ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching carousel...

Aug 17, 2011
There is a better than 50/50 chance that there are three jobs open in the SEC come Monday.

It looks like the end is near for the three M’s - Moorhead, Muschamp and Malzahn.

If that happens I could see Malzahn to Arkansas, Napier or Norvell to Mississippi State, and Dantonio to South Carolina.

There is a better than 50/50 chance that there are three jobs open in the SEC come Monday.

It looks like the end is near for the three M’s - Moorhead, Muschamp and Malzahn.

If that happens I could see Malzahn to Arkansas, Napier or Norvell to Mississippi State, and Dantonio to South Carolina.

Where are you getting that info? I don't think any of them are getting fired, but I do believe Moorhead could leave on his own.

Reactions: Rockford
Where are you getting that info? I don't think any of them are getting fired, but I do believe Moorhead could leave on his own.

If all three lose this weekend, all three get fired.

The Moorhead deal is a bad fit. They’ve been on him ever since that debacle in Lexington.

There are big boosters at Auburn who have wanted Malzahn out for several years and with Arkansas open, the timing is good for Gus.

And unless SC pulls off a miracle, they can’t afford to keep Muschamp who will likely be the next patient to check into the Nick Saban halfway house for fired coaches.

Malzahn will be back if Auburn beats Alabama, Muschamp and Moorhead is anybody's guess, although things are dicey at those two schools for sure.

Auburn is in such a tough spot with Malzahn. He’s shown he’s going to win 8/9 games a year most years, but that’s not what Auburn is in the game to do. He’s also shown he can get to the championship game and beat Saban every so often, which is something no other school besides Clemson can say, and of course LSU this year.

Personally, I don’t think firing Malzahn is the answer unless they know they’re getting Urban Meyer, but I’ve seen no indication of that happening. The SEC West is an insanely tough conference and he’s shown he can win it every so often. I don’t think now is the time to go hunting for a new coach unless they know they’re getting a top 5 coach. I’m not sure who is out there that could reasonably do better having to play Bama, LSU and Georgia every year.

Auburn is in such a tough spot with Malzahn. He’s shown he’s going to win 8/9 games a year most years, but that’s not what Auburn is in the game to do. He’s also shown he can get to the championship game and beat Saban every so often, which is something no other school besides Clemson can say, and of course LSU this year.

Personally, I don’t think firing Malzahn is the answer unless they know they’re getting Urban Meyer, but I’ve seen no indication of that happening. The SEC West is an insanely tough conference and he’s shown he can win it every so often. I don’t think now is the time to go hunting for a new coach unless they know they’re getting a top 5 coach. I’m not sure who is out there that could reasonably do better having to play Bama, LSU and Georgia every year.
USC has already said the Muschamp will return next year as they can't afford the $22 million buyout and none of their boosters are willing to step up and help. Now he will be on an extremely hot seat next year, but unless someone steps up to pay his buyout, then he will be the coach again. But USC could lose their new president, AD and Muschamp if next year isn't significantly better than this year.

If they lose to Bama that would mean they were swept by the four best teams in the conference. 5th place is not where Auburn wants to be.

Having said that, I think they win the Iron Bowl and the Gus Bus heads west to Fayetteville which in hind sight, he probably wishes he had done in 2017.

If they lose to Bama that would mean they were swept by the four best teams in the conference. 5th place is not where Auburn wants to be.

Having said that, I think they win the Iron Bowl and the Gus Bus heads west to Fayetteville which in hind sight, he probably wishes he had done in 2017.
I find it hard to believe he’d want to go to Arkansas. He’d face so many challenges there rebuilding that program in the SEC west. Maybe he has connections to Arkansas, but to me I don’t see why he’d want that job right. Who wants to rebuild a program with Bama, LSU, Auburn and A&M on your schedule every year? That’s tough.

Reactions: Rockford
USC has already said the Muschamp will return next year as they can't afford the $22 million buyout and none of their boosters are willing to step up and help. Now he will be on an extremely hot seat next year, but unless someone steps up to pay his buyout, then he will be the coach again. But USC could lose their new president, AD and Muschamp if next year isn't significantly better than this year.

That’s what they all say unless they are willing to cut bait mid-season. In the SEC, buyouts have become rounding errors. At worst, you may have to delay a facility project for a year or so. And with the impending TV negotiations and realignment on the horizon, you may not even have to do that.

Muschamp should be fired, but the money makes it tough like you said. It’s better for us that he stays. Stoops has shown he can beat Muschamp. We don’t need USC to get it turned around.

I find it hard to believe he’d want to go to Arkansas. He’d face so many challenges there rebuilding that program in the SEC west. Maybe he has connections to Arkansas, but to me I don’t see why he’d want that job right. Who wants to rebuild a program with Bama, LSU, Auburn and A&M on your schedule every year? That’s tough.

It’s home. It will pay well. And he’ll have more rope than they gave Morris.

I wonder if Skip Holtz would get any consideration at Arkansas or South Carolina? He's been quietly doing a fine job at La. Tech for years now.

Much like the Solich days at Nebraska. Didn't win the 'big one' enough so they got rid of him. Have't been relavant since.

Much like the Solich days at Nebraska. Didn't win the 'big one' enough so they got rid of him. Have't been relavant since.
I admire Auburn’s desire to be like Alabama is, but it can go terribly wrong if they don’t hire the perfect guy. I’d just try to ride out this wave of Bama dominance with Malzahn. He’s shown he can beat them occasionally. I just can’t think of a coach they could get that would do a whole lot better than him.

Muschamp is from Arkansas, He was a hot shot HS coach at Springfield I believe. He was hired by Arkansas when his HS QB, Mitch Mustrain, signed with them several years ago. So the connection is there, they would love to have him and why Auburn signed the crazy contract he has now because they were after him when Collins was hired.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Malzahn's been on thin ice for 3-4 years, lose at home to a wounded Bama squad may push him out the door. I think even he knows to stay clear of Arkansas. Muschamp survives another year because of his crazy buyout. Moorehead could be headed to Rutgers after their Schiano talks collapsed after his rediculous demands. Moorehead is from that area I think.

Meanwhile, EKU fires their coach after back to back 7 win seasons. Must be more to that story as 7 wins is about the best EKU can hope for.

And one time coaching superstar Charlie Strong is about to finish a 4-8 campaign at USF after discovering life after Clint Hurtt and Miami street agents can be tough. Don't know about hot seat for him and since only about 20 people attend their games don't know if anybody really cares.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I don't buy Malzahn headed to Arkansas...if Auburn isn't getting by Alabama and LSU Arkansas doesn't have the recruiting footprint to do it either. He's in a better slot by two spots in the standings every year. Norvel seems like an obvious fit to me in Fayetteville.

Moorhead is rumored to be disenchanted with MS State so his leaving isn't a stretch; I have no idea why South Carolina hired Muschamp to begin with.

I don't buy Malzahn headed to Arkansas...if Auburn isn't getting by Alabama and LSU Arkansas doesn't have the recruiting footprint to do it either. He's in a better slot by two spots in the standings every year. Norvel seems like an obvious fit to me in Fayetteville.

Moorhead is rumored to be disenchanted with MS State so his leaving isn't a stretch; I have no idea why South Carolina hired Muschamp to begin with.

8-4 at Arkansas wouldn’t get him fired like 8-4 at Auburn will though. Auburn’s crossover opponent every year is Georgia while Arkansas gets Missouri. That said, I don’t think many Arkansas fans want him. Too similar to Morris and he couldn’t get Auburn talent here.

Lane Kiffin seems to be the favorite right now for Arkansas with Justin Fuente a darkhorse, been on the hot seat at VT but still could go 8-4 this year which isn’t bad. He grew up 2 hours outside of Fayetteville in Tulsa. Barry Switzer recommended Mike Leach but I don’t think our administration is serious about him. Norvell seems to be holding out for FSU.

That’s what they all say unless they are willing to cut bait mid-season. In the SEC, buyouts have become rounding errors. At worst, you may have to delay a facility project for a year or so. And with the impending TV negotiations and realignment on the horizon, you may not even have to do that.
What kind of realignment do you think will happen?

All three "M" coaches have reached the top ten this week in the Coaches Hot Seat, and you can add a 4th M as in Mason.

But Barry Odem leads the pack and has solidly tied up the #2 spot next only to Tom Herman.

I think Morehead gets another year as well as Mason, but when I saw that 90% empty stadium in Columbia last week, with the loss to UT, I think Odem is now a dead man walking.

The Coaches Hotseat

Gus has lost to teams that are a combined 30-3, two of them the top 5 teams and Florida number 11, it's going to be hard to get rid of him even if they lose to Alabama. Auburn has the 10th ranked class coming in right now with the potential to move up more. I'm not sure who else could do any better and I think his buyout is huge. There is a lot to consider when thinking about letting him go right now. Moorhead is the most likely to leave in my opinion, whoever replaces him must face the toughest schedule in the land just in the SEC west, then hope to get the weakest two teams in the east just to think you have a chance.

Gus has lost to teams that are a combined 30-3, two of them the top 5 teams and Florida number 11, it's going to be hard to get rid of him even if they lose to Alabama. Auburn has the 10th ranked class coming in right now with the potential to move up more. I'm not sure who else could do any better and I think his buyout is huge. There is a lot to consider when thinking about letting him go right now. Moorhead is the most likely to leave in my opinion, whoever replaces him must face the toughest schedule in the land just in the SEC west, then hope to get the weakest two teams in the east just to think you have a chance.

The problem is they could be 0-4 against those teams and that dog won’t hunt on the plains.

And the MSU fans are disenchanted with him. There are five guys off last year’s team that are NFL starters and he went 8-5. Mullen would have won 10 with that team with one arm tied behind his back.

I admire Auburn’s desire to be like Alabama is, but it can go terribly wrong if they don’t hire the perfect guy. I’d just try to ride out this wave of Bama dominance with Malzahn. He’s shown he can beat them occasionally. I just can’t think of a coach they could get that would do a whole lot better than him.

You know what the say about fans of those teams who wear their colors with pride?

Auburn fans went to Auburn.

Alabama fans went to Wal-Mart.

You know what the say about fans of those teams who wear their colors with pride?

Auburn fans went to Auburn.

Alabama fans went to Wal-Mart.
Malzahn’s buyout would cost around $33 million with his staff included. If Auburn wants to pay $33 million to fire Malzahn to then hire Mike Norvell or PJ Fleck I’m not sure what to tell them. That seems like an awful idea to me.

Malzahn’s buyout would cost around $33 million with his staff included. If Auburn wants to pay $33 million to fire Malzahn to then hire Mike Norvell or PJ Fleck I’m not sure what to tell them. That seems like an awful idea to me.
My thoughts exactly. Theres no guarantee that a Norvell or Fleck would do any better in the SECw. Expensive and dumb risk.

I don't see it.

-Muschamp is coming back. They already know they're losing to Clemson and they're bringing him back anyway.
-If I'm Malzahn, I go to arkansas. Get some buyout money from Auburn and re-start the clock in Fayetteville. Don't get me wrong, I think Arkansas is one of the worst jobs in the SEC. Walmart and Jerry Jones money is good, but they're going to lose to A&M, Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year. The natives still have delusions about yesteryear when they were battling Texas as top 5 teams (similar to the Ole Myth complex), so they're mad when you don't compete for titles. It would take two of the west's big four to fall on hard times in order for arkansas to be successful. With that said, Malzahn is from there and can get a fat new contract to further enrich himself and his family. Why not?
-I don't think MSU will fire moorhead, but he is a terrible fit there. He wasted a lot of good talent last year and it ain't gonna get any better.

If all three lose this weekend, all three get fired.

The Moorhead deal is a bad fit. They’ve been on him ever since that debacle in Lexington.

There are big boosters at Auburn who have wanted Malzahn out for several years and with Arkansas open, the timing is good for Gus.

And unless SC pulls off a miracle, they can’t afford to keep Muschamp who will likely be the next patient to check into the Nick Saban halfway house for fired coaches.
I can see all those, especially the Malzahn one.

Walmart and Jerry Jones money is good, but they're going to lose to A&M, Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year.

Not necessarily with a good coach. Bama is a given (and maybe LSU is now) but before Bielema and Morris Arkansas had an 11-13 record against Auburn. They were very competitive in the series. Arkansas and A&M have also gone into OT more often than not and that game is usually decided by a TD or less. I just don’t see A&M being more than an 8-4 team in the SEC. Even Bielema blew LSU out twice. Under Nutt and Petrino, LSU led that series 8-6. Pretty competitive as well. The issue now is Arkansas isn’t beating anyone, not just those teams, because of awful coaching.

All four of those teams aren’t going to be great every year.

Gus has done pretty well at AU. But the thing that chaps the Aubies rear is he is 6-15 against their 2 biggest rivals, instate Bama and UGA. The instate thing goes without saying, but without Georgia kids they would be Tulane in football and East Alabama Junior college without Georgia kids in academics. It is the fallback school for the state's of Alabam, North Florida and North Georgia. As SOS once said, the library at AU burned to the ground and destroyed both their coloring books.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT