ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K vs. John Calipari coaching NBA All-Star talent. The results might surprise you.

Donut will never make another Final Four let alone win a National Championship.

He will go down as the coach who accomplished the least with the most IMO.

Dean Smith would coach circles around Cow.
The great innovator who stalled the ball so much that the TV folks made the ncaa go to a shot clock!! He was a joke of a coach and one of the biggest cheats ever. He invented the “CAROLINA WAY” what a joke!!

I think Cal bought too much into the mindset he talked about around just concentrating on his team. When you get deep in the tourney you get good teams that you have to gameplan and adjust for even if you are the superior team. 2015 is sadly a example...K went small with Winslow at the 4 while we tried to just bully people with size and were prone to spread teams in ND and UW.

We all know Coach K had talent. Lots of talent. But how many NBA All-Stars did he have?

Laettner made one All-Star team.
Grant Hill made a bunch of appearances.
Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.
As is Ingram, Kyrie, and obviously Tatum.

That's it. 9 NBA All-Stars over the course of a Duke career that spanned through four decades. *** It should also be noted that only three of these players played more than two seasons at Duke, so the argument about "Well yeah, but Coach K had senior teams" doesn't really apply to the vast majority of his NBA All-Stars.

So how many does Cal have? Additionally, how many will he have coached when it's all said and done?

Presently, Calipari coached

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

That's 10. That's more than Coach K, and only one natty to show for it.

Even if you take out Coach K's senior-dominated teams from the 90s (for fairness sake), and only count titles in the OAD ERA, Coach K still has two titles to Cal's one, and during that span, Cal has had 10 NBA All-Stars to Coach K's 4.

The saddest thing about this is that Calipari will probably end up with 3 or 4 MORE NBA All-Stars when it's all said and done. Murray and Maxey are right on the cusp of becoming All-Stars; in fact, Murray would have been one this year if he had been healthy. Then there's Johnson, Herro, and soon guys like Edwards and possibly even someone like Wagner. I think it's safe to say that when Cal finally retires, his college coaching career will have included coaching no less than 12, and probably 13, NBA All-Stars.

By the way, Dean Smith leads all coaches with 12 NBA All-Stars.

Even the ole overrated UNC Coach managed to win at least two titles.

Will Cal get there?
If you don't understand that freshmen aren't the same as a senior then that's on you.

Oh good it's one of my favorite thing this board does, pretend NBA all stars were NBA all stars while in college, and didn't develop any skills at the next level.

Bam wasn't an all star until he'd been in the league three years. Took Fox six years, SGA five, Randle seven, KAT three, Booker five, Wall four, and Cousins five. All of these guys clearly developed their game a ton in the NBA.

Counting the number of NBA all stars any college coach has had and evaluating college coaching success based on that is literally meaningless.
Saying overwhelming talent is meaningless also.
Complain about senior led teams is the only way to win
Then the next sentence talk about how cal had more talent than anyone lol

I'm not disagreeing that we should have more titles. I do think people:

1. put too much emphasis on ideas like "well we had x amount of 5 stars and y amount of NBA players that means we should have done x" (we've clearly seen that these things don't translate to tournament success in college basketball as a whole), and
2. underestimate the fact that you have to win 6 games in a row in the tournament and even if you're the best team by far you're still going to have a 20-25% chance to win it all AT THE MOST in a given year. This is why I have an issue with people saying we've "sucked" since 2015 when the only difference between missing the final four and 2017 and 2019, and making it in 2011 and 2014, was one individual shot.

My fault with Cal isn't really surrounding the fact we only have one title (although it is unfortunate) because I think the tournament is so random once you get to the later rounds, you can really lose to anyone regardless of coaching or any one individual thing. My issue is more the fact that we haven't even been one of those teams with a chance to win it all at the end for the past few years and it's just been a consistent downtrend
This is a great post. Thank you. Wish more people could think this rationally instead of blathering on and on about who coached the most NBA All Stars and they should have won more.

Reactions: jbne222
We all know Coach K had talent. Lots of talent. But how many NBA All-Stars did he have?

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

That's it. 9 NBA All-Stars over the course of a Duke career that spanned through four decades. *** It should also be noted that only three of these players played more than two seasons at Duke, so the argument about "Well yeah, but Coach K had senior teams" doesn't really apply to the vast majority of his NBA All-Stars.

So how many does Cal have? Additionally, how many will he have coached when it's all said and done?

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Even if you take out Coach K's senior-dominated teams from the 90s (for fairness sake), and only count titles in the OAD ERA, Coach K still has two titles to Cal's one, and during that span, Cal has had 10 NBA All-Stars to Coach K's 4.

The saddest thing about this is that Calipari will probably end up with 3 or 4 MORE NBA All-Stars when it's all said and done. Murray and Maxey are right on the cusp of becoming All-Stars; in fact, Murray would have been one this year if he had been healthy. Then there's Johnson, Herro, and soon guys like Edwards and possibly even someone like Wagner. I think it's safe to say that when Cal finally retires, his college coaching career will have included coaching no less than 12, and probably 13, NBA All-Stars.

Will Cal get there?
I am not sure why you thought anyone would be surprised by the results.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
The great innovator who stalled the ball so much that the TV folks made the ncaa go to a shot clock!! He was a joke of a coach and one of the biggest cheats ever. He invented the “CAROLINA WAY” what a joke!!
Cal needed the top 2 picks in the draft to win his lone championship.
And he couldn’t make the FF with Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, and Patterson.

If he doesn’t win another NC he will go down in history as doing the least with the most.
And no way he wins another. He will never make a FF again either.

If he doesn’t win another NC he will go down in history as doing the least with the most.

He’s not winning another title but a lot of bad coaches have made final fours so i won’t count that out.

Hubert Davis is not a good basketball coach and was REAL close to winning the whole thing last season.

Kevin Ollie was let go like 3 seasons after winning a title. John Brady and Paul Hewitt were mostly awful and made final fours.

So yeah, just about anyone can get lucky and make a final four.

Here's something to consider when comparing Cal to older coaches. Coach K and Dean Smith didn't spend their entire careers in an era when 64+ teams made the NCAA Tournament. Today it feels like almost any team with a heartbeat can make the Big Dance.

I understand what the OP is saying but how many all-stars did Jay Wright produce while coaching and winning titles at Villanova?

He’s not winning another title but a lot of bad coaches have made final fours so i won’t count that out.

Hubert Davis is not a good basketball coach and was REAL close to winning the whole thing last season.

Kevin Ollie was let go like 3 seasons after winning a title. John Brady and Paul Hewitt were mostly awful and made final fours.

So yeah, just about anyone can get lucky and make a final four.
I know anyone can get lucky and make it to the FF. But with the transfer portal, CCC can’t have the overwhelming talent that he’s used to.
I think his coaching is just too mediocre to ever make the FF again.
He’s lost to Tom Crean, Bruce Weber, Puddin Tang in the NCAAT since 2015.

He will never make another FF and I’ve been saying this for 6 years now and he keeps proving me correct.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You sure that the reason for the shot clock wasn’t “stall ball” Yates at UC when we played them in 1983 and the final score of the game was 24-11!

Reactions: ukjenning44
I know anyone can get lucky and make it to the FF. But with the transfer portal, CCC can’t have the overwhelming talent that he’s used to.
I think his coaching is just too mediocre to ever make the FF again.
He’s lost to Tom Crean, Bruce Weber, Puddin Tang in the NCAAT since 2015.

He will never make another FF and I’ve been saying this for 6 years now and he keeps proving me correct.

It’s unfortunate. You’re probably right. I certainly wouldn’t put money on us.

You sure that the reason for the shot clock wasn’t “stall ball” Yates at UC when we played them in 1983 and the final score of the game was 24-11!
The Duke UNC game years ago was 7-0 at half time game had no stoppage. The networks paying good money for these games. No ads were ran that game had a bunch to do with shot clock. Dean ran 4 corners a lot. Yates did that special for UK that game about killed us scheduling them!!

Wall, Cousins, Randle, KAT and Fox were absolute ballers in college. Stars & team leaders.

Booker and SGA were very good players who scored in double digits and could go off for 20+ on any given night.

Not sure what exactly is the pro-CCC argument here...? And yeah, it's true, only Triple C could put those teams together. What is also true is this: only CCC could manage NOT to go 40-0 with the 2014-2015 team or NOT to win a title with the 2009-2010 team.
The pro-CCC argument boils down to, “NUH UHHH!”

Funny you say this, because there are actually advanced analytics that completely back up this statement. Between 2010-2020 the most overachieving coach in the NCAA tournament based on those analytics was Cal. One of the most underachieving was K.

This board just doesn't understand the tournament. That 2015 team, despite being undefeated going into the tournament, only had a 41% chance of winning it all. Normally the top overall seed has around a 25% chance. And I believe over the last twenty years or so the top overall seed has only won it all like three times (I've looked this up in the past but I'm not doing it again). Winning a title, even when your team is stacked, is really hard.
How has he overachieved when he has 1 title for the enormous amount of talent he has coached? By that I mean 5 stars, All-Americans, top recruiting classes, first round draft picks .

Last edited:

Didn't k actually do the least with the most? He had #1,#2,3 of the 2018 class and failed

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Will Cal get there?
Its amazing that guys become great all stars, once basketball is their full time job AND they have matured past 18-19 years old.
Funny how that works
JUST SAYIN’

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Will Cal get there?
What a Garbage biased malicious illogical post.
I'm so tired of the misinformation posted here.

Coach K - 42 years at Dook
Dean Smith - 36 years at UNC
Cal - 15 years at UK

Dook and UNC were Powers BEFORE K and Dean.
Cal has disappointed all of us lately, but just shut up this bull crap.

K has 5 National Championships
2 of them came when Cal pissed down his leg with the best team in college basketball 2010 and 2015
If you haven't noticed a lot of these top coaches "piss down their leg" in march. It's hard to win no matter how great your team is

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Will Cal get there?
Wall, Cousins, Randle, KAT and Fox were absolute ballers in college. Stars & team leaders.

Booker and SGA were very good players who scored in double digits and could go off for 20+ on any given night.

Not sure what exactly is the pro-CCC argument here...? And yeah, it's true, only Triple C could put those teams together. What is also true is this: only CCC could manage NOT to go 40-0 with the 2014-2015 team or NOT to win a title with the 2009-2010 team.
No coach in the history of college basketball has had as much NBA All-Star talent in such a short period of time as Calipari has had at Kentucky. And ONLY 1 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

There used to be a joke. Who was the only person that could hold Michael Jordon to under 20 points a game?..... Answer, Dean Smith......... I guess we can now ask the question. Who was the only person that could hold Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to under 20 points a game?.... Answer, John Calipari.

Such an embarrassment of riches that Calipari has had here
9 NBA All-Stars
5 Olympic Gold Medalists
7 of his ex UK players has had an NBA game with 50 or more points
16 of his ex UK players has had an NBA game with 40 or more points

Anyone else would be embarrassed by this. But it's like that Calipari is immune from shame.

No coach in the history of college basketball has had as much NBA All-Star talent in such a short period of time as Calipari has had at Kentucky. And ONLY 1 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

There used to be a joke. Who was the only person that could hold Michael Jordon to under 20 points a game?..... Answer, Dean Smith......... I guess we can now ask the question. Who was the only person that could hold Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to under 20 points a game?.... Answer, John Calipari.

9 NBA All-Stars
5 Olympic Gold Medalists

Anyone else would be embarrassed by this. But it's like that Calipari is immune from shame.
Indeed; and the argument is that these guys weren't that good under Cal.

Almost all of them were all-freshmen team or All-SEC level players.

Were they what they became in the league? Of course not, but they were good enough to be lottery picks and only Booker was drafted on potential, where as the rest of them - Wall, Cousins, Knight, Davis, MKG, Randle, Towns, Lyles, WCS, Fox, Monk, Bam, SGA, etc. - were drafted on actual production AND potential.

The Cal Cult is running out of Kool-Aide.

They're in the bunker now.

Indeed; and the argument is that these guys weren't that good under Cal.

Almost all of them were all-freshmen team or All-SEC level players.

Were they what they became in the league? Of course not, but they were good enough to be lottery picks and only Booker was drafted on potential, where as the rest of them - Wall, Cousins, Knight, Davis, MKG, Randle, Towns, Lyles, WCS, Fox, Monk, Bam, SGA, etc. - were drafted on actual production AND potential.

The Cal Cult is running out of Kool-Aide.

They're in the bunker now.

What i’ve noticed on HoB about the staunchest of Calipari apologists is that most of them (not all but most), have a join date of late march 2009 or later.

And quite a few of them only showed up in the last few years.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The Duke UNC game years ago was 7-0 at half time game had no stoppage. The networks paying good money for these games. No ads were ran that game had a bunch to do with shot clock. Dean ran 4 corners a lot. Yates did that special for UK that game about killed us scheduling them!!

WOW. Impressed you brought that one up, my 85 year old Aunt still brings up that game to this day every now and then when we talk during the season and I always remind her it was 1979 and Jim Spanarkles Senior Day at Cameron. Duke was pre-season # 1 in the Country having returned just about everybody from the 1978 team and Carolina as usual was good and highly ranked. I think both were in the top 10-13 the day of the game. Dean Smith decides to pull that damn BS stunt and they held the ball 10-12 minutes. The crowd was in a booing frenzy and Duke had scored a few times to make it 7-0 at the half. Second half Dean lets them play actual basketball and each team scores 40 points so it was a 47-40 Duke win. (smh)

A very infamous game.

WOW. Impressed you brought that one up, my 85 year old Aunt still brings up that game to this day every now and then when we talk during the season and I always remind her it was 1979 and Jim Spanarkles Senior Day at Cameron. Duke was pre-season # 1 in the Country having returned just about everybody from the 1978 team and Carolina as usual was good and highly ranked. I think both were in the top 10-13 the day of the game. Dean Smith decides to pull that damn BS stunt and they held the ball 10-12 minutes. The crowd was in a booing frenzy and Duke had scored a few times to make it 7-0 at the half. Second half Dean lets them play actual basketball and each team scores 40 points so it was a 47-40 Duke win. (smh)

A very infamous game.
You know the TV executives had to be crying over the lost money. I don’t blame them.

Reactions: Neue Regel

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Will Cal get there?
This is true but one of those titles occurred when Cal and Co lost in the Final Four to Wisconsin for their only loss of the season and I’m not about to criticize a coach who only lost one game all year long. Especially when that loss didn’t occur until the Final Four.

Had Kentucky won that matchup they would have ROLLED Duke in the Finals and we all know that. That was a title of fortune, not of skill, for K.

9 NBA All-Stars
5 Olympic Gold Medalists

Well Shai has had two nba seasons under 20 so I guess you can’t say that for Shai like it has been said for MJ .

All stars yes, titles no
ESPN and the media/officials worshiped K and Dean Smith. All three of those entities despise Calipari. Especially officials. He Screams nonstop at them and several ( Higgins Ayer’s Valentine ) loath him. He will never get thru 6 tournament games without a fair whistle.

Oh good it's one of my favorite thing this board does, pretend NBA all stars were NBA all stars while in college, and didn't develop any skills at the next level.

Bam wasn't an all star until he'd been in the league three years. Took Fox six years, SGA five, Randle seven, KAT three, Booker five, Wall four, and Cousins five. All of these guys clearly developed their game a ton in the NBA.

Counting the number of NBA all stars any college coach has had and evaluating college coaching success based on that is literally meaningless.
This. Also laettener was a great college player so acting like he doesn’t matter because he did it kill it in the nba is silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT