ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Owen Hart was a perfect transitional IC champ who could put on a believable match with a top card guy given the right angle and venue.

I loved Owen, by the way, and still do. He just was what he was

Reactions: GhostVol
While I'm at it with these 1997-98 shows...

How did they fail with Ken Shamrock? He was a can't miss guy. All they had to do was let him beat Rock for the IC title. The extent to which Ken Shamrock was over pre-heel turn was pretty crazy. But that heel turn was one of the most career damaging turns ever devised by a promotion.

I think the issue with Shamrock was, you had Rock and Austin. Like, how high can you push a guy while protecting the two biggest draws in history?

Shamrock probably should have had one WWF title run, though. He was definitely good enough for that, but I think he had a pretty decent career relative to talent/overness

I think the issue with Shamrock was, you had Rock and Austin. Like, how high can you push a guy while protecting the two biggest draws in history?

Shamrock probably should have had one WWF title run, though. He was definitely good enough for that, but I think he had a pretty decent career relative to talent/overness
The thing with Shamrock was he never got another title shot on PPV after the December 1997 show. Never even got a sniff at it. And I don't see why a white hot face Ken Shamrock couldn't have been in that same "Not Austin and Rock but still way over and should be near the top of the card at all times" tier where you had guys like Undertaker and Triple H and Mankind and Kane.

giphy.gif

Honestly didn't know Jim Johnston was still employed with as much work as CFO$ has been doing. Looks like the only ones he's done recently are Baron Corbin and Jinder.

From Squared Circle

From the latest Observer

Matt Hardy, and likely Jeff when he returns, will be doing the broken character, although I believe it will be termed Woken instead of Broken. Anthem has changed its policy regarding intellectual property, some of which is surprising as they stated to Sports Illustrated that “Our new talent agreements all incorporate language that allow talent to continue to use their Impact personas after they leave the company. We are working with our legal team to amend our existing agreements to extend this to all of our current and former talent.” That’s almost unheard of in television. In particular, the agreement with the Hardys is that the Hardys will now retain ownership and all rights to the personas they used in TNA. The story behind it is that the Hardys were able to show financial and contractual digressions which left Anthem in a bad way, and this may be a public saving face for the company of just saying that they are being good guys and will be letting talent keep their gimmicks because of the feeling that it would end up that way based on a precedent that would be set in the Hardys case.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Can't say enough about those early TNA shows. If you want to see pure Vince Russo and Jeff Jarrett insanity without the executive meddling of a Vince McMahon or a Turner TV group, you had it for the first year or so of TNA. You had Jeff Jarrett acting like Steve Austin since he could never be Steve Austin in a real wrestling company, just dishing out unprotected chair shots left and right.

Do you think Ron Truth got good heat at these shows or "we do not like you because you are black" heat?

And a midget with a gun!

Transy: Was Disco Inferno at this show?

Yes, yes that dumb MFer was. He calls Goldie Locks a "hot sexy dumb bitch" and says she will, "show us her naked breasts.”

The damn worst, gang

Did Mick Foley ask that question???

I went to some of those early TNA shows....they were pretty awful

Let me just throw this out here...

F Al Snow forever. I can take "nobody knows how to wrestle or make money in wrestling anymore" from a bunch of people, but not Leif By God Cassidy.

Furthermore...

F Matt and Jeff Hardy forever too. Actions have consequences. They still haven't faced their consequences. Especially Matt for his suicide video from 10 years ago that was all part of an angle. Congrats, bud. Way to work the marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TransyCat09
Let me just throw this out here...

F Al Snow forever. I can take "nobody knows how to wrestle or make money in wrestling anymore" from a bunch of people, but not Leif By God Cassidy.
The thing is, he argues like a damn smark. Yes, making money and drawing business is more important than having "good matches." But he refuses to even accept the idea that "good matches" can draw money. Now, I will definitely argue that modern "good matches" don't draw money, because they are dress-up talent shows put on by in-shape nerds for the affirmation of out-of shape nerds.

BUT he works backwards and says that whatever match drew the house is automatically the best match. Completely ignoring the concept of return business. I mean, Sting vs Hogan sold Starrcade... it also killed the whole damn company.

So to sum up: wrestlers need to have good/believable matches in order to draw money over the long haul, but having the "best" match doesn't guarantee you will draw the most money, Al Snow is a goof, F the Young Bucks

The thing is, he argues like a damn smark. Yes, making money and drawing business is more important than having "good matches." But he refuses to even accept the idea that "good matches" can draw money. Now, I will definitely argue that modern "good matches" don't draw money, because they are dress-up talent shows put on by in-shape nerds for the affirmation of out-of shape nerds.

BUT he works backwards and says that whatever match drew the house is automatically the best match. Completely ignoring the concept of return business. I mean, Sting vs Hogan sold Starrcade... it also killed the whole damn company.

So to sum up: wrestlers need to have good/believable matches in order to draw money over the long haul, but having the "best" match doesn't guarantee you will draw the most money, Al Snow is a goof, F the Young Bucks

Here's the thing - the point of the business is to make money. I understand that very well. But, I'm neither a promoter nor a stockholder.

Then we have the issues of fan preference. Casual fans like Hogan. Wrestling fans like Flair. IWC fans like Bret. Hardcore fans like Foley. (The above is just a metaphor, not trying to debate here.) If all are on the card with different opponents they all draw a portion of the crowd. Here's the rub - there are more casual fans than any other type. Then more wrestling fans, then more IWC,then more hardcore. If the fans in attendance vote with no overlap provided - then it appears that the Hogan match was the reason the house drew. And who knows, for the largest portion of the fanbase it probably was.

I think what I'm saying is this...

I enjoy the matches. I like good matches with athletes that tell a story. However, I'm in a minority. Give most people Reigns or Cena and they'll be happy - especially if they're going up against each other. Where I want AJ-Nakamura, the casuals are like - "Huh"? So, I more or less understand that point, but I just don't want to agree with it because of my point of view.

Meltzer gives that 10 stars!!!

I saw where USA Network is going to air an episode of NXT next Wednesday night at 7:00 as part of WWE Week.

Matt Hary vs. Bray Wyatt in a Final Deletion Match at the Rumble or better yet Wrestlemania...works for me.

However knowing Crazy Grandpa it will be on a random Raw with no build up.

Speaking of Hardy's Jeff is going to be in concert with his band on December 15th at the Madison Theatre in Covington.

Matt Hary vs. Bray Wyatt in a Final Deletion Match at the Rumble or better yet Wrestlemania...works for me.

However knowing Crazy Grandpa it will be on a random Raw with no build up.

Speaking of Hardy's Jeff is going to be in concert with his band on December 15th at the Madison Theatre in Covington.

Yes definitely but I think the build-up/vignettes will probably be better than the match itself.

So HHH pinned Jinder Mahal in India - go figure!
[roll]

I don't know what started WWE's fixation with beating guys in their hometowns. Was it the residual effect of Bret refusing to do the honors in Canada or something? Was it Fall Brawl 1997? All I know is it cracks me up, even if it probably happens to the detriment of the business. "Killing the towns" is the term.

You can take the guy out of the clique...

Crap, he's going to be like Verne Gagne, isn't he. Putting himself over for the title into his 70s.

Reactions: GhostVol
That popped me so much reading HHH essentially booked himself to go over.

HHH has thrown out at any trace of subtlety in his burials between Survivor Series and this. If you're going to do it, just own that shovel and start throwing dirt in faces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT