ADVERTISEMENT

CMS complaining about NIL publicly

People discussing Stoops’ salary are totally missing the point. (Salaries are ludicrous, but are the result of huge television contracts.)

The point of focus is, how does UK remain relevant and have a chance to climb the proverbial ladder into competing for a chance to get into 12 team CFP? (You can replace Stoops’ name with any future UK coach.)

We were told by people close to the program the NIL $ given to players over the last couple of years was a bandaid and not sustainable. Stoops seems to be confirming that assessment. He knows he has to have a constant pipeline of $ to Retain players and Recruit players. Who thought fundraising would ever be a coach’s top priority???

Ky will always be a a difficult place to raise funds as compared to many other SEC schools. ADs who are innovative with staffing (GM type role for both sports) and NIL will help their programs leap frog others. Schools who fall behind in this area will get jumped over by other programs.

I like both Stoops and Mitch. But, it sounds like Stoops is making his appeal public to put some pressure on MB. Coaching changes usually set programs back. The new transfer rules would cause UK to lose 40-50 players if Stoops left.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
People discussing Stoops’ salary are totally missing the point. (Salaries are ludicrous, but are the result of huge television contracts.)

The point of focus is, how does UK remain relevant and have a chance to climb the proverbial ladder into competing for a chance to get into 12 team CFP? (You can replace Stoops’ name with any future UK coach.)

We were told by people close to the program the NIL $ give to players over the last couple of years was a bandaid and not sustainable. Stoops seems to be confirming that assessment. He knows he has to have a constant pipe flow of $ to Retain players and Recruit players. Who thought fundraising would ever be a coach’s top priority???

Ky will always be a a difficult place to raise funds as compared to many other SEC schools. ADs who are innovative with staffing (GM type role for both sports) and NIL will help their programs leap frog others. Schools who fall behind in this area will get jumped over by other programs.

I like both Stoops and Mitch. But, it sounds like Stoops is making his appeal public to put some pressure on MB. Coaching changes usually set programs back. The new transfer rules would cause UK to lose 40-50 players if Stoops left.
Most of the time people have to choose one narrative or the other but often two things can be true. I believe Stoops is overpaid but it has nothing to do with fundraising and Barnhart has been terrible at fundraising. He's been content with managing increasing tv contracts he's had little to do with generating and has largely just left fundraising to whether coaches develop relationships themselves. That's not how it's done across the SEC or many places anywhere.

Well then I would supposed that those judging those comments don't understand the workload or the stress that comes along the job.

That is a tough sell to a parent who is working 2 jobs to just survive. That said, I would not want to be a college football coach. The hours seem ridiculous, especially if you have a family. But, that was known before NIL.

Coaches can and do donate to other programs NIL packages (Pitino to UK Football NIL), but not to their
It’s pretty easy solution for a guy making over $9 million a year. He donates $1 million to Oklahoma State basketball and the OSU coach donates $1 million to UK football.

Most of the time people have to choose one narrative or the other but often two things can be true.
I agree with most of what you write. The belief Stoops is overpaid is similar to saying several NFL QBs are overpaid. (Teams realize some of these non top 2-3 QBs are NOT overpaid when they find themselves drafting a new QB every 2-3 years.) Schools like Fla, Tn, Ark, Aub, MSU, etc... are all struggling because they don't have coaching stability. (One team out that group may have found a stable coach.) The other 3 will be starting the coaching cycle again in the next 1-2 years. You can probably add Beamer to the list. I don't mind paying extra for stability ... especailly when it's not my money and UK is reaping SEC television revenue.

However, we agree the point is the new NIL environment requires new methods. Sure, the HC will always be the front man and maybe even the closer on larger NIL gifts. However, he shouldn't be the point person for NIL. ADs need to build relationships and have some executive staff members who work exclusively with fundraising. No one likes the NIL environment, but it's now the way the game is played.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Wonder how UGA does it? I’m sure Kirby is involved but has a GM or somebody within the athletics department doing the fund raising for their top revenue sport.

If he fund raises well, coaching will be easier.
Exactly the problem. In major college sports, we are on the poor side of the tracks. That means he's effectively banging his head against the wall, in perpetude.

Since everyone wants access with their large donations, Stoops has to eg then play buddy, all the while losing ground against the richer programs.

It's an act of futility and would have to be demoralizing and exhausting. Someone needs to explain this to that idiot Aaron Torres who now thinks less of Stoops.

Lots of things being said here and oddly enough almost everyone is correct. Saban retired, several coaches have went to the NFL, Crazy money being offered to HS kids who may not every even start a game, one kid in particular was demanding 10k just for a visit. No coach wants to have to deal with kids like that, but when he is the top recruit at his position he demands it and enough pay that he can visit somewhere every weekend. Lots demand between 1 and 5k just to visit. Then there is the kids who can't wait to see their worth when they have a good season and hit the portal, and can do that multiple times it seems. And yuo have other teams tampering with your team. Coach's will admit it's going on, but they won't name a coach who is tampering, most likely because he is too. Just part of the game it has become. The AD is a fundraiser, but he has other duties that require fundraising, the new IDPF at UK cost money, all the minor non profit sports require funds. No matter how minor the sport, not one here wants a UK athletic team to show up in an old smoking bus and playing their sport in uniforms that should have been donated to the homeless. In a major program like most SEC programs with multiple non profit sports they have to be taken care of too. And I know first hand coaches don't like to be fundraisers, but sometimes you have to do it or you end up doing without, I can't speak for all SEC programs, but Kirby, who makes 13m isn't slacking when it comes to asking fans to donate to NIL.

Stoops will be gone in 2 or 3 years. Barnhart better start vetting replacements. I'd take Sumrall from Troy in a heartbeat.

Stoops just doesn’t feel like he has the energy for the job anymore. If he’s expecting to just coach some kind of big traditional school with a ton of donors already in place then he’s dreaming. He’s going to have to do the legwork. This isn’t Alabama, Ohio State etc with a bunch of donor infrastructure already in place. If you don’t have the energy to deal with a job like Kentucky then you don’t need to be here. You’re the 8th highest paid coach in the country, come on. There are coaches with far less doing more because they choose to run creative offenses and be aggressive. You’re not going to out-Alabama, Alabama with athletes at Kentucky. It seems like Kiffin and Drinkwitz have realized that. Stoops, not so much.

I mean, he should dang well know that at Kentucky you’re going to have to be creative and innovative. Look at programs that punch above their weight, that’s how they do it. If he can’t win without a blue blood NIL budget then he’s not the coach for Kentucky because we’re never going to have that money. That doesn’t mean we can’t have a top 25 program on a yearly basis though. We can absolutely have a program like Ole Miss or what Mizzou is looking like it’s turning into. There’s absolutely no reason why Kentucky can’t do that, but we need a coach that has some energy and creativity and doesn’t point the finger at someone else every time he fails.

Stoops will be gone in 2 or 3 years. Barnhart better start vetting replacements. I'd take Sumrall from Troy in a heartbeat.
Jon Sumrall is HC at Tulane.

On face value I might agree re Stoops but he's recruiting defensive players like he has plans to go nowhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT