exactly why the super conferences have become a thing and will be the eventual death nail in removing the NCAA.

“Here’s what people have to get in their heads: The Power 5 schools are not like everybody else,” he said.

Yeah, this is what’s going to happen and honestly, that’s fine with me. As much as I enjoy college athletics, I’d also be fine if universities stopped sports and the whole charade of pretending to be about academics when they fall over themselves to admit a guy who can barely read simply cause he might help them win some games

The average NBA player has a career earnings of over 24 million dollars.

I would not compare college basketball to the NBA.

College kids only have about 4 years to make their money, if you want to restrict that so you can enjoy the game more, you are just being selfish.

Not ONE of the kids made video games, sold jerseys with THEIR name on it, charged outrageous ticket prices to watch them play, create numerous tournaments both in the US and other countries to make even more money while taking the kids away from school work, create March Madness, sign huge TV deals. They did all of this and then the schools took it a step further and built state of the art stadiums, practice facilities, so on and so on, then increased coaches salaries (who to make even more money signed shoe deals), the players wear the shoes (coaches don't), but coaches / schools get all the money. Then, there is more,, In order to pay for some of the upgrades (can't cut into the profits too much), raised tuition for NORMAL students to help pay for all of these state of the art things. So you tell me, WHO invented all of this we know today ? Players (hell no) , or the greedy adults ? THEY turned a education first agreement into a cash grab, not the kids.

Didn’t read all the posts so I’m sure the point has been made.

They need to do something. Limit it to one transfer per career. Unless: A. The Head Coach who recruited you leaves. B. Medical Hardship/family related transfers, etc. Everything else needs to be severely limited. It should become very rare that a player suits up for more than two schools in his career. The problem is, it’s not the in NCAA’s hands any more.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Pay to play has been happening forever everywhere. It’s just now in everyone’s faces. You think 18 year olds just love living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Lawrence, Kansas?

These top programs get so much money, absurd amounts of money and whose coaches create their status and wealth off of the performance of others. That would cause issues with everyone in the corporate world so why wouldn’t it upset athletes?

The average NBA player has a career earnings of over 24 million dollars.

I would not compare college basketball to the NBA.

College kids only have about 4 years to make their money, if you want to restrict that so you can enjoy the game more, you are just being selfish.
Who wants to restrict them from making money?

You should try having sympathy for others. Read this article and see how much college sports can negatively effect people. They deserve every transfer, every sponsorship, every dollar they can get. You don't realize how much college athletes sacrifice.

And if you want to restrict their freedoms to increase your viewing enjoyment, you are selfish

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Do we really need another thread for the old guys on here complaining about college sports.

If you don't like it anymore, go find another hobby.

The games are still fun to watch.

If it bothers you that these kids can bargain each year for better pay, that's a you problem not a college basketball problem.

It sounds like you are only a fan if the kids are restricted in a way that makes you happy. That is sad and selfish.

They are the workers. It is their lives. Let them get all the benefits they can from all the hard work they put in. Stop being so selfish.
Won't argue your narrative, but since they come to school on a FREE scholarship, how about they pay back that FREE scholarship with that NIL money they received from the school if they bolt for what the player perceives as greener pasture.

Anyone who wants to limit their transfers is restricting their earning opportunities.

Unlimited transfers allow them to maximize their market value
I'm saying lock them up with a contract. How hard is that to comprehend? They won't be playing for free.

You can't take away players freedom of movement and freedom to make a living just because its better for your fandom.

Should you have to sit out a year if you want to change jobs? See how absurd that concept is?
A valid point to a degree. However, (not sure) but aren't LOI's similar to contracts? Pros have to agree to staying put until free agency or other stipulatory articles in their contracts so...Not really sure how that plays out in signing their LOI's, not really versed enough to give a good enough answer.

Being able to transfer to the highest bidder every year is just pure lunacy. There should be 4 year contracts with the only out being the NBA or quitting sports. No jumping from team to team. Thoughts?
It will destroy college sports as we all knew it. If anyone thinks college sports is going to be better they need their head examined. Money destroys everything.

Just go back to the old standard of transferring and sitting out a year before playing. Most would rather stay and play, but if a player finds that they had made the wrong choice or the situation is toxic, they would be willing to sit out a year. That would weed out most of this crap we see now.
Can’t be done. The courts decided this one. Schools cannot force them to sit a year. This is no longer up to the NCAA.

Being able to transfer to the highest bidder every year is just pure lunacy. There should be 4 year contracts with the only out being the NBA or quitting sports. No jumping from team to team. Thoughts?

100% 🙌

I'm saying lock them up with a contract. How hard is that to comprehend? They won't be playing for free.

Lock them up????
That is exactly the selfish restrictions I'm talking about.

They have 4 years!! That's it.

They should have as much freedom as possible,. They should only be on 1 year contracts.

Just form minor leagues for wanna-be NBA players. Stop giving college athletes a dime other than a scholarship which provides for tuition, books, food and a nice dorm. Colleges can get back to the old standard, and all the athletes wanting to get paid can go elsewhere. Good luck with that! Of course, I realize that things will never get back to the collegiate sports days of the pre-2000’s. Those were the best of times, and, yes, some were paying athletes under the table, but we didn’t have the mess that we now have.
Athletes wanting to get paid need to go play for professional teams and skip college all altogether. After all, what is the reason to go to college anyway? College doesn’t need to be a training camp where athletes come to get paid. Once the top athletes (not students) go elsewhere, collegiate revenue will dwindle, and all of us don’t have to worry about profit-sharing with the “entitled” super stars. What a mess!

The fact that any of you care that they can leave every year is pure lunacy. What does it matter to you other than your own selfish interest in viewing a basketball game?

Reactions: AllBlueEverything
A valid point to a degree. However, (not sure) but aren't LOI's similar to contracts? Pros have to agree to staying put until free agency or other stipulatory articles in their contracts so...Not really sure how that plays out in signing their LOI's, not really versed enough to give a good enough answer.
This whole thing is still in the court. Earlier in the thread, I linked an article about the lead attorney fighting the NCAA. He seems to be hoping for a "settlement", but who knows where this will wind up? I am not optimistic.

I'm done wasting my time.
You all are some old selfish dudes that are getting left behind and are not able to adapt to what college sports have become.

Just sit here and complain about about it on a forum instead of actually enjoying what you have right in front of you. That sounds smart

It's like you chose being disgruntled over enjoyment.

If life isnt being run the way you think it should be you are going to shout to the sky how terrible everything is.

Take the attention off yourself and be happy for these kids. You might be surprised how much more enjoyable life is when you worry less about yourself and care more for others

Do we really need another thread for the old guys on here complaining about college sports.

If you don't like it anymore, go find another hobby.

The games are still fun to watch.

If it bothers you that these kids can bargain each year for better pay, that's a you problem not a college basketball problem.

It sounds like you are only a fan if the kids are restricted in a way that makes you happy. That is sad and selfish.

They are the workers. It is their lives. Let them get all the benefits they can from all the hard work they put in. Stop being so selfish.
If they are workers as you say, then why is there no consequences or accountability for players as workers?

If you are being paid to do a job, say be the point guard for UK and get paid $500,000 in NIL, does UK coaches get to deduct $1000 per turnover? Deduct $1000 for every game under 5 assists?

Fans are asked to donate to NIL for their schools. Do us fans get to have a say in how our money is being spent?

If you donate to a charity and they start spending more on themselves and not on the charity, people usually pull back on their donations.

If these players are "workers" are they employees of the university or they independent contractors? Since they can move around freely without restrictions, then they must be independent contractors. If so, then why are they getting free room and board? Free schooling? Medical care? Use of practice facilities?
If they are independent contractors like myself, where is there workers compensation insurance? You know if one of these "workers" goes to the basket and falls out of bounds hurting a cheerleader or photographer, can they sue that "worker" for loss of wages?

As a worker as you call them, there must be some sort of contract.

As one of the "old guys" complaining about college sports, it is old f***kers like myself who understand that life is not a one way street.
Why would I want to buy my grandkids a jersey of a "worker" who only stays at UK for 3 months before they bolt to a school that is our rival?

No young grasshopper, it is your generation that is going around with your hands out without wanting to be held responsible for your actions.

This whole thing is still in the court. Earlier in the thread, I linked an article about the lead attorney fighting the NCAA. He seems to be hoping for a "settlement", but who knows where this will wind up? I am not optimistic.
I thought so to but the NCAA changed the rule on multiple transfers Wednesday April 17. The D1 board will vote to ratify this upcoming week making it permanent. They are also moving toward universities facilitating NIL deals for the players.

The state of Virginia passed a law last week that schools in state could directly pay college athletes.

I've been so consumed with UK info I missed the rule change last week.

I'm done wasting my time.
You all are some old selfish dudes that are getting left behind and are not able to adapt to what college sports have become.

Just sit here and complain about about it on a forum instead of actually enjoying what you have right in front of you. That sounds smart

It's like you chose being disgruntled over enjoyment.

If life isnt being run the way you think it should be you are going to shout to the sky how terrible everything is.

Take the attention off yourself and be happy for these kids. You might be surprised how much more enjoyable life is when you worry less about yourself and care more for others
Good riddance bassfan.

I thought so to but the NCAA changed the rule on multiple transfers Wednesday April 17. The D1 board will vote to ratify this upcoming week making it permanent. They are also moving toward universities facilitating NIL deals for the players.

The state of Virginia passed a law last week that schools in state could directly pay college athletes.

I've been so consumed with UK info I missed the rule change last week.

The article I linked is about words the lawyer spoke Thursday re an ongoing lawsuit. This could get very complicated.

Just form minor leagues for wanna-be NBA players. Stop giving college athletes a dime other than a scholarship which provides for tuition, books, food and a nice dorm. Colleges can get back to the old standard, and all the athletes wanting to get paid can go elsewhere. Good luck with that! Of course, I realize that things will never get back to the collegiate sports days of the pre-2000’s. Those were the best of times, and, yes, some were paying athletes under the table, but we didn’t have the mess that we now have.
Athletes wanting to get paid need to go play for professional teams and skip college all altogether. After all, what is the reason to go to college anyway? College doesn’t need to be a training camp where athletes come to get paid. Once the top athletes (not students) go elsewhere, collegiate revenue will dwindle, and all of us don’t have to worry about profit-sharing with the “entitled” super stars. What a mess!
OK if you do that to the kids, make the adults cut out all of the mega tournaments pre and post season. Let the kid have a "normal" college experience. Say play 20 games a year, no out of country tournaments, no conference tournaments, etc. The kids will have time to "hit the books". But that won't happen, they will keep adding games, events, etc. You know ways to make MORE money. Student first, athlete second. Schoolwork before playing all over the US and other countries. BUT, your way, I hope you enjoy watching the Horizon, MAC, Conference USA, Ohio Valley, OVC games. Because without the stars (elite players), that is the product level you will get. A bunch of 5-11 to 6-7 unathletic players with High IQ, and a bunch of tall guys who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time lumber up and down the court. THAT is what you will get and the NCAA / Universities will lose a shit ton of money because NOBODY will want to pay / watch a subpar product on the court.

Reactions: ala_kat2 and catben
Not ONE of the kids made video games, sold jerseys with THEIR name on it, charged outrageous ticket prices to watch them play, create numerous tournaments both in the US and other countries to make even more money while taking the kids away from school work, create March Madness, sign huge TV deals. They did all of this and then the schools took it a step further and built state of the art stadiums, practice facilities, so on and so on, then increased coaches salaries (who to make even more money signed shoe deals), the players wear the shoes (coaches don't), but coaches / schools get all the money. Then, there is more,, In order to pay for some of the upgrades (can't cut into the profits too much), raised tuition for NORMAL students to help pay for all of these state of the art things. So you tell me, WHO invented all of this we know today ? Players (hell no) , or the greedy adults ? THEY turned a education first agreement into a cash grab, not the kids.
Exactly!!!

This is why it is beyond ridiculous for Nick Saban to be upset that his players asked him what kind of deals he could offer them after they lost in the playoffs. Why would that upset him when I can guarantee you Ole Nick and his agent were asking his AD what he could do for him after EVERY season.

These coaches have been coddled and paid ASTRONOMICAL amounts of money with even MORE perks, for the last 40 years, yet when the players that gave their blood, sweat and tears to enable these coaches to make MILLIONS asked for a slice of that, these SAME coaches whined about it!!!

These kids deserve EVERY PENNY they can get!! Heck, lower these coaches salaries and give it to the players!!

LOL at the poster who said "deduct money for turnovers, etc." Why ? The schools are not paying ANY of the money the players make. No, No, No. They leave that to the boosters, fans, anyone who will donate money. So why should they deduct money from players when it is not them who pays the players? Which is another way to keep profits, have other people pay for the meal ticket to get paid, they do not want to dig into THEIR pockets.

Reactions: catben
Exactly!!!

This is why it is beyond ridiculous for Nick Saban to be upset that his players asked him what kind of deals he could offer them after they lost in the playoffs. Why would that upset him when I can guarantee you Ole Nick and his agent were asking his AD what he could do for him after EVERY season.

These coaches have been coddled and paid ASTRONOMICAL amounts of money with even MORE perks, for the last 40 years, yet when the players that gave their blood, sweat and tears to enable these coaches to make MILLIONS asked for a slice of that, these SAME coaches whined about it!!!

These kids deserve EVERY PENNY they can get!! Heck, lower these coaches salaries and give it to the players!!
How about the coaches kick in ? MAYBE pay the players who wear the shoes in which they get paid million from shoe companies, some of their benefits ? Nope, greedy adults can't cut into their millions to share with the players who actually wear and are advertising the shoes ? I do not think shoe companies would pay millions to see the coaches on the sideline wearing them. No players, no shoe deal, but they get NOTTA.

Reactions: catben
Every day we have choices to make. The fact that you choose to be angry/upset about the freedoms and liberties bestowed upon college athletes today is bewildering.

Enjoy being angry 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Every day we have choses to make. The fact that you choose to be angry/upset about the freedoms and liberties bestowed upon college athletes today is bewildering.

Enjoy being angry 🤣🤣
I thought you were leaving bassfan? Also, who are you talking to?

How about the coaches kick in ? MAYBE pay the players who wear the shoes in which they get paid million from shoe companies, some of their benefits ? Nope, greedy adults can't cut into their millions to share with the players who actually wear and are advertising the shoes ? I do not think shoe companies would pay millions to see the coaches on the sideline wearing them. No players, no shoe deal, but they get NOTTA.

I’ll go even further and say allow the players to get a cut of the TV revenue!!

These AD’s have built elaborate sports complexes for ALL university sports(even the non-revenue) with the money these players in basketball and football generated. So it’s not just the coaches(but they are the biggest hypocrites) that are using these players, it’s the athletic departments too.

Boosters will eventually stop giving money.... imagine you are Fedex and that $25 million over 5 years turns into $100 Million over 20 years and all you have to show for it is a sweet 16.

Maybe it's a tax write off for them but still... the amount of money being thrown out there for a chance in a 1 n done tournament is insanity.
Stockholders for FedEx should be wild over the NIL pledge.

I doubt there is very much return on investment while taxpayers are paying for NIL absurdity with the tax defuction

Reactions: DraftCat
I don’t know about four year contracts, but the NBA just needs to further develop the D league and college ball go to something like the baseball model. Even if it’s reduced from a three year minimum to two, but let kids go pro right out of High school if they choose. That will eliminate many of the primadonna athletes who demand millions from schools, then you’ll have more programs with great college players who aren’t necessarily great for the NBA.

There’s no easy answer. Every solution still has its flaws or drawbacks, but this free for all is ridiculous.

Just go back to the old standard of transferring and sitting out a year before playing. Most would rather stay and play, but if a player finds that they had made the wrong choice or the situation is toxic, they would be willing to sit out a year. That would weed out most of this crap we see now.

It is not legal what you’re purposing according to Federal Courts … what the NCAA did for over 100 years is and was a walking and talking Sherman Anti Trust Violation and College Sports fans need to under stand this … from the Associated Press:

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — College athletes who have transferred multiple times but were denied the chance to compete immediately can play through the remainder of the academic year, a federal judge ruled Monday.

U.S. District Judge John Preston Bailey in West Virginia made the ruling on a motion filed Friday by the NCAA and a coalition of states suing the organization. Preston extended a temporary restraining order he had issued last Wednesday barring the NCAA from enforcing its transfer rule for 14 days.

I don’t know about four year contracts, but the NBA just needs to further develop the D league and college ball go to something like the baseball model. Even if it’s reduced from a three year minimum to two, but let kids go pro right out of High school if they choose. That will eliminate many of the primadonna athletes who demand millions from schools, then you’ll have more programs with great college players who aren’t necessarily great for the NBA.

There’s no easy answer. Every solution still has its flaws or drawbacks, but this free for all is ridiculous.
Yeah, I'm more in line with 2 year contracts now. That way neither side is locked in on a contract they don't like. Sorta like how Kal held us hostage.

It won't be dead, but some teams that normally don't compete will now start to . The NCAA and the schools shouldn't have been selfish and shared some of the money with the people that were making it for them.
Who is making money? People keep perpetuating this myth. If they were making money to share there wouldn’t be a need for Tyson chicken. No one was making money except the networks. And they share the money with the schools. The schools then spend it all on athletes and facilities. No one was girding money. Such a myth

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT