ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Corny crapped on the Swerve v. Hangman match, liked this retort:
ReViSiOnISt HiStOrY

Some of you are taking this wrestling thing to absurd levels. We can't make fun of an AEW decision but we can make fun of Cornette's marriage and whatever kinks he has because he criticizes AEW on a podcast. Now I know what the Monday Night Wars would've been like under the thumb of social media. FWIW, Cornette goes to absurd levels of name calling and fake hate too but I get nothing out of mocking his marriage or kinks. I don't give a shit about that stuff.

Anyway, I'll probably check out a bit of AEW tonight. Hoping their numbers start to rebound as they're losing tens of thousands during some of their segments. Also saw that WWE insiders think MJF already resigned (he has) and will be with AEW until 2027. I assume this a going to be like a LeBron/Cavs situation. MJF gives years and his 20's to AEW and finally makes the jump after that. I'm cool with that. AEW needs MJF like we need another Final Four run.

ReViSiOnISt HiStOrY
[laughing] Triggered pettiness.
You can criticize AEW until the cows come home. What you CAN'T do is take an imperfection that no one noticed and then blow it WAY out of proportion just because Corny noticed it and spoke on it.
Also, radio silence on Corny's racial epithets from above. Is that really the guy whose opinion you value?

Reactions: GeraldV
Interesting…

There is talk as of late of "renewed interest" from WWE with regards to signing Kazuchika Okada.

“The pitch is that he’s now 36 & he’s close with Nakamura & Nakamura has worked years in WWE & it’s far easier on his body. The idea is that WWE is the one thing Okada has never done & he’s done everything he can do in New Japan. One person who buzzed us about the renewed interest in Okada said that one of the reasons Nakamura is getting a renewed push is to show Okada that this regime is not going to treat Japanese like the stereotypical children-like because Vince does that with people who don’t speak fluent English, but this is a new regime.”

— WON

Here are your competitors for the Continental Classic.

BLUE GROUP
*Andrade el Idolo
*Claudio Castagnoli
*Bryan Danielson
*Daniel Garcia
*Brody King
*ROH and NJPW Strong Champion Eddie Kingston

GOLD GROUP:
*Mark Briscoe
*Jay Lethal
*Jon Moxley
*Rush
*Swerve Strickland
*Jay White

Matches announced for tonight
*Jon Moxley vs. Mark Briscoe.
*Jay White vs. Rush.
*Jay Lethal vs. Swerve Strickland

Also announced for tonight
Christian Cage rechristens Nick Wayne and The Luchasaurus.
Toni Storm's championship acceptance speech.

Here are your competitors for the Continental Classic.

BLUE GROUP
*Andrade el Idolo
*Claudio Castagnoli
*Bryan Danielson
*Daniel Garcia
*Brody King
*ROH and NJPW Strong Champion Eddie Kingston

GOLD GROUP:
*Mark Briscoe
*Jay Lethal
*Jon Moxley
*Rush
*Swerve Strickland
*Jay White

Matches announced for tonight
*Jon Moxley vs. Mark Briscoe.
*Jay White vs. Rush.
*Jay Lethal vs. Swerve Strickland

Also announced for tonight
Christian Cage rechristens Nick Wayne and The Luchasaurus.
Toni Storm's championship acceptance speech.
The floor for match quality in this C2 should be like a 7 out of 10. Just an insane conglomeration of talent.

Rush vs. Mark Briscoe is going to be the under-the-radar match in group play that ends up stealing the show because those two guys are crazy

You know TK doesn't get to pick the night the show airs, right? Especially when it's getting preempted because of the NHL. That's not how TV works...
I don't watch AEW, let alone keep up with the inner workings of their time slots. What I do know, is that is a dumb idea. Not to mention, it's rivalry week in college football. That's going to be a bloodbath.

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
Wait, stop...just yesterday ryan told me AEW isn't trying to compete with WWE. Let's see if Tony can refrain from making an ass out of himself on social media this time.

And true, sports will always preempt wrestling. Tough thing for AEW is the C show will be 7:00 - 8:00 and the B show 8:00 - 10:00, right in the middle of one of the big four WWE events, that's a WarGames, with Orton returning, and the Punk fog surrounding the show (even though that's not happening). Tony will hype his shows, as he should, but I hope to god he doesn't bring WWE up this week. His A show just got ratings shellacked by WWE's developmental C show. It'll be a minor victory if Collision breaks 300k Saturday night. Maybe they'll get a break soon with college football winding down.

Wait, stop...just yesterday ryan told me AEW isn't trying to compete with WWE. Let's see if Tony can refrain from making an ass out of himself on social media this time.

And true, sports will always preempt wrestling. Tough thing for AEW is the C show will be 7:00 - 8:00 and the B show 8:00 - 10:00, right in the middle of one of the big four WWE events, that's a WarGames, with Orton returning, and the Punk fog surrounding the show (even though that's not happening). Tony will hype his shows, as he should, but I hope to god he doesn't bring WWE up this week. His A show just got ratings shellacked by WWE's developmental C show. It'll be a minor victory if Collision breaks 300k Saturday night. Maybe they'll get a break soon with college football winding down.
NXT only won because they brought out all the HOFers and big main roster draws, and yet that was only their second-ever h2h win over Dynamite. NXT hasn't come anywhere close to that number for any other episode ever since, both in total viewership and demo

Even when Dynamite was going h2h with NXT WrestleMania back in October they didn't draw a demo this low. That Dynamite episode drew a 0.26 demo compared to NXT's 0.19 yesterday.

Also wild that for the last two quarters Raw and Dynamite are both down year over year nearly the same amount in terms of % for the demo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightwish84

I also will be curious to see what the ratings will look like once college football ends. The Collision ratings didn't start settling into the low-500K to sub-500K range until the first episode of August, which is also when NFL preseason games started up on Saturday nights. Then of course WWE/NXT PLEs and prempts have killed it a few times.

TK should get convince WBD to take Collision off Saturdays because of the WWE factor alone. With the clear evidence that WWE's PLEs very much negatively affect AEW's numbers, it would not surprise me in the least if WWE tried to run more Saturday night NXT PLEs to hurt AEW. That's just the type of monopolistic tactics they do.

I also will be curious to see what the ratings will look like once college football ends. The Collision ratings didn't start settling into the low-500K to sub-500K range until the first episode of August, which is also when NFL preseason games started up on Saturday nights. Then of course WWE/NXT PLEs and prempts have killed it a few times.

TK should get convince WBD to take Collision off Saturdays because of the WWE factor alone. With the clear evidence that WWE's PLEs very much negatively affect AEW's numbers, it would not surprise me in the least if WWE tried to run more Saturday night NXT PLEs to hurt AEW. That's just the type of monopolistic tactics they do.
Saturdays aren't great but options are limited of course.
Monday? No.
Tuesday? Maybe but if NXT beats Collision, Tony might have a spaz attack.
Thursday? Maybe but there's TNF on Prime.
Friday? No.
Sunday? Maybe. There's SNF but if AEW made the move to put their PPV's (or someday Max PLE's) on Saturday nights, I'd sort of love that choice.

I imagine WWE chose Saturdays for a variety of reasons. I'm sure screwing with AEW's numbers was somewhere on their list. Fans have wanted Saturdays for years though and I'm glad they finally pulled the trigger on that decision.

Saturdays aren't great but options are limited of course.
Monday? No.
Tuesday? Maybe but if NXT beats Collision, Tony might have a spaz attack.
Thursday? Maybe but there's TNF on Prime.
Friday? No.
Sunday? Maybe. There's SNF but if AEW made the move to put their PPV's (or someday Max PLE's) on Saturday nights, I'd sort of love that choice.

I imagine WWE chose Saturdays for a variety of reasons. I'm sure screwing with AEW's numbers was somewhere on their list. Fans have wanted Saturdays for years though and I'm glad they finally pulled the trigger on that decision.
WWE was running Saturday PPVs long before Collision was ever even rumored.

I think the reason we had Sunday ppv back then was you had wcw Saturday night on the superstation and the Saturday nights main event on occasion but I agree Saturday always seemed the best option for the ple/ppv
Sundays have apparently historically been better for buyrates. That's what I've always read at least. I know Sundays are the most watched night of TV even outside of Sunday Night Football season.

Combined with year-over-year ratings declines (primarily with Raw seeing nearly the same % decrease as Dynamite) and a gradual decline in ticket sales (see below tweet), appears the white hotness of WWE is starting to wear off.

This past week's Raw did 1,500 less attendance than the last time Raw was in that arena with several sections of the hard cam upper deck tarped off.

Serious question / i don’t watch AEW much but why does Jay white have to low blow to beat rush? He was #1 world title contender and just lost on ppv but can’t get a clean win on dynamite?

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Geez I remember watching when this happened I think they put a red x on the screen to not show the bite on tv

Agree on Christian but you can only play the dead dad type card so many times. He's a great heel doing great heel things but at some point he's going to run out of shocking and awful things to say about other wrestlers' families. But yeah, over the last few years I've gained a ton of respect for Christian. He's gotten over in every company he's been with. Fans always chose Edge over him and I do like Edge, but a case can be made that Christian is the better of the two, not that it's a competition.

Thought Dynamite was solid. I initially rolled my eyes at another long ass tournament but I do really like these matchups. Again, storylines. This is going to be another storyline that will last until the end of the year. AEW is getting a bit better at this. Sorta feels like when ratings dip Tony has two solutions - an announcement or a tournament lol. I do like this one though.

Agree on Christian but you can only play the dead dad type card so many times. He's a great heel doing great heel things but at some point he's going to run out of shocking and awful things to say about other wrestlers' families. But yeah, over the last few years I've gained a ton of respect for Christian. He's gotten over in every company he's been with. Fans always chose Edge over him and I do like Edge, but a case can be made that Christian is the better of the two, not that it's a competition.

Thought Dynamite was solid. I initially rolled my eyes at another long ass tournament but I do really like these matchups. Again, storylines. This is going to be another storyline that will last until the end of the year. AEW is getting a bit better at this. Sorta feels like when ratings dip Tony has two solutions - an announcement or a tournament lol. I do like this one though.
Yup I pretty much agree with all this.

Note to see
Serious question / i don’t watch AEW much but why does Jay white have to low blow to beat rush? He was #1 world title contender and just lost on ppv but can’t get a clean win on dynamite?

You’re correct in your thinking. It’s dumb, but something we’ve come to expect.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all are having a great day.

So I don't think I'd ever seen this promo before, enjoy!

I can see em all either laughing their asses off taking the tape off after that or wanting to fight him. Jannetty tryin his hardest to just keep his face on screen, Anvil’s ear smashed against his head from the tape, Shawn nearly crackin up.

That was good comedy.

Yeah I figured this one would be legit with the way it was announced as a G1 Climix clone, but I was cautiously optimistic because all his tournaments before have always featured like two obvious finalists surrounded mostly by guys that really had no business being in the tournament.

I would have made some different selections, but that's not saying I'm not happy with who got in. With as stacked as that roster is, that's always going to be a problem with a 12-person tournament. There's no way they could have ever picked 12-people and avoid that. The tournament would have to be way too big for them to fit every guy who is legitimately good enough to at least be some type of midcard champion.

Jay Lethal and Daniel Garcia are clearly the two weak points. Lethal is really the only one I would say definitely shouldn't be in it, but he's a good worker who'll be in there to eat pins, every G1 seemingly has a designated pin eater in each group and I assumed this wouldn't be any different. I would have rather had that spot go to a young up and comer instead of an aging vet though, same someone like Kyle Fletcher. Fletcher not in that position yet where he's an established singles stud like a young talent like Takeshita, so he can be in there to eat some pins as long as he looks good in competitive matches.

Daniel Garcia, this fits in storyline with him, plus he's one of their budding stars so it's a good spot for him to be featured in. He'll only get like maybe one win, but he'll have some good to great matches and get the experience against top talent that can go a long way for him. THIS is the type of talent that should be in there instead of a Jay Lethal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT