ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

mellowe4

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2008
Coaches come and go. It's a job with little stability and great rewards. Personally, what I don't like is back door, sneaky business. I really feel like liam should make a statement. Now, he may have communicated with the team and that would make me feel a lot better about this situation. I would like to see him address the fan base as well. Even if it to say, this is what's happening and this is one of the reasons why we coach, to get to the big game or the big job. Whatever the motivation, how about keeping us, at least marginally, updated.

Your NEVER going to get that unless he leaves OR if the NFL press makes it public that he did ACTUALLY interview for an OC job and the UK press asks him about it. If he didn't even get an interview and is going to stay, it will not be addressed and it will be business as usual.

Coaches come and go. It's a job with little stability and great rewards. Personally, what I don't like is back door, sneaky business. I really feel like liam should make a statement. Now, he may have communicated with the team and that would make me feel a lot better about this situation. I would like to see him address the fan base as well. Even if it to say, this is what's happening and this is one of the reasons why we coach, to get to the big game or the big job. Whatever the motivation, how about keeping us, at least marginally, updated.
What do you want him to say? “Hey cat fans, Liam Coen here. I’m not goin anywhere unless it is an opportunity I can’t pass up. For example to call plays in the NFL. Go Big Blue”. It’s not like he is interviewing a job at Arkansas or something. It’s the NFL.

Some circumstances are actually ‘sneaky’ but all of this has been pretty public. But i consider stoops’ thing sneakier than this. But I don’t know what a coach is supposed to say during these things he gets killed on recruiting trail if they acknowledge they’re open to other jobs even though virtually every coach is open to other things and if he says he isn’t interested then leaves he gets killed.

Reactions: hmt5000
What do you want him to say? “Hey cat fans, Liam Coen here. I’m not goin anywhere unless it is an opportunity I can’t pass up. For example to call plays in the NFL. Go Big Blue”. It’s not like he is interviewing a job at Arkansas or something. It’s the NFL.
Good point, I guess I would like to hear it from him.

Carousel might be getting started back up. More smoke about Harbaugh to Chargers. If he leaves does Michigan call Brian Kelly? And if they do, does he say yes? He'll be breaking in a new DC and OC next year if he stay at LSU, plus the DC he just hired came from Michigan.

If he leaves, which way does LSU go? Kiffin? You know he'd probably jump and then Ole Miss is scrambling for a coach. Could be a mess.

Carousel might be getting started back up. More smoke about Harbaugh to Chargers. If he leaves does Michigan call Brian Kelly? And if they do, does he say yes? He'll be breaking in a new DC and OC next year if he stay at LSU, plus the DC he just hired came from Michigan.

If he leaves, which way does LSU go? Kiffin? You know he'd probably jump and then Ole Miss is scrambling for a coach. Could be a mess.
All of that is possible, but the likely scenario is, Michigan hires Sherron Moore, and that's the end of that, except for potential staff shuffling at Michigan. Assuming Harbaugh takes some staff to the NFL, Michigan will try to poach assistants.

I don't have any info, but I would think Mich would promote from within, likely the guy who was acting head coach during Haebaugh's suspensions foe 2 main reasons. He did a good job during the suspensions and to keep the team intact as much as possible.

But if offered I think Kelly would take it, he just seems like a fish out of water at LSU.

All of that is possible, but the likely scenario is, Michigan hires Sherron Moore, and that's the end of that, except for potential staff shuffling at Michigan. Assuming Harbaugh takes some staff to the NFL, Michigan will try to poach assistants.
I don't know how happy I'd be if I'm a Michigan fan and they promote Moore. After floundering around playing second fiddle to OSU for years you finally get a coach who can make it happen for you and then suddenly you're back to a first time HC?

After what just happened with Bama & their roster exiting.....that solidified the promotion of Moore to be next Michigan coach, rather than hire external

Wouldn't you rather move up Moore 24 hrs after Harbaugh leaves, the team rallies around him to stay for the same culture and schemes, to stay all together and defend the Big 10 & Natty? Or, after days/week of interviews hire Brian Kelly, then watch your top 20-30 players hit the portal over the next excruciating 30 days?

It's a no brainer

After what just happened with Bama & their roster exiting.....that solidified the promotion of Moore to be next Michigan coach, rather than hire external

Wouldn't you rather move up Moore 24 hrs after Harbaugh leaves, the team rallies around him to stay for the same culture and schemes, to stay all together and defend the Big 10 & Natty? Or, after days/week of interviews hire Brian Kelly, then watch your top 20-30 players hit the portal over the next excruciating 30 days?

It's a no brainer
Agree and Moore deserves a shot.

It's a no brainer
I'm just not big on first time HC's. Sure it works out sometime, ala Stoops. I just think it's a lot less risky to hire a proven HC.

But technically Moore wouldn't be a 1st time HC...did sub duty fir Harbaugh 2 diff time periods in 2023

Reactions: Father Torque
The risk in hiring Moore is not knowing how much of his success in his temp work was related to what Harbaugh had done organizationally and how much if that he can carry forward

Reactions: Father Torque
I'm just not big on first time HC's. Sure it works out sometime, ala Stoops. I just think it's a lot less risky to hire a proven HC.
High level P5 coordinators actually have a slightly better track record than lower level head coaches, even those with good records. Obviously, the ideal choice is an elite P5 coach, but, they're not usually taking lateral jobs. Even when they do, it's not a guarantee, see, Mullen, Fisher, etc.

Basically, it's a crapshoot.

High level P5 coordinators actually have a slightly better track record than lower level head coaches, even those with good records. Obviously, the ideal choice is an elite P5 coach, but, they're not usually taking lateral jobs. Even when they do, it's not a guarantee, see, Mullen, Fisher, etc.

Basically, it's a crapshoot.
Interesting and true. I have looked at what traits the most successful P5 coaches have in common and what I have seen is again and again is a broad base of experience. If you look at the most successful coaches - Saban, Day, Smart, Harbaugh, Myer etc. what you see is several years of broad based experience coaching at different places, different positions, some even with NFL as well as college experience. I think working under different head coaches lets you observe different style of leadership and management and see what works and what doesn't work, and develop your own style, as well as learning a lot about different positions on both offense and defense. That's not to say a young hot shot coordinator and first time GO5 coach can make a successful transition to top P5 coach but it just doesn't seem to happen that often. At the end of the day like you say it's often a crapshoot. "Can't miss" coaches miss quite a bit, and long shots hit the board.

Going forward no P2 (SEC & Big 10) programs will hire G5 or lower HCs. Napier will be among the last, we all see how that is going. Maybe, maybe Sumrall...but I bet he gets a Big 12 or ACC job next after Tulane. Before SEC/Big 10.

All P2s will hire ACC or Big 12 HCs, or P2 coordinators. Why, because G5 coaches don't know how to portal, don't know how to tamper, don't know how to NIL. And if you can't do that you can't compete in the 16 team SEC or 18 team Big 10.

But technically Moore wouldn't be a 1st time HC...did sub duty fir Harbaugh 2 diff time periods in 2023
A head coach is a CEO mostly. The guy who stepped in probably just did the job he was doing and they went without a CEO for a few weeks. Harbaugh just couldn’t be on the sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT