ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2017

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
I'm not up on the newest class...but I've seen some very talented players. For those who are following it closer, tell me who we are realistically looking at adding and targeting. IT'll be a good change of topic from that 1 remaining 2016 recruit that has dominated this place.

My wishlist is:
Ayton
Young
Porter Jr.

too early to tell really. uk is evaluating guys and will always engage late. i would image the net will be cast pretty wide since we will probably need a lot of guys.

bad news is: the class isnt that good overall. good talents at the top but lacking in depth. also its best talents are wing players. guys 6'5 to 6'8. outside duval and young...i'm not sure there is another PG in the top 30. at C, you have guys like ayton, bamba, and carter. then probably a huge drop off. and bamba is still a bit of a project.

Hamidou Diallo, Trae Young, & Jared Vanderbilt are some early targets that look good. The spring & summer AAU games are usually when Cal hones in on who he really wants so we'll have a clearer picture in a couple months.

G Young
G Diallo
G Scruggs
F Petty
F Wilkes
F Porter
F Vanderbilt
F Richards

That's semi-realistic, though we probably can't sign that many elite SF's.

The good thing is, there are a lot of elite SF's in this class, which has been Cal's Achilles heel according to a lot of people on this board. If he can't land an elite SF in this class, I will be shocked.

too early to tell really. uk is evaluating guys and will always engage late. i would image the net will be cast pretty wide since we will probably need a lot of guys.

bad news is: the class isnt that good overall. good talents at the top but lacking in depth. also its best talents are wing players. guys 6'5 to 6'8. outside duval and young...i'm not sure there is another PG in the top 30. at C, you have guys like ayton, bamba, and carter. then probably a huge drop off. and bamba is still a bit of a project.

All the scouts at EYBL this past weekend said Bamba had a monster weekend and is making a case for #1. He outplayed Ayton in a head to head matchup as well.

We'll have to sign a big class since we'll be losing so much. So it should be our biggest class. So Here's my wish list starting with Ayton being eligible

Trae Young PG
Gary Trent Jr. SG
Hamidou Diallo SG
Michael Porter Jr. SF
Jared Vanderbilt SF/PF
Deandre Ayton C
Mohamed Bamba PF

I'm not big on Scruggs and Petty as neither are good shooters. I DO NOT want another guard who cant shoot. With the class above we'd have one of our best shooting teams, if not THE best.

Reactions: madison1329
I'm not up on the newest class...but I've seen some very talented players. For those who are following it closer, tell me who we are realistically looking at adding and targeting. IT'll be a good change of topic from that 1 remaining 2016 recruit that has dominated this place.

My wishlist is:
Ayton
Young
Porter Jr.
We probably lead for Young, Nick Richards and John Petty. We are behind for the 3 best bigs in Carter, Bamba and Ayton(Duke leads for Carter/Bamba, KU leads for Ayton). Our relationship with Porter appears to be lukewarm at best right now, hopefully that changes.

We probably lead for Young, Nick Richards and John Petty. We are behind for the 3 best bigs in Carter, Bamba and Ayton(Duke leads for Carter/Bamba, KU leads for Ayton). Our relationship with Porter appears to be lukewarm at best right now, hopefully that changes.

Gotta wait to see how things unfold. One scenario is Marques Bolden. If he goes to Duke, I'll say it's highly unlikely they land both Carter/Bamba as I don't see anyway that Bolden is one and done recruit. Trickle down effect. Nick Richards is heavy UK lean. Petty loves UK but UK may wait to see more and this could help him after a poor showing this weekend or he could go the way of Kobi Simmons. Ayton is likely to be Thon Maker 2.0 then go to college--and Self was all over Maker and Cal knew that wasn't happening--remember his infamous comment that Maker's handler Ed Smith shared "Call me when/if you get serious".

Hamidou Diallo loves UK--wait until the visit and offer come--you'll see that UK holds weight in that recruitment and will be in it/if not lead. Jarred Vanderbilt is a MKG type.

Other kids will emerge (at this time a year ago anyone have Wenyen Gabriel and Sacha Killeya Jones pegged for UK?)

Gotta wait to see how things unfold. One scenario is Marques Bolden. If he goes to Duke, I'll say it's highly unlikely they land both Carter/Bamba as I don't see anyway that Bolden is one and done recruit. Trickle down effect. Nick Richards is heavy UK lean. Petty loves UK but UK may wait to see more and this could help him after a poor showing this weekend or he could go the way of Kobi Simmons. Ayton is likely to be Thon Maker 2.0 then go to college--and Self was all over Maker and Cal knew that wasn't happening--remember his infamous comment that Maker's handler Ed Smith shared "Call me when/if you get serious".

Hamidou Diallo loves UK--wait until the visit and offer come--you'll see that UK holds weight in that recruitment and will be in it/if not lead. Jarred Vanderbilt is a MKG type.

Other kids will emerge (at this time a year ago anyone have Wenyen Gabriel and Sacha Killeya Jones pegged for UK?)
Yes things will change but that is where they currently stand. Time is on our side. We will have another great class.

Dont think we're recruiting Ayton now..(grades).Trent you can forget (Duke)..might add the 2 IN kids..
Young PG
Diallo 2G
Petty 2G
Knox SF
Porter Jr. SF
Vanderbilt SF/PF
Bamba PF
Richards C

Thanks for the info Dave!

All the scouts at EYBL this past weekend said Bamba had a monster weekend and is making a case for #1. He outplayed Ayton in a head to head matchup as well.

he is a monster....but in a nerlens noel way. not in a KAT or okafor way. bamba will get you 19 rebounds, probably not 19 points.

he is a monster....but in a nerlens noel way. not in a KAT or okafor way. bamba will get you 19 rebounds, probably not 19 points.
Which in my eyes makes him excellent for a class that has a lot of good wings. Better, in fact, than Ayton, who might have more talent, but tends to want to float away from the basket. Let Bamba anchor the middle and put him with a pair of forwards like Porter and Vanderbilt, and you are loaded.

I may be in a minority but i love pettys game. He may not be a great shooter but he doesnt have bad mechanics.

Which in my eyes makes him excellent for a class that has a lot of good wings. Better, in fact, than Ayton, who might have more talent, but tends to want to float away from the basket. Let Bamba anchor the middle and put him with a pair of forwards like Porter and Vanderbilt, and you are loaded.

not saying he isnt good. not saying he couldnt thrive in a particular system. just saying he isnt an offensive force and after him, ayton, and carter...its slim pickins at the center spot.

My wish list 2017 class, here you go.

pg. Young
sg. Diallo
c. Bamba
sf. Porter
pf/sf. Vanderbilt

My wish list 2017 class, here you go.

pg. Young
sg. Diallo
c. Bamba
sf. Porter
pf/sf. Vanderbilt
Ditto.

I think Vanderbilt is a perfect college 4. He rebounds like a maniac, and plays good D. He's not a great shooter, but he has a ton of versatility to his offensive game. Pair him with someone like Porter, and you have all your bases covered.

Only 4 projections, but they all have Ikechukwu Obiagu at Kentucky. He's actually the first Center to be rated in their rankings as they list Ayton and Bamba at PF. Long way to go obviously.

I think we go hard after Young/Porter (package deal) and Vanderbilt. The key is adding either Ayton or Bamba. Ayton will probably be ineligible unless he goes to Kansas. Unfortunately, I think Duke is ahead of us on Bamba.

I think we go hard after Young/Porter (package deal) and Vanderbilt. The key is adding either Ayton or Bamba. Ayton will probably be ineligible unless he goes to Kansas. Unfortunately, I think Duke is ahead of us on Bamba.
Duke is believed to be the clear leader for Bamba but it's early. The Porter recruitment is perplexing to me. My theory is Cal doesn't believe he can get him and that's why he hasn't spent much time on him. Maybe he will go all out for him now that it seems likely Young will end up a Cat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT