ADVERTISEMENT

Clifford Omoruyi vs. Somto Cyril

G-PIP

Senior
Mar 14, 2014
From my memory, when Omoruyi (who is now in the portal) was being recruited by UK out of high school the descriptions of his skill set and physical prowess seemed similar to what Cyril’s is now. But Omoruyi is now a senior with 4 years of Div. I experience. So, how much better do you think Omoruyi would be than Cyril next season as our tough/strong-man/power type Center, and would the fact that Cyril seems to be a multi-year guy weigh the decision more in his favor?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Watched Rutgers a few times just to see this guy. Plays hard, but still raw. Blocks a few shots and gets a few rebounds, but very little offense

Reactions: G-PIP
Watched Rutgers a few times just to see this guy. Plays hard, but still raw. Blocks a few shots and gets a few rebounds, but very little offense
Appreciate the feedback from somebody who’s watched Omoruyi a little this season. Sounds like he hasn’t developed a whole lot offensively from how I think he was describe coming out of high school. But the descriptions of Cyril offensively sound similar, right? Just something for discussion.

I don't see either one as a solution UNLESS they are surrounded by FOUR quality shooters!!! Otherwise it's just see zones and clog the lane.

Clifford to stay four years at powerhouse Rutgers says something about his abilities or his confidence in his abilities....
His best season was not his Senior year, he actually slid back stat wise....
CO will be 23 come Midnight Madness....
In his last 5-games this season (1-win/ 4-losses, all by double digits) he averaged 8.8-pts/ 6.8-rbs/ 1.6-blks/ 2.6-fouls/ 24-mpg....
Against the better opponents/ big men (12-games) that Rutgers faced this year, he averaged 8.9-pts/ 7.7-rbs/ 3.1-blk/ 27.3-mpg....
His averages this year are comparable to UGO's once minutes played and shots taken are equalized. So he had UGO stats as a Senior....

Reactions: G-PIP
I think Cliff would be a good get if the other 4 players can shoot. I think we need to lose 2 recruits and replace everything we lose with portal guys. We need a guy like Clif at the 5 to rebound and protect the rim. Then we need portal guards and/wings who can shoot and defend with at least one portal point guard if Reed doesn’t return.

But if we bring in all 6 of these recruits I don’t have much optimism for next season. That’s half the roster filled with brick laying freshmen.

Reactions: Fox2monk
From my memory, when Omoruyi (who is now in the portal) was being recruited by UK out of high school the descriptions of his skill set and physical prowess seemed similar to what Cyril’s is now. But Omoruyi is now a senior with 4 years of Div. I experience. So, how much better do you think Omoruyi would be than Cyril next season as our tough/strong-man/power type Center, and would the fact that Cyril seems to be a multi-year guy weigh the decision more in his favor?
You take Cliff and it’s not even close. That dude is a man.

I don't see either one as a solution UNLESS they are surrounded by FOUR quality shooters!!! Otherwise it's just see zones and clog the lane.

Clifford to stay four years at powerhouse Rutgers says something about his abilities or his confidence in his abilities....
His best season was not his Senior year, he actually slid back stat wise....
CO will be 23 come Midnight Madness....
In his last 5-games this season (1-win/ 4-losses, all by double digits) he averaged 8.8-pts/ 6.8-rbs/ 1.6-blks/ 2.6-fouls/ 24-mpg....
Against the better opponents/ big men (12-games) that Rutgers faced this year, he averaged 8.9-pts/ 7.7-rbs/ 3.1-blk/ 27.3-mpg....
His averages this year are comparable to UGO's once minutes played and shots taken are equalized. So he had UGO stats as a Senior....
He is so much better than Ugo defensively all over the court it’s not funny, he can also dunk a ball from 3 feet without blocking himself.

Cliff is exactly the kind of dude you expect Somto to turn into.

As long as Somto realizes he needs to develop it's not a conflict. He's not ready to contribute now, Cliff is. Cliff will be gone by the time Somto is ready.

Ideally anyway, but we all know how that will go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT