ADVERTISEMENT

Classy move by DJ Jeffries

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
Memphis is cool for a three day visit, but you’re right, no one wants to move there.

Speaking of moving, my Wife and I will be Lexingtonians officially on Monday. Super pumped about it.
All of those numerous drives after every home football and basketball game to Northern Ky will be something I won’t miss.
Congrats!

Reactions: kev69
Or douchy. Depending on how you look at it.
I'm a pretty positive person by nature and that's kinda how it came off to me as well.

Just reads like it's a little salty.

Even a "bro/fam/etc" makes it read more genuine. Or some emojis or something Bc that's how kids talk these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Wow. Yeah, we’ve lived in Union for 20+ years. Officially will be moving into our house in Andover on Monday.

I’ve already become familiar with Harry’s Patio Bar. It’s just a couple of miles from the house, or a $6 Uber Ride.

I live in Florence just bought a house.......... LOL

Reactions: kev69
I live in Florence/Union as well! I live in the neighborhood over from Hempstead Cheshire Ridge or South Hampton. I am also an assistant coach for the boys team at Ryle. I didn’t know there was so many nky people on here.

Considering there is about half a million people in the area of Kentucky that is part of the Cincinnati metro area, I’m going to say there are nearly as many as there is actually from Lexington.

The AD and prez have taken focus off the bball and put on football.

In a way you can't blame them since football brings in much more revenue than basketball. I'm not trying to turn this into a football vs. basketball debate, especially not on a UK basketball board, but from everything I've read, this is what I've come to find out.

How is the murder rate, I haven't watched first 48 in a minute and it seemed like Memphis was always in the middle of it.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/02/21/americas-25-murder-capitals-3/5/

Can't speak for last year, but 2016 had 30 murders per 100,000 in Memphis. Not to knock Memphis too much, but it's quite common to see it on lists of 'most dangerous cities' in the U.S. It may not be quite as bad as St. Louis or Detroit, but it's got a lot or problems.

Downtown Memphis/Beal Street is a blast if you are into BBQ and blues music. I have been there 10 plus times and always had fun. Peabody Hotel, Sun Records, Graceland, etc. are places to see at least once. Just avoid the rough parts of the city at night as you would in Louisville or any big city and you will be fine. That said, I would much rather live in Lexington than Memphis.

Eh, Memphis is compact, it's more dangerous than St. Louis, Louisville, and by far more dangerous than Lexington. Beale Street is really dangerous, most tourist just don't realize it. There are shootings on / near Beal st; just about yearly.

The BBQ, yes. The BBQ shop and Central BBQ are about as good you will get anywhere in the world. There's no denying it even if I wanted to.

Walk anywhere in Memphis assuming you are safe, and you are making a huge mistake. It's a little different than other cities to be honest. Even in St. Louis the police have downtown locked down for tourist. In Memphis I'd rather see a blood than a cop 1/4 of the time. Very corrupt city and not well secured.

I suggest anyone traveling to Memphis carry your gun and take all precautions. There have been many people assume that because they are at a Mall or on Beale St it means secured and safe and many of those people have regretted it. You don't sleep on Mtown, per cap it's probably the most dangerous city in America outside of California cities, Chicago, and Gary Indiana.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
One of my best friends lives in Germantown and works for FedEx. Flaunts UK. Has a Chevy Silverado decked out in UK. License plate, back window, front grill, all UK. Said he’s never had the first problem with Memphis fans.

I can introduce him to plenty that he will have a problem with.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I live in Florence/Union as well! I live in the neighborhood over from Hempstead Cheshire Ridge or South Hampton. I am also an assistant coach for the boys team at Ryle. I didn’t know there was so many nky people on here.
There's a lot of us up here brother.

Eh, Memphis is compact, it's more dangerous than St. Louis, Louisville, and by far more dangerous than Lexington. Beale Street is really dangerous, most tourist just don't realize it. There are shootings on / near Beal st; just about yearly.

The BBQ, yes. The BBQ shop and Central BBQ are about as good you will get anywhere in the world. There's no denying it even if I wanted to.

Walk anywhere in Memphis assuming you are safe, and you are making a huge mistake. It's a little different than other cities to be honest. Even in St. Louis the police have downtown locked down for tourist. In Memphis I'd rather see a blood than a cop 1/4 of the time. Very corrupt city and not well secured.

I suggest anyone traveling to Memphis carry your gun and take all precautions. There have been many people assume that because they are at a Mall or on Beale St it means secured and safe and many of those people have regretted it. You don't sleep on Mtown, per cap it's probably the most dangerous city in America outside of California cities, Chicago, and Gary Indiana.
No doubt, it can have it's rough moments. I did notice last time I went it got a little more rowdy a little earlier than it used to. Maybe I've just been lucky all those years I went.

In a way you can't blame them since football brings in much more revenue than basketball. I'm not trying to turn this into a football vs. basketball debate, especially not on a UK basketball board, but from everything I've read, this is what I've come to find out.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/02/21/americas-25-murder-capitals-3/5/

Can't speak for last year, but 2016 had 30 murders per 100,000 in Memphis. Not to knock Memphis too much, but it's quite common to see it on lists of 'most dangerous cities' in the U.S. It may not be quite as bad as St. Louis or Detroit, but it's got a lot or problems.

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Memphis.

I’ve been to Memphis, 4 times maybe? Never had the hint of trouble. Last time was like 10 years ago, though. Maybe Cal was the only thing holding it together.

It doesn't matter anymore. The UK/ DJ Jeffries ship has sailed and is forever over. It really is sad though, think about this....Cal doesnt hand out offers like other schools. And DJ Jeffries had the opportunity to not only get one from Cal, but was also the first comitt of the class which is a big deal.Usually thats the guy who Cal trusts to lead the class and bring on other guys. UK coaches watched this kid play 17 times in person....17.
So they did not come to his last game, and he decomitts, and his dad goes on a radio/media tour calling out UK and calling them unprofessional. Unbelievable. Calipari is the best of all time recruiting for a reason. And that is because he doesnt promise playing time, and he usually recruits 2 of the top players at each position. (John Wall Eric Bledsoe) (Tyler Ulis Devin Booker) on and on. He does it because he wants an atmosphere of competition in practice. The reason why UK players not only get drafted after 1 year, but, they get soooo much better during that year while playing against awesome players in practice. And its pretty clear that Penny Hardaway got in his ear, and his dads ear. As evident by DJ saying that Penny continues to call and recruit him daily even after he comitts to UK (unproffessional). Penny got to DJ dad, and planted the bug in DJ ear saying watch, they will recruit other forwards and you wont play, you deserve better. Yes, of course we were going to recruit other good players, that why we are Kentucky and are the all time winning program in College Basketball History, and Memphis is garbage, not even a top 25 program, they were only good when Calipari was their coach!!!

So where does this leave DJ Jeffries??? Well, he's never playing for Kentucky, ever, literally ever, like Cal probobly doesnt have his number now. And he's headed to Memphis where he will never be on national tv, never have scouts at his game, he will play in games like Memphis vs South Florida, instead of Kentucky vs Duke. He will be lucky if he gets a shot at the NBA after a 4 year college career, and thats a long shot.

When he plays in games, he will be guarded by the other teams best defender or double teamed, and his stats will suffer. He will have much weaker guards feeding him the ball, and just be on a bad team in general.

At Kentucky, he would have had giards like Ashten Hagans and Tyrese Maxey feeding him, and teamed up with Awesome wing players and centers to take pressure off him.

Oh yea, he would have also had an entire fraternity of former Kentucky players like Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, John Wall, Devin Booker, and many many more and Coach Calipari talking to their NBA team on his behalf. But instead, he now has Memphis, with no one, and Penny who was good in the early 1990's.

Its just sad for the kid, I guarantee you he wanted to play for Kentucky. But his dad and Penny have ruined it. And it didn't have to happen. And now its over. A week ago he was the lead comitt for Kentucky basketball. And now, he is open, most likely headed to Memphis, and will be stuck there for 4 years on a bad team. Anyways, sorry for the rant. But Penny is playing "1980's car salesman mayor in a small town", dirty handshakes, and the whole nine. And he's not even really trying to hide it. DJ is the victim. And he is and will regret it for a long time.

Most of "Memphis" has moved to Southaven and Olive Branch. I go 2 or 3 times a year its the closest large City to where I live and there is a lady in the nursing home whose husband(now deceased) preached in our small rural church for years she loves tomatoes, so I carry her some when I can get that way. I take my grandson along and visit the Pyramid which now houses Pro Bass Shops, its the main attraction at least for me downtown. Memphis has been a grand old Southern City but it has too many problems now and as I said most businesses have fled to Mississippi.

I spent 15 years on the FD in Memphis. Once i got to Memphis, i was shocked. I had just left a military close knit atmosphere. Thought i was moving into the same. Nope. Memphis is the most openly divided city due to racism and, well race. Herrington destroyed the city. And fed that race fire his entire time as Mayor. Many times the feds were coming to get Harrington for being ridiculously corrupt. But stopped. They were afraid people would burn the city down. This was after Waco and Reno wouldn't let them move on the Fords and Herrington. I personally seen Herringtons daughter kill a man in a car accident..she was drunk and at fault. Herrington, the Mayor showed up on the scene and just took over. A year later the man she killed, was at fault. I have a million of stories like that. Herringtons personal Body guard goes to prison for a year, for being in a huge drug ring.She kept her mouth shut. And Herrington rewarded her with a high paying city job once she got out. It was unbelievable how the city was ran. Untouchable is the only word i can think of. I moved to Collierville after a short time living in the city. No one wants to live in that city

Small world! I’ve lived in NKY all my life (except for school at UK) and moved to Cheshire Ridge in 2014. If I could afford to play Lassing all the time I would! Great course. Now a days it’s Golfnow.com or bust for me.
But do they have a Papa Johns?

Memphis may be a rough place now with lots of disenfranchised and hopeless people. It does, however, have a huge place in the shaping of american popular culture with its many contributions to the music scene. Countless blues artist, as well as many rap and hip hop artist, have come out of Memphis. It stands with New Orleans as far as the south goes on that aspect.

One of my best friends lives in Germantown and works for FedEx. Flaunts UK. Has a Chevy Silverado decked out in UK. License plate, back window, front grill, all UK. Said he’s never had the first problem with Memphis fans.
Lol Germantown. No wonder he never had any troubles.

Memphis may be a rough place now with lots of disenfranchised and hopeless people. It does, however, have a huge place in the shaping of american popular culture with its many contributions to the music scene. Countless blues artist, as well as many rap and hip hop artist, have come out of Memphis. It stands with New Orleans as far as the south goes on that aspect.

I’d place Atlanta ahead of NO in that aspect.

Reactions: morgousky
IDK man, NO is bascially the birthplace of american music. Jazz and RNB. that is the base of everything.

Leaving Union on the 17th.... headed to Ft. Thomas. (MUCH closer to work & family)

I'm still thinking we may be relieved when we look back at DJ De-Committing. Dad seems a lot like Lavar 2.0

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT